welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MRA 101
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Grover is a monster.

At the end of a book, too.

I still maintain that the book was actually a taut psychological thriller cleverly smuggled into the children's literature genre.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rest of the internet agrees
Quote:

_The Monster At The End Of This Book_ (henceforth "TMATEOTB") is a fascinating treatise on several of the philosophical problems lurking at the core of modern and classical thought. The premise -- that, with the turn of each page, the reader brings self-described "lovable, furry Grover" closer to danger at the hands of the title monster -- allows one to question the very nature of free will and destiny. Is Grover doomed to encounter the monster? The conceit that it is the act of turning pages -- the literal act of reading itself -- that causes the ending to come about inevitably leads to the question: Would the book end differently if one _didn't_ finish reading it? On another level, TMATEOTB addresses one of the paradoxes of contemporary physics: The equality of space and time. The "end of the book" is an event in the future, but the monster is not spoken of as "arriving", but as _already being there_. Thus, turning pages moves the reader and Grover not only forward in time, as in most traditional literature, but also forward in space, leading to the perilous End of the Book. Lastly, TMATEOTB is about how we are ultimately at the whim of the cosmic forces that shape our lives. The hapless protagonist tries again and again to stop the reader from turning pages by erecting brick walls and nailing one page to the other. His efforts are futile, but he remains unaware of his essential helplessness in the face of a Reader. Perhaps, the book says, we are ultimately doomed to fail, trapped within the pages of cosmic irony, but unable to prevent or even perceive the inevitability of our encounter with the monster. The shocking twist ending wraps up the disparate threads of the text, presenting issues of self-knowledge, the nature of fear, and the question of what it truly means to be a monster. Perhaps the failure of our quests for safety in an uncertain world isn't so bad, it argues, if it leads to a confrontation like the one depicted in _The Monster At The End Of This Book_.

Quote:
perhaps the meaning is not about "the whim of the cosmic forces that shape our lives" in the sense that we are helpless, but rather that self-awareness and self-acceptance can do away with fear, which is mostly of our own creation. When Grover realizes the "monster" was he all along, he is telling us there never was any monster; only his own false perception of one. To put it in other words, if you but go forward, or "feel the fear and do it anyway," you too will be "embarrassed" at how you worked yourself up over nothing.

Quote:
Do not get confused. This book seems to be written for children, and no doubt they will enjoy it. But this is, hands down, one of the greatest, most lucid and simple books on post-modern angst I can think of. The message: We always have a fear of a painful and uncertain end, and we do whatever we can to avoid the inevitable. But, in the end, the monster is ourselves. Buy this for your favorite existentialist or buddhist. You will not be disappointed. I even used this book as a source for my Master's Thesis on Absurdist theatre. It warrants praise.

Gibson22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...so much hidden purpose...I can't even...

Grover...I thought I loved you. I am so sorry. I had no idea I was subconsciously trying to bring about your demise. You were always my favorite monster. Please, forgive me.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Voice for Menís Dan Perrins: Great White Hope for Jamaicaís Gay Men?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34
Page 34 of 34

Jump to: