welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7/15 because why not
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
Sam wrote:
Does anyone know really why merest keeps up the protestations of higher intellectualism, or what the fuck ever?

Why the fuck would someone want to act like a stuck-up wannabe erudite douchebag? Why would this be a goal? Is he trolling, or is the pretentious language some sort of a personal compensation he doesn't understand?

I am neither an intellectual nor a philosopher. Were either label applied to me, I would certainly deny it.

As for what I'm doing: in this thread, I have merely practised responding to belligerence in an unruffled manner. I am not aiming for skill in actual insult; I leave that to its masters. I suspect that without swearing, and using grotesque imagery, one can't get the rhythm right, and it comes across as a pale imitation.

I am beginning to feel more comfortable with this sort of thing, which is a pleasant surprise. Thank you to all concerned.

You fail and you come off as pretentious, dear sir.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Perhaps a better comparison would be a dinner party?

Say I invite various relations, friends, and acquaintances of mine to my house, we all sit down to a large meal, and we converse politely about various subjects. There is a certain etiquette that one must have at the table, and a guest who disregards the unwritten, unspoken rules of etiquette, will be unappreciated by the other guests.

Of course, the etiquette of an online forum is not at all the same as that of a dinner party and nobody really cares what anyone else says enough to do anything but be a little snarky, but I hope it's a helpful analogy.

*eats cookie and wishes he could throw posh dinner parties*

I would come to your dinner party! And I would behave politely!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
Rune wrote:
But being a pale imitation is your entire MO. Why the sudden objection when it comes to dropping the stuffy smoking-jacket act?

Because it's your shield, keeping you from actually having to be a genuine self who is genuinely engaged, and that scares the crap out of you. Your real thoughts, feelings, and reactions to things would be exposed, you'd actually have to put some thought into them, and you're terrified that they won't stand up to even your own scrutiny. You'd be forced to actually do some mental work instead of glide by on glib non-sequiters and the substance-less crayon-caricature of affected intellect. You'd have to actually read and parse the words of others that right now just rattle between your eyeballs and your brain while you think of the next thing to say to keep your demons of insecurity at bay. You'd have to admit that you don't know what we're talking about, not because we're idiots, but because you're ignorant and do not care to change that fact. And admitting your own ignorance is somehow so antithetical to your own constructed image of yourself, that it scares you to even contemplate it, let alone act to remedy it, because that admission would send your clay walls crumbling down.

So, instead, you scurry onto the court like someone's unwanted, tag-along kid brother, grab whatever ball of thought randomly bounces your way, and sometimes will even pick some up from the sidelines that aren't even in play, and then prance around yelling for attention like you're somehow part of the game instead of a clownish impediment, so clueless that you're so out of your league. Terribly precious and embarrassing.

Oh, and look, no swears or potty-mouth in any of that, as they are actually relatively rare from me. I'm sure the viewers at home will appreciate that bit of further evidence of merest's inability to engage with what others say without bluntly caricaturing it, even if merest himself, well . . . will just do what he does.

Cheers.

Goodness gracious. Well, I appreciate the energy you put into articulating these thoughts, and accept that these are your genuine intuitions.

I believe I understand what you and others on this comics forum say quite well, and acknowledge when something substantial is said. You insist that I do not, but I am uncertain where you first got that idea. I am not a solipsist. Frequently saying that I am does not make it so.

You are right that I find the idea of displaying a genuine self rather vulnerable-making. Who doesn't? Is it not a daunting prospect? I work on it. The degree to which I have not achieved it is a vice; but where I have and have not achieved it is strictly a matter for personal judgement and the suggestions of close friends.

Regarding your last point: you appear to compare this forum to a court. If so, it isn't owned by anyone except Mr. Ishida. That a closely-knit tribe of curmudgeons reinforce each other's idiosyncrasies does not make it a society to whose rules newcomers must subscribe - only a team who hog the ball. But I have no wish for it to be otherwise. I have never exchanged words with such types before, so it is an interesting experiment, and I feel better equipped should I encounter them elsewhere.

I never once accused you of solipsism. Only delusion.

You may prefer it be those close to you who help you get past it, but don't be surprised when others who are not them turn their noses up at the smell of plastic. You layer it on thick, and people tend not to like talking to a mask. In as far as it's affecting us, (and whether I like it or not, your laquered veneer is part of the landscape here right now,) we have the right to let you know how.

It's silly, rude, and unreasonable to demand that those who see the fakery treat it as authentic, and give credence to your unwarranted posturing. I do not owe it to you to humor you in your amateur intellectualism. In as much as you can acknowledge the vice, acknowledge that we don't have to enable it. (That's what actual acknowledgement is, by the way. You act on that knowledge, not just state you have it as a deflection.)

Constantly referring to this group as if it were a curious social experiment for your examination and observation, rather than as actual people to engage and converse with, is not helping, and it's not winning you any points. You missed the entire point of my metaphor. You are refusing to engage with those already present, and want instead to stand in the middle, making an obstruction and a nuisance of yourself, and refusing to even see how you're interfering with the back-and-forth of actual points and knowledge.

You believe you understand what's going on and what people are saying? Prove it. The weight of evidence is currently against you, as you frequently misinterpret and misrepresent people's points and statements, and ramble off on unrelated tangents and non-sequiter bloviations that are only loosely, if at all, related to the topic at hand. (For instance, your snide return to me that started this whole thing assumed that my comment about having to say the same things over and over again to the same sorts of people had anything at all to do with you. It didn't.) Respond with respect and relevance, give weight and the time of consideration to what people say, make sure that what you have to say is related to it, and make that relationship clear. If you can't make the relationship clear, then it's probably not clear enough to you, either, and you're likely veering off into la-la land again.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
Sam wrote:
Does anyone know really why merest keeps up the protestations of higher intellectualism, or what the fuck ever?

Why the fuck would someone want to act like a stuck-up wannabe erudite douchebag? Why would this be a goal? Is he trolling, or is the pretentious language some sort of a personal compensation he doesn't understand?

I am neither an intellectual nor a philosopher. Were either label applied to me, I would certainly deny it.

As for what I'm doing: in this thread, I have merely practised responding to belligerence in an unruffled manner. I am not aiming for skill in actual insult; I leave that to its masters. I suspect that without swearing, and using grotesque imagery, one can't get the rhythm right, and it comes across as a pale imitation.

I am beginning to feel more comfortable with this sort of thing, which is a pleasant surprise. Thank you to all concerned.

So just so you know the end product of whatever you're trying to do really sucks and you seem like a stuffy caricature that plays at being much more sophisticated than they really are.

I'm glad you feel 'more comfortable' putting on this air of 'unruffledness' but just know you're spending your time practicing and becoming personally accustomed to a ridiculous and useless tone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: