welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-08-15: Godbro Tears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hekateras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the question of whether God is a dudebro in this story...

First, as has already been pointed out, he's bemoaning the loss of his disproportionately privileged position and the fact that the entire world no longer unconditionally fears and respects him. That is not identical, but very, VERY similar to the complaints of male misogynists in which any movement towards EQUALITY i.e. bringing them down to the same level as everyone else is seen as an INJUSTICE to them. It is a tactic in which the oppressor, when faced with a loss of or threat to their power, plays the victim in order to gain sympathy and re-establish their powerful position. It is not unique to the problem of misogyny, but it is very, very typical of it. It is the core concept behind the vast majority of MRA "arguments". For that reason alone, I think the fact that Xanthe is using those tears to fuel her bike makes perfect sense.

Secondly, we have Seymour, who is the uptight Christian lens through which we can view God in this comic. It's uncertain how much of the Bible is historic canon for the comic's continuity, but the fact that Seymour is interpreting the Bible as permission to be a huge dudebro means there's probably enough there to merit it.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hekateras wrote:

First, as has already been pointed out, he's bemoaning the loss of his disproportionately privileged position and the fact that the entire world no longer unconditionally fears and respects him. That is not identical, but very, VERY similar to the complaints of male misogynists in which any movement towards EQUALITY i.e. bringing them down to the same level as everyone else is seen as an INJUSTICE to them. It is a tactic in which the oppressor, when faced with a loss of or threat to their power, plays the victim in order to gain sympathy and re-establish their powerful position. It is not unique to the problem of misogyny, but it is very, very typical of it. It is the core concept behind the vast majority of MRA "arguments". For that reason alone, I think the fact that Xanthe is using those tears to fuel her bike makes perfect sense.

Secondly, we have Seymour, who is the uptight Christian lens through which we can view God in this comic. It's uncertain how much of the Bible is historic canon for the comic's continuity, but the fact that Seymour is interpreting the Bible as permission to be a huge dudebro means there's probably enough there to merit it.

But god frequently *and repeatedly* mocked Seymour's interpretation and actions.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Hekateras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Hekateras wrote:

But god frequently *and repeatedly* mocked Seymour's interpretation and actions.

True, but Seymour's been preaching, at the very least, about oppressive gender roles and women being fiendishly powerful and seductive and the original Sin and whatnot, which is a conviction that must have been based on SOMETHING, and the other characters, while not so preachy about it, certainly seemed to hold similar views (remembering the early days of the comic where Slick, Squig and Seymour took up arms against the oh-so-terrifying power that is the female population).

If that interpretation of the in-universe's Bible is incorrect , God's certainly not gone out of his way to correct it (or at least, that I remember seeing, correct me if I'm wrong). And I don't remember him pointing out that Seymour's views are necessarily wrong, or why. That, to me, makes his mockery seem more comparable to a successful privileged member of the patriarchy looking down on a less successful member who seems to be trying too hard - not an actual subversion or criticism of the system itself.

(Again, correct me if I missed something, because I discovered this comic years ago but didn't really gain enough interest to follow it regularly until the feminism turn, so I missed or skipped a fair bit of the earlier strips.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: