welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-08-15: Godbro Tears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
He STRIVES to destroy (in the comic) everything God has crafted!

this is not accurate

but I'm too lazy to actually write a paragraph explaining why, so here's a thing I just did, also kind of lazily

Mikewee777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

locuas wrote:
so wait...they are actually tears? she is...using god's tears...as fuel..............yep, that sounds like the sanest thing you could do......alongside pointing a gun at your mouth or jumping from a really high building with no rope or anything to stop your fall...

I no longer see her doing anything wrong. She's doing what nuclear energy companies and oil companies have been doing for the longest time: Trolling environmentalists and raping all that is ethically organic for personal gain. Good for her.

Quote:
If you were going to eat charred cow smothered in cheese, with a side order of potato strips made as crisp as ancient papyrus by immersion in boiling oil, and if you were going to wash it all down with either satisfying quantities of icy beer or a milkshake containing the caloric equivalent of an entire roasted pig, then this fabulous consumption ought to occur in an ambiance that virtually screamed guilty pleasure, if not sin. The lighting should be low and warm. Surfaces should be dark–preferably old mahogany, tarnished brass, wine-colored upholstery. Music should be provided to soothe the carnivore: not the music that made your gorge rise in an elevator because it was played by musicians steeped in Prozac, but tunes that were as sensuous as the food–perhaps early rock and roll or big-band swing, or good country music about temptation and remorse and beloved dogs.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
He STRIVES to destroy (in the comic) everything God has crafted!

this is not accurate

but I'm too lazy to actually write a paragraph explaining why, so here's a thing I just did, also kind of lazily

Well, maybe not destroy, and perhaps I'm misremembering. They're really very much not on good terms, I seem to recall..

Also that drawing is awesome. that's LAZY?!
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Do you mean you personally can't, or that no one should? And why?

...Well, to be fair it does depend on interpretation. But I'd say God is of indeterminate gender and of metaphysical nature. Far from the concept of a 'bro,' dude or otherwise.
Adyon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

What to say but...kawaii desu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

locuas wrote:
so wait...they are actually tears? she is...using god's tears...as fuel..............yep, that sounds like the sanest thing you could do......alongside pointing a gun at your mouth or jumping from a really high building with no rope or anything to stop your fall...

People have been doing much worse to God in the past comics and all he did was make fun of them. This isn't the good or evil God from the Bible, this is just a God of no shits to give and likes to mess with you.

I bet he's too busy lol-ing at the Devil that he doesn't see Xanthe pick up any tears.

edit: also why would he care if Xanthe got some of his tears? How is this something to be mad about?

Last edited by Yinello on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
that's LAZY?!

seeing as I just painted over a panel from yesterday's comic without really adding much to it (or changing anything*) but color and linelessness and maybe a bit of texture, and without much consideration or consistency on any of those things (but plenty of muddying them up), yeah

*oh wait, I made the lighting more confusing
that totally counts as a change
yay, I changed something
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
edit: also why would he care if Xanthe got some of his tears? How is this something to be mad about?

good point - after all, he did just cry a whole river of them. most of them were just going to waste.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

...Well, to be fair it does depend on interpretation. But I'd say God is of indeterminate gender and of metaphysical nature. Far from the concept of a 'bro,' dude or otherwise.

You'd say that, but a great many Christians wouldn't, and the English translations of the bible use 'He' to refer to god. Pretending that because you're enlightened enough to not think of god as having any particular gender means that other people are clearly thinking the same thing is really silly. Doing that you ignore the people who think

Quote:
"He made man in His image."

means that god is clearly a male person of the man persuasion.

Also, my question was why someone else can't refer to god with gendered pronouns, not whether god has a gender. Other people can do what they please (within legal limits), and since other people can and do believe different things than you do, I don't see why you're saying that Tat can't or shouldn't portray god in whatever way suits his purpose. If Tat doesn't share your beliefs, or if Tat is portraying god as a dudebro for the purposes of his story, why should he do what you suggest?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty obvious the Sinfest "God" is the biblical male one. And yes, that guy was a bit of a dudebro. Smile
merest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the energy value of female tears in the Sinfest-verse is, compared to that of male ones? Are they equivalent, or are the tears of men specially potent? It is conceivable (though terribly dystopian) that the Patriarchy powers its fascist technologies with female distress. If so, female exploitation of male suffering is still in its early days, and has a long way to go before it reaches the efficiency with which Devilcorp fuels its factories, programming-mills, and fleets of drones. But if the Sisterhood could obtain an approximately equal level of displeasure-derived power - perhaps increasing the sum of male suffering a little, in harmless ways, should it fall short of the systematic suffering caused by the Patriarchy - the Sisterhood would be able to ride within mecha, and go on Godzillan rampages. I look forward to that day.
Leohan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Leohan wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

You'd say that, but a great many Christians wouldn't, and the English translations of the bible use 'He' to refer to god. Pretending that because you're enlightened enough to not think of god as having any particular gender means that other people are clearly thinking the same thing is really silly. Doing that you ignore the people who think

Quote:
"He made man in His image."

means that god is clearly a male person of the man persuasion.

Also, my question was why someone else can't refer to god with gendered pronouns, not whether god has a gender. Other people can do what they please (within legal limits), and since other people can and do believe different things than you do, I don't see why you're saying that Tat can't or shouldn't portray god in whatever way suits his purpose. If Tat doesn't share your beliefs, or if Tat is portraying god as a dudebro for the purposes of his story, why should he do what you suggest?

No reason to do what I suggest or want. I just didn't like this one particular strip. Be cool.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think God is a cell.

If Jesus is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and the Holy Spirit is Jesus, then the easiest explanation is that the original God-thing reproduced by cell-division.

Or something like that. I did only marginally better in High School Biology than I did in High School Chemistry. And I didn't do well in Chemistry. Can't even look at rugby posts anymore.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Besides, what name should we assign to Tat's God? Something existing or make it up? If making it up...Something that's a pun on hands?
I just call Him Big G; pretty sure other characters have called Him that.

Heretical Rants wrote:
This is the best part of this thread.
LadySunami

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
I wonder what the energy value of female tears in the Sinfest-verse is, compared to that of male ones? Are they equivalent, or are the tears of men specially potent? It is conceivable (though terribly dystopian) that the Patriarchy powers its fascist technologies with female distress. If so, female exploitation of male suffering is still in its early days, and has a long way to go before it reaches the efficiency with which Devilcorp fuels its factories, programming-mills, and fleets of drones. But if the Sisterhood could obtain an approximately equal level of displeasure-derived power - perhaps increasing the sum of male suffering a little, in harmless ways, should it fall short of the systematic suffering caused by the Patriarchy - the Sisterhood would be able to ride within mecha, and go on Godzillan rampages. I look forward to that day.

Or maybe they'll eventually pull a Monster's Inc and learn tears of joy are a million times more powerful. I do like the idea that the devil is also using tear power. Explains why he want's so many souls to torture in hell too. Guaranteed power supply!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: