welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7-31-13 The Way They Used To Be.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devil is definitely the main antagonist, and there's a whole lot more that can be done with him than Slick, that's for sure. I reckon he's far more interesting too, especially with his Lilith/Lil'E related backstory.

Not to play at being some kind of psychologist, but I wonder if the people who are really attached to Slick and want him to be more of a main character again are the sort of teen to twenty-somethings who hold/held similiar views to him and relate to his (as ShadowCell put it) "boring slob" personality. Like I know part of the reason I like Lil'E and Criminy (and others) is that I recognise parts of me in them and to see that given comic-time and character development makes me happy, because it's almost like a validation of those parts. And that's what Slick was like in the beginning, he'd be ogling women and obsessing over sex and there was no real criticism of it, the conflicts with 'Nique were just conflicts most of the time and weren't supposed to have a real winner.

But there were really problematic attitudes entrenched in those a lot of the time, where you could see younger-Tat thinking he was being edgy but it was really just a rehashing of the same old patriarchal/kyriarchal/gender binary values. So he started having an awakening and expressing that through the characters. It was natural for 'Nique to eventually become involved in feminism considering her past in other activist circles, just as it was fairly natural for Slick to... be Slick, and provide a bit of a foil to her and the other characters. Plus, he really does represent how a lot of people (okay, mostly men) think, right down to the unwillingness to change if it means sacrificing anything.

I don't think he's a bad person, but he doesn't want to grow and he won't until he has some kind of epiphany or actively decides to. Rather than figure out why people don't want to hang out with him anymore he just wants to hold everyone back with him, which isn't possible. He's like the class clown who everyone laughed at for his fart jokes in high school but now it's a few years into college and he's bemoaning that everyone's "lost their sense of humour" because they're not laughing at whoopie cushions and arm-farts anymore.

Slick probably won't become as big of a part of the story as he was before, but I think if Tat wants there's a whole lot of stuff that could be done with him. And as people have said, given Tat's sloooow pacing it's gonna take a long time to figure out what exactly Slick will mean to the story from now on.
Rune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick is much more of a foil than an antagonist.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha! here is where that arc starts

it's the most complicated slick ever gets, and yet as time goes on he just sort of slowly shades back into his typical self--although the third comic of this arc kind of foreshadows that anyway
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, Slick is a lot like Squig, except Squig does not seem actually interested in having sex with anyone. Notice that Squig tries to improve his life as well, but generally falls back to his old ways with regularity.

But the contingent complaining about Slick not being the center of attention don't seem to feel so strongly about him. Maybe I just don't notice the many clamoring to have him also feature more strongly in the comics? (Though there are complaints when he does show up that he's another mark of the feminist agenda which stains Tat's wretched soul.)

If those complaints don't exist, I assume it's because the complainers don't see themselves as pigs; they'd rather be the okay wannabe pimp dude with the friend getting high all the time.

I don't identify with any of the characters, really, so I don't care much who the story is about so long as I still enjoy the story. Watching Tat's storytelling progress is awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
To me, Slick is a lot like Squig

No no no, Squig is way cuter.

Seriously, look at this:

Chat About
TheRiver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why aren't we shading Slick's hair? I thought it was a mistake in the last panel yesterday, but it's stuck!

Also, I find Slick a sympathetic character, even if I don't share his values.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: