welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aug. 28: Woman Only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
purplepolkadottedpiranha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
locuas wrote:
okay, this is probably a horrible thing to say, and i am a terrible person for saying it, but that would be hilarious if it was true.

Now, let's say Tat did met a feminist girl he really likes and they started dating(and i am not saying it happened, this is just guessing), it could be that Tat was inspired by her in the whole sisterhood thing. but again, this is just guessing, and i am not saying any of this is true.

I don't see why that would be funny. If he's really exploring these things because of someone he cares about, it wouldn't be a joke. It's not a joke when men actually take the concerns of the women around them, and in their lives, seriously, or decide to stand as allies with them.

Yea, I would have to agree it wouldn't be funny, and it would be quiet a let disappointment too. It is like the slick cookie ally thing all over again.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locuas wrote:
no, i'm just saying that he rproblems are more than just big D. abandoning the mansion(which i believe was a good choice, i want to make that clear), a no return choice that makes her have to live a harder life away from one of her only friends(baby blue) in a world that apparently hates her at the same time she has to fight her demon instincts of doing evil things(which were probably implanted by Big D, i admi) so she does not scare away her only remaining friend(criminy), all the while she has to deal with the fact that one of the zombies from hell that she used to tell stories to is now somewhere in this world, lost and unprotected.

None of this is any reason for Fyoosh to not want/need a Women Only Space.

Rune wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Boing Fwip wrote:
Moral of the story: It would be a better world if there were no men. At all. Men are the enemy.

You are so wrong, it's sad. I actually feel sorry for you if you believe that's the point of this strip.

Judging by his join date and username, I'm guessing this fella signed up now just to be a dick.

Yeah, I should've paid closer attention to that; now I've fallen right into his trap. Well shit.
merest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be working. A time-out from the stresses of the world in mutually supportive company. Sort of like meeting friends, but with the points of solidarity being a shared gender, social philosophy, and a resolution not to be needlessly unpleasant to one another. There are worse foundations for clubs. I only wonder whether Mr. Ishida shall ever play with the fact that people sometimes take their problems with them into retirement, and that no group is without its dramas, tensions, and disappointments. That said, I get that they are taking refuge (or having a holiday!) from real slights and injustices delivered by real people who are male, so it works at a fairly literal level rather than in the realm of subtler introspective problems.

Side note: four of the six women on the grass are wearing glasses, which is reminiscent of Slick's reluctance to reveal his eyes. If it's a deliberate parallel, I'm not sure what it might mean. I don't recognise the woman balanced on her elbows.
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locuas wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
locuas wrote:
Rune wrote:

Get that? Not problems with "men." Problems with patriarchy, and what it's been telling her she is, and the role it's molded her into, for who knows how long. Getting some space to breathe without that internalized voice being constantly reinforced form the outside would be a huge benefit.

Maybe you are right, but i still think her problems are more complex than just the patriarchy.

How do you think she ended up becoming a devil person? What's your theory on why se started working for Big D?

no, i'm just saying that he rproblems are more than just big D. abandoning the mansion(which i believe was a good choice, i want to make that clear), a no return choice that makes her have to live a harder life away from one of her only friends(baby blue) in a world that apparently hates her at the same time she has to fight her demon instincts of doing evil things(which were probably implanted by Big D, i admi) so she does not scare away her only remaining friend(criminy), all the while she has to deal with the fact that one of the zombies from hell that she used to tell stories to is now somewhere in this world, lost and unprotected.

And what exactly does all that go back to? What was the cause of all of those situations in the first place?

Patriarchy is complicated, my friend, and its effects on a person's life can be just as myriad, complicated, messed up, integrated, and internalized as all of that. All of that? Everything you just listed, every fear, every doubt, every hard choice made, every relationship strained and shattered, can be traced back to what the Devil did to her, and the positions he put her, and those around her, in.
Boing Fwip

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Boing Fwip wrote:
Moral of the story: It would be a better world if there were no men. At all. Men are the enemy.

You are so wrong, it's sad. I actually feel sorry for you if you believe that's the point of this strip.

Please explain how I'm wrong? Every girl in the strip is seeking out a "Women Only" area, which is Happy Sunshine Land. Liberty doesn't bother talking to Sam, Fuschia doesn't seek out Criminy, Nique's perpetual bad mood finally lifts immediately when she crosses into the Women Only area. Everyone's happy as soon as there are no men around to ruin their lives. When was the last time any man in this comic was seen as anything but some Patriarchy goon? "Kill all men," "there are no male allies," "why shouldn't I hate (men)?" Instead of telling me I'm wrong, why don't you tell me what the point is? World with men = unhappy women, endless Patriarchal rain. Women's only area = smiles and sunshine. What do you think I'm missing here?
locuas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, maybe i should apologise and explain myself better. i would not find the act of Tat seducing a feminist in itself as funny, but rather, the irony that, with all the feminism added to the strip. After all the discussion and arguments that started with the sisterhood story-arc, the fights and discussions and all that, the whole thing would have been just "just throw any feminist thing you can think of" with an objective that would be going against feminism, and that this was all just a waste of time. i find that funny.
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepolkadottedpiranha wrote:
Rune wrote:
locuas wrote:
okay, this is probably a horrible thing to say, and i am a terrible person for saying it, but that would be hilarious if it was true.

Now, let's say Tat did met a feminist girl he really likes and they started dating(and i am not saying it happened, this is just guessing), it could be that Tat was inspired by her in the whole sisterhood thing. but again, this is just guessing, and i am not saying any of this is true.

I don't see why that would be funny. If he's really exploring these things because of someone he cares about, it wouldn't be a joke. It's not a joke when men actually take the concerns of the women around them, and in their lives, seriously, or decide to stand as allies with them.

Yea, I would have to agree it wouldn't be funny, and it would be quiet a let disappointment too. It is like the slick cookie ally thing all over again.

Right, because the only possible scenario there is that he'd be doing it for cookies or nookie. Actually caring and changing his opinions and worldviews because of what women think? I mean, what man does that? Inconceivable!
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boing Fwip wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Boing Fwip wrote:

Please explain how I'm wrong? Every girl in the strip is seeking out a "Women Only" area, which is Happy Sunshine Land. Liberty doesn't bother talking to Sam, Fuschia doesn't seek out Criminy, Nique's perpetual bad mood finally lifts immediately when she crosses into the Women Only area. Everyone's happy as soon as there are no men around to ruin their lives. When was the last time any man in this comic was seen as anything but some Patriarchy goon? "Kill all men," "there are no male allies," "why shouldn't I hate (men)?" Instead of telling me I'm wrong, why don't you tell me what the point is? World with men = unhappy women, endless Patriarchal rain. Women's only area = smiles and sunshine. What do you think I'm missing here?

You're right. Men suck. You can prove it by packing up your dick self and leaving, thus immediately rendering this a better place. And it would totally be because you're a man, and not because you're a giant tool.
locuas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
locuas wrote:

no, but i believe these kind of problems need self-discovery instead of a woman only space. and she may have a problem of dependency(in both senses of the word, she depends in other people too much, and she tries too hard to make people who depend of her happy), so she may try to be alone.
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locuas wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
locuas wrote:

no, but i believe these kind of problems need self-discovery instead of a woman only space. and she may have a problem of dependency(in both senses of the word, she depends in other people too much, and she tries too hard to make people who depend of her happy), so she may try to be alone.

She's been spending plenty of time alone. We see her alone with her painting as much as with anyone else these days. "Self-discovery" doesn't actually thrive on isolation any better than it thrives on social pressure.
Boing Fwip

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Boing Fwip wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Boing Fwip wrote:

You're right. Men suck. You can prove it by packing up your dick self and leaving, thus immediately rendering this a better place. And it would totally be because you're a man, and not because you're a giant tool.

Instead of telling me how I'm misinterpreting what is a fairly obvious "men generally suck" comic, you settle for attacking me. Because I'm obviously some incompetent misogynistic "dudebro" that can be repelled by your keen wit. Not, "hey, where ARE the male allies?" or "actually, what I think Tatsuya is trying to say is..." If you think I'm going anywhere because you are armed with sarcasm and insults, prepare to be disappointed.
purplepolkadottedpiranha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boing Fwip wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Boing Fwip wrote:

Maybe she didn't want to talk with Sam at that very minute and just wanted a place to get away were she didn't have to think and worry about those things? Why does Fuschia have to seek out Crim in order to make herself feel better about her worries?
Wouldn't your mood be lifted to if you had just entered an area where your thought and idea were treated more warmly instead with negative response?

It is not as much of a women's only zone as it is sort of a patriarchal free zone.

Last edited by purplepolkadottedpiranha on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Raal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This women-only space reminds me of some few places on the internet. Like the invite-only ohnotheydidnt on livejournal. Men are allowed in, but the topics are mainly gossip, so not really targeted at male audience, making(non-gay)males really rare over there. Also, some (like me) stay undetected, because, why bring it up. I joined for the game of thrones, politics and videogames-stuff(made an rss-feed only following these tags) Its my place to relax, I read there when I feel the need to read a topic about sexism or anything without having to fear a wave of misogynist bigotry, like on almost any other place on the internetz.
Boing Fwip

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepolkadottedpiranha wrote:
Boing Fwip wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Boing Fwip wrote:

Maybe she did want to talk with Sam at that very minute and just wanted a place to get away were she didn't have to think and worry about those things? Why does Fuschia have to seek out Crim in order to make herself feel better about her worries?
Wouldn't your mood be lifted to if you had just entered an area where your thought and idea were treated more warmly instead with negative response?

It is not as much of a women's only zone as it is sort of a patriarchal free zone.

You don't have to seek out a man to feel better, but they're actively trying to get away from men. Which is my entire point. It doesn't say "Patriarchy Free Zone" it says "Women Only." So far there haven't been any male allies, nor does the Sisterhood distinguish between men and oppressors, which conveys to the reader that if you're a man, you're inherently part of the problem.
merest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Boing Fwip wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Boing Fwip wrote:

I don't agree with him, but you're not really answering his question. I dare say he has no time to trawl through a thousand other threads in the hope of stumbling on what others have said on this topic. Perhaps you might have addressed his question in the same space that you devoted to a sarcastic retort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: