welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obama FTW!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valerie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
the death panel kill your grandmother government tyranny obamacare is coming

THANK GOD. Though I'm not in california, and I would have preferred something more sweeping (CAN WE PLEASE HAVE UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE), I'm still pleased with the law-because without it, finding health care for my fiance in the future is going to be a fucking Sisyphean task, unless I get a employer that provides for the both of us.

(I do wish to say that Virginia Tech is awesome, in that it allows me to define a 'life parter' and buy insurance from them at the wife/husband rate, even if we aren't legally married yet. Because otherwise we'd be screeeewwwed.)

I know that feel, bro/sis. My husband is type 1 diabetic, and he's on the pre-existing condition plan until January when the Medicaid expansion kicks in. (Kentucky finally approved it.)

It's slow, but things are getting better for everyone.

Chat About
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that some basic dental were included in this. I love that there is progress, don't get me wrong - but there has been dental drama recently, and when that happens it reminds me that places for low income people to get maintenance rather than emergency work are almost non-existant. (Or the wait time is a whole year for basic stuff.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White House issues a press release against the Justin Amash NSA amendment.

Quote:
In light of the recent unauthorized disclosures, the President has said that he welcomes a debate about how best to simultaneously safeguard both our national security and the privacy of our citizens. The Administration has taken various proactive steps to advance this debate including the Presidentís meeting with the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board, his public statements on the disclosed programs, the Office of the Director of National Intelligenceís release of its own public statements, ODNI General Counsel Bob Littís speech at Brookings, and ODNIís decision to declassify and disclose publicly that the Administration filed an application with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. We look forward to continuing to discuss these critical issues with the American people and the Congress.

However, we oppose the current effort in the House to hastily dismantle one of our Intelligence Communityís counterterrorism tools. This blunt approach is not the product of an informed, open, or deliberative process. We urge the House to reject the Amash Amendment, and instead move forward with an approach that appropriately takes into account the need for a reasoned review of what tools can best secure the nation.

Because if there's one thing The Most Transparent Administration Ever needs, it's an agency that's allowed to covertly collect data on anyone it likes via rubber stamp warrants issued by a secret court.

The amendment failed on bipartisan lines. Long list of Team Red and Team Blue party leadership and chairholders voting the amendment down.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
White House issues a press release against the Justin Amash NSA amendment.

Quote:
In light of the recent unauthorized disclosures, the President has said that he welcomes a debate about how best to simultaneously safeguard both our national security and the privacy of our citizens. The Administration has taken various proactive steps to advance this debate including the Presidentís meeting with the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board, his public statements on the disclosed programs, the Office of the Director of National Intelligenceís release of its own public statements, ODNI General Counsel Bob Littís speech at Brookings, and ODNIís decision to declassify and disclose publicly that the Administration filed an application with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. We look forward to continuing to discuss these critical issues with the American people and the Congress.

However, we oppose the current effort in the House to hastily dismantle one of our Intelligence Communityís counterterrorism tools. This blunt approach is not the product of an informed, open, or deliberative process. We urge the House to reject the Amash Amendment, and instead move forward with an approach that appropriately takes into account the need for a reasoned review of what tools can best secure the nation.

Because if there's one thing The Most Transparent Administration Ever needs, it's an agency that's allowed to covertly collect data on anyone it likes via rubber stamp warrants issued by a secret court.

The amendment failed on bipartisan lines. Long list of Team Red and Team Blue party leadership and chairholders voting the amendment down.

Man, it feels almost like.....almost like deja vu, only people here were outraged when the legislation that allowed it was ACTUALLY being passed and you were more of a "if you aren't doing anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about" kind of poster back then.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Man, it feels almost like.....almost like deja vu, only people here were outraged when the legislation that allowed it was ACTUALLY being passed and you were more of a "if you aren't doing anything wrong you don't have anything to worry about" kind of poster back then.

Sorry to break your reverie, but unlike you (apparently) I wasn't posting here in 2001 when the Patriot Act passed, nor in 1978 when FISA passed.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so: the FISA court. anyone ever wonder who decides who serves on it?

turns out they are all appointed by the chief justice of the supreme court!

and (i know this will shock you) under justice roberts, an increasing proportion of the court have been a) republicans and 2) formerly in the executive branch. and they've started writing opinions! (they were instituted to just say yes or no to wiretap requests). all of which adds up, in the opinion of various legal types, to a court that is more likely to permit intrusive government investigations.

Quote:
But, increasingly in recent years, the court has produced lengthy rulings interpreting the meaning of surveillance laws and constitutional rights based on procedures devised not for complex legal analysis but for up-or-down approvals of secret wiretap applications. The rulings are classified and based on theories submitted by the Justice Department without the participation of any lawyers offering contrary arguments or appealing a ruling if the government wins.

Quote:
The courtís power has also recently expanded in another way. In 2008, Congress passed the FISA Amendments Act to allow the National Security Agency to keep conducting a form of the Bush administrationís program of surveillance without warrants on domestic soil so long as only foreigners abroad were targeted. It gave the court the power to create rules for the program, like how the government may use Americansí communications after they are picked up.

i should say something clever here, but this sort of thing is becoming exhausting.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Supreme Court ruled 9-0 today that Obama's 'recess' appointments to the National Labor Relations Board in January of 2012 were unconstitutional, because the Senate was not actually in recess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277
Page 277 of 277

Jump to: