welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 719, 720, 721 ... 805, 806, 807  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawker: Imprison the Royal Family and Abolish the Monarchy
This is the best thing I've seen all day.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that the comparisons drawn by that article are unfair to proper crime families.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

The comment section for that article is just straight up, unadulterated stupid.

Also, as someone who lives in Canada, I personally don't really care about anything related to the royal family, nor do I know anyone who is remotely interested in what is going on with the royal family. The media have hyped up what for the vast majority of Canadians is a non-event, which has subsequently further inflamed the anti-monarchy crowd into thinking people actually care anymore.

Not to mention if you want to condemn the monarchy for things that happened centuries ago, you might want to stop and take a look at the things the American founding fathers did.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm against the royal family receiving a dime of taxpayer money, because I don't like any precedent in a modern nation wherein by virtue of your birth you are guaranteed grandiose wealth paid for by the commonwealth or whatever. Oh right and by accident of birth is the only means by which to become the monarch, who retains the right to appoint the prime minister and dissolve parliament.

aside from that i don't care positively or negatively about royal fever. It's just a showbusiness thing at this point.
Him

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Him wrote:

Also, as someone who lives in Canada, I personally don't really care about anything related to the royal family, nor do I know anyone who is remotely interested in what is going on with the royal family. The media have hyped up what for the vast majority of Canadians is a non-event, which has subsequently further inflamed the anti-monarchy crowd into thinking people actually care anymore.

Not to mention if you want to condemn the monarchy for things that happened centuries ago, you might want to stop and take a look at the things the American founding fathers did.

Well, the Queen dissolved a democratically elected government in Australia. In the 1970's. And that's just one example that's hardly centuries ago. Besides those who defend the monarchy tend to make appeals to tradition, as such is no more than right to examine what the content of that tradition really is.
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Him wrote:

Well, the Queen dissolved a democratically elected government in Australia. In the 1970's. And that's just one example that's hardly centuries ago. Besides those who defend the monarchy tend to make appeals to tradition, as such is no more than right to examine what the content of that tradition really is.

It wasn't the Queen, it was the Governor General of Australia, and those powers are constitutionally granted to that position. And you're avoiding the point.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just want to know when they're going to bring Simba out and raise him up over all the journalists and in the background it'll be all NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTS INGONYAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BAGITHI BABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and everyone in the parking lot bows reverently and stuff

you guys are gonna do that, right?
Him

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vox Raucus wrote:
Him wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Him wrote:

It wasn't the Queen, it was the Governor General of Australia, and those powers are constitutionally granted to that position. And you're avoiding the point.
I wasn't suggesting the Queen personally flew to Australia and dissolved the government, if that was how bussines was done there would be little need for Governor Generals at all.

Oh? You mean to point about apathy about monarchy? That's neither here nor there when it comes to the institution of the monarchy. I'm not saying this the most pressing or important question in the world I just thought the Gawker piece hit the nail on the head. Especially in these times with parts of the media in a royalist fervour.

ShadowCell:
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

You realize the Governor-General was specifically asked to do this due to meeting provisions for a dissolution of parliament?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis#Dissolution

Wikipedia wrote:
With the appropriation bills approved by both Houses, they were sent over to Yarralumla where Kerr gave them Royal Assent. With supply assured, he then received Fraser, who advised him that 21 bills (including the electoral redistribution bills) which had been introduced since the last election fulfilled the double dissolution provisions of Section 57. Fraser asked that both Houses be dissolved for an election on 13 December. Kerr signed the proclamation dissolving Parliament, and sent his Official Secretary, David Smith, to proclaim the dissolution from the front steps of Parliament House.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_dissolution

It's designed as a way to prevent deadlocks in parliament by dissolving said parliament and holding a general election.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the end of the British aristocracy, but since I have never lived in the UK, my opinion on the subject means very little.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In before a part of Dennis' brain explodes al over the interwebs from Him's um . . . "recounting" of Australian history.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Royal Family leaching off the poor tax payers...

OMG it's actually the total opposite...
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another entry in the annals of "what the fuck am i supposed to do about this" news: cancer risk increases with height.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
In before a part of Dennis' brain explodes al over the interwebs from Him's um . . . "recounting" of Australian history.

Rolling Eyes

If we're going to go by wikipedia on this at least do me the favour of reading the whole article.

kame: Hahahahahaha. No. Abolishing the monarchy would not "force" the ex-royals to reclaim the profits from royal land. Why? Because it wouldn't be royal land. And, to pick up on that final point made in the video, there has been times when the monarchy has exercised it's political power. Maybe not the most pressing of issues, but isn't it an absurdity that there is an unelected head of state, placed there through accident of birth, appointing prime ministers and the power to veto decisions made by an elected government? Which was why I brought up the Governor-General's dissolving of the Australian government in 1975.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also: Why "The True Cost of the Royal Family Explained" is wrong.

Checkmate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 719, 720, 721 ... 805, 806, 807  Next
Page 720 of 807

Jump to: