welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-08-01: Looks like a new arc!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I think it's a problem to talk about prehistoric people as if they all shared one culture. Whatever prehistoric people did, I highly doubt they all acted in concert, or that they adhered to whatever gender imperative we feel like proving on any given day.

I think Jon Stewart* captured it best when he said that people who talk about going back to simpler, gentler times are actually referring to when they were ten year olds.

*Pretty sure it was him, talking about Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly

Yup. That's why there's so much nostalgia for the 50's among certain groups. That's when all the old white men leaders were 10.
locuas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I think it's a problem to talk about prehistoric people as if they all shared one culture. Whatever prehistoric people did, I highly doubt they all acted in concert, or that they adhered to whatever gender imperative we feel like proving on any given day.

well, depending on the time period...they were basically animals who were guided by insitnct. they did not have a culture until they stopped being nomads.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're calling them people, doesn't that automatically mean we're talking about humans, neanderthals, and other such beings?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask me, culture is formed as soon as people get together. Humans do need each other to survive after all.
Leohan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
If you ask me, culture is formed as soon as people get together. Humans do need each other to survive after all.

I don't actually agree. Wolves go in packs but you can't call that culture. To me, culture is the moment when people start developing. Changing.

The movie A Space Odyssey pretty much nails the start of culture in the scene with the bone.
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If locuas is suggesting that nomadic peoples cannot have a culture, then I cordially invite him to get his head out of his ass and do some reading on actual nomadic peoples.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: