welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading . . . . Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 244, 245, 246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

31... it helps that Neil Gaiman was on there four times. Odd that William Gibson is only on it once. Of course, I take issue with Wheel of Time being on the list. Also kind of surprised that RA Salvatore's Drizzt series is on there... I was really into them when I was a teenager, so it's not that they're bad... I just don't expect to see D&D novels on best lists.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read ~17 of those as a low estimate (I am not confident in my counting skills and book covers are distracting and difficult to parse)
there are another ~10 that I've taken a pretty close look at and read a bit and decided wouldn't be worth it, or that I just skimmed through a bit, or lost interest halfway through
and maybe 10 others on the list that I'd like to read but haven't gotten around to yet

plus a few more that I probably would have liked to read but I think have been somewhat ruined for me by pop culture so I won't bother

aaaaand I see a bunch on there that I probably would not read even if you gave them to me, put them on the easiest-to-access part of my bookshelf, and then got rid of all of my other books and banned me from all libraries
and another one or two that I would like to burn

EDIT: oh wait you can just click them
that would have made the counting easier
oh well

let's see
there's actually 27 in the "yeah, I definitely read that, for better or for worse" category, and a few more that I'm not totally sure about because sometimes I don't remember book titles exactly (and I used to be even worse about authors)
and some of these titles are pretty generic
and cover art is very distracting, and unhelpful here since it often varies between different releases of a book and is something that I am unlikely to remember, at least in a way that is associated with the book itself, anyway
...wow, my unassisted counting was way off

Dogen wrote:
31... it helps that Neil Gaiman was on there four times.

Everyone's heard of him and everyone has positive things to say, but I don't think I've read any Neil Gaiman, actually!

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Celaeno

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVED Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I devoured it.

It's probably not the most representative of his work, though. Perhaps start with American Gods or Neverwhere.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list mostly just served to remind me that there are a few Pratchett books I haven't read yet, but American Gods is up right after that
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Neverwhere more than American Gods, but I appear to be in the minority (of the people I hear/see talk about it).
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaaand I just now found a ~100k word fanfiction that I am most probably going to read in its entirety
immediately

welp
there goes my afternoon
Celaeno

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I liked Neverwhere more than American Gods, but I appear to be in the minority (of the people I hear/see talk about it).

I'm with you on this, but I still recommend American Gods more than Neverwhere because so many people seem to prefer the former.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, that's super weird, up until now it seems like everyone tells me the opposite, that they preferred Neverwhere to American Gods. Which to me makes no sense because North Dakota makes the most hysterically accurate cameo in American Gods and it still makes me laugh thinking about it years after actually having read the book.

Well anyway.

I'm reading Agnes and the Hitman, which marks this the second time I've decided to read a romance novel recommended by a coworker. The first time I did that I ended up reading all of Twilight, so. This one is at least intentionally funny. I'm halfway through and quite like it so far.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
aaaaaaand I just now found a ~100k word fanfiction that I am most probably going to read in its entirety
immediately

welp
there goes my afternoon

yup, one sitting

damn
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:
Dogen wrote:

I'm with you on this, but I still recommend American Gods more than Neverwhere because so many people seem to prefer the former.

+1 for Neverwhere over American Gods (American Gods was still awesome though).
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*snort*

Aright, I'm taking back that 'up until now'.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
immediately

welp
there goes my afternoon

yup, one sitting

damn

read the last few chapters a bit slower

I cried
twice

...okay, maybe five or six times, but two big ones

it punched me in the feels and then cuddled the heck out of 'em

yes good A+ would recommend very happy
went well with some electro-swing and some mild at-desk aerobics
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Also kind of surprised that RA Salvatore's Drizzt series is on there... I was really into them when I was a teenager, so it's not that they're bad... I just don't expect to see D&D novels on best lists.

Yeah, I gotta agree. I think people often confuse "What do you like the most?" for "What do you think is the best?" with an kind of "best of" lists. Books, music, movies -- people do it all the time. Also, the list is kinda bunk (especially with sci fi) when you consider that some of the best examples in the genre aren't novels but short stories, which is why a list of authors works better than novels.

Also, The Silmarillion was finished by Chris Tolkien, and is only kinda meh. I like to call it "the old testament with elves"

Lastly, where's my The Chronicles of Prydain?

Last edited by Darqcyde on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silmarillion* was a total snoozefest. The Once and Future King, though, was the bomb.

* I forgot I'd read it until you mentioned it... 32.
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Huh, that's super weird, up until now it seems like everyone tells me the opposite, that they preferred Neverwhere to American Gods. Which to me makes no sense because North Dakota makes the most hysterically accurate cameo in American Gods and it still makes me laugh thinking about it years after actually having read the book.

I haven't read Neverwhere, but I really enjoyed American Gods. Also, The House on the Rock is in it, and I've been there and it's not too far from where I live. It's a neat place, but you can't ride on the carousel. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 244, 245, 246  Next
Page 241 of 246

Jump to: