welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1198, 1199, 1200 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then.........I see.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad I live in a country where people think it's okay to kill black people. Gives a sense of pride. Dignity. Bone chilling death of the soul.

Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the job made a proposal to bring me back on with mo' money. tried hard selling me on the phone.

jesus

tried to frame it like i was letting everyone down and being a bad person for not wanting to work there. started badgering me, talking over me, talking to me as a silly little person making a big mistake but i could be big and come back and all would be forgiven, don't you know how much we put into you here? very few things ever really get to me and I'm typically described as being very unflappable and inured from taking things hard. but this? i had shit-all to deal with this emotionally.

i think in a day or two i'll be okay. right now though my head is completely full of fuck
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once quit a job where they made a product that had many perfectly legitimate uses, but that was often used for some very scummy activities. I admit, I didn't leave over that, though. The main thing was that it was a poisonous place to work. The head of the company was basically a T-Rex in a human suit. I once had the displeasure of attending a product review meeting scheduled for two hours with him and much of the senior staff, that turned into a four-hour meeting where he held forth with a continuous blisteringly foul-mouthed tirade against nearly everyone in the room, while chain smoking throughout. Yes, it was a no-smoking workplace. I quit when I had another job lined up and so I was only a month or so without a paycheck. They offered me a 20% raise to stay, but I wasn't having it, and I don't regret leaving in the slightest.

If you're good at closing over the phone, you should have no trouble finding a lucrative and wholly above-board B2B inside sales job, without having to sell derivative-based annuities to widows and orphans for S. Legree & Company. I dunno if that's what you want to do for a living, but it's definitely in demand.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom is putting down her cat today. What they thought was an over active thyroid was really leukemia once the results came back.

He's gone down hill really quickly. Hes nothing but skin and bones. He had a good 15 years though, never went wanting for anything.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's rough. Was the cat important to you, or is it the effect on your mom that you're worried about?
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well apparently one of my coworker friends was found collapsed outside and they had to call 911.

She was apparently well enough to text someone what happened a bit ago but because this is work of course that is literally the only thing I know.

Oh my god I hope she's okay.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Chinese bastard tried to get into my GMail account.

Luckily Google was smart enough to realize that Canada is a little far away from China and blocked the login and flagged it as suspicious. Now I have to go change all my passwords for various web accounts.

Damn commies.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
That's rough. Was the cat important to you, or is it the effect on your mom that you're worried about?

More my mom. She's depressed enough as it is and this was her favorite cat.

She seems to be OK for now though. Her other two cats are keeping her company.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope your mom is ok, DeD - i know how hard it is to lose a pet.

and sam - yay for leaving those bastards! if you can sell, you should certainly be able to sell yourself, so i figure you will be able to find something pretty soon. while it may not be as lucrative, there is something to be said for preserving your body and soul.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a conversation with another baby boomer about generation differences. She said that Gen Y'ers are communists (with all the sharing and reliance on others.) and that Gen X'ers are the generation that moved back in with their parents. She also said she doesn't get how Gen Y'ers and X'ers can be so willing to help random strangers - like that's just such an alien way of living!

(These were said as off-hand jokes, but based on other conversations with her she very much believes this stuff.)

She then went on to say that Gen Z is just amaaaaaaaazing with how much they care about everyone and the environment and junk. They're so awesome, they are totally skipping the 'generation me' thing that Gen Xers and Yers are plagued with.

I get that there is this big divide, and there are different mindsets. But why the hell do the insults and stereotypes have to continue existing?

On a semi-related note, I could do without cliche jokes regarding adults and their parents that people really love to bandy around, since my relationship with my parents went down in a huge flamey firey pyre - and I haven't talked to or depended on them for many years now.

Like, "Man, my mom is sick. I mean, you're so lucky, you don't have to worry about yours." Yeah. That is totes true. It is clearly better to not suffer the physical loss of a parent who loved you, and instead to live with the result of being raised by abusive people who didn't know what the fuck they were doing and set my emotional/mental/financial development back about ten years. Let us all have a good laugh and pass around the cliches.

And now I'm off to live up my decadent lifestyle, drinking $2.00 wine in a holey pair of pants. And sandwiches. With meat, because, yes, I am that elite.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What metric are you and your friend using for these generations? Because my understanding is that Gen-X is people born in the 70's and early 80's, and Gen-Y (Millennials) encompasses people born from the mid 80's to 2000. Which would make all of the members of Gen Z 13 or under.

I guess this is a long way of asking who gives a shit what a bunch of 13 year old's think?

-Slick
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add to the job related horrors.

A permanent posting for the Supervisor position at work finally opened up (my Supervisor has been filling in for my Manager, who was filling in for our Director, for like the past year). I had acted in the Supervisor role for 8 months last year, until I went off on parental leave. When I was filling in as Supervisor, all the staff were thrilled to have me, I didn't screw up at all, and got a ton of shit done. Other Supervisors were telling me that they hoped I would get the position, because I was so good to work with. I applied for the permanent posting, had a great interview (I thought), my skillset matches what they said they were looking for in the interview, my references were all stellar.

But I didn't get the position. Instead it went to a fucking imbecile, who is a complete buffoon and is basically incompetent. The Supervisor job involves knowing all the rules for contracting, as all contracts have to go through him in order to be approved. If this guy comes across a situation, instead of looking the rules up, he just fucking invents a solution?!. He's terrible in meetings, droning on and on about useless shit and wasting everyone's time. He blames any mistakes he makes on other staff, and takes all of the credit for any accomplishments in our office. I thought I had been pretty up front with my manager about the issues I was having with this guy, but my manager just seems to have ignored them. I was told in the interview that they were looking for someone who is "more collaborative than directive, innovative, flexible, and who can problem solve complex situations with multiple stakeholders". This guy is completely directive, not creative at all, absolutely rigid, and couldn't problem solve his way out of a paper bag.

Since I went back to work on Monday, my job has gone from being challenging but tremendously rewarding to a living hell. I've asked for a meeting with the manager, but he's been blowing me off all week.

Fucking fuck.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Vox, it sounds awful. Being passed up always feels like a kick in a groin.
Especially if you have to go back to work everyday.
It's like when a girl you liked picks another guy, and then after that you have to hang out with them pretending you're all friends and cool. While having that secret desire their relationship fails, which make you feel guilty cause you like the girl. But I digress...

There's very little comfort I can offer, just don't do rash things. However do calmly explore other options, changing your job perhaps, if that's not an option...take up a hobby or a personal project to take your mind off of the fact you didn't get the promotion.

Sorry again.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez, vox - who is the new supervisor related to? because it sounds like he didn't get the position for any of the usual reasons (like, competence). and i deeply sympathize - it's bad enough to not get the promotion without seeing it go to someone you can't even respect in the position.

i hope you can get a meeting with your manager soon - at least perhaps he can give you some feedback on why you weren't selected (probably not a good idea to demand to know why the other guy was, but perhaps that will come out.) like martian says, try to stay calm - maybe the new guy will implode quickly and you will get another chance.

but i gotta disagree with him on one thing - if you can't get an improvement within say, 6 months, find another job. life is too short to spend it going to work in hell every day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1198, 1199, 1200 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next
Page 1199 of 1246

Jump to: