welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 724, 725, 726 ... 824, 825, 826  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57599252-38/u.k-agents-destroyed-guardian-computer-to-squelch-nsa-stories/

Long story short, UK intelligence officials came to the Guardian's offices and smashed a macbook in an attempt to destroy info from Snowden.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this vision of intelligence communities as being either James Bond/Michael Westin badasses who know everything about everything, or confused 70-year-olds who haven't kept up on electronics since the invention of the solar pocket calculator.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure whether smashing it was supposed to be intimidating, or if the person doing it was just throwing a fit, or what.

if you're trying to destroy data, assuming it hasn't been copied a thousand times by now, a much quicker, easier, more reliable way would be to take a power drill to the primary storage medium

but smashing works if you hit the right places hard enough and don't mind destroying the entire thing while you're at it, I guess
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/britain-forced-guardian-destroy-copy-snowden-material-222933670.html

Quote:
The Guardian reported, and UK authorities subsequently confirmed, that David Miranda, Greenwald's Brazilian partner, was detained by British authorities under an anti-terrorism law as he was in transit from Berlin to Brazil and was changing planes at London's Heathrow Airport.

One U.S. security official told Reuters that one of the main purposes of the British government's detention and questioning of Miranda was to send a message to recipients of Snowden's materials, including the Guardian, that the British government was serious about trying to shut down the leaks.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters on Monday that while the United States did not ask British authorities to detain Miranda, British officials had given the United States a "heads up" about the British government's plan to question him.

Cool, at least they're being open over their use of intimidation tactics against the press.
sporko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw that; it's ridiculous. -.-

unrelated: fritterdonut, watch your av sometime while listening to savage garden's "i want you". it's kind of freaky.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/britain-forced-guardian-destroy-copy-snowden-material-222933670.html
Cool, at least they're being open over their use of intimidation tactics against the press.

Not only that, but also openly abusing inappropriate authority that's supposed to apply only to narrow situations (anti-terrorism) to do it in the case of Miranda.
I also find it kind of disgusting that they think they can control the debate by suppressing the media, in so many words even.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, guys, guys. You don't understand. They were just trying to retrieve the files in that Macbook.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this harassment of journalism is being done purely in the name of fighting Terrorism. Yes, it is a totally altruistic endeavor and not at all a transparent attempt to stifle the press through intimidation.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/08/nsa-directors-answer-to-security-first-lay-off-sysadmins/

Quote:
National Security Agency (NSA) Director Gen. Keith Alexander said that the NSA would soon be moving to cut 90 percent of the system administrator positions that it has contracted out—positions like the one previously held by whistleblower/leaker Edward Snowden—by moving to an automated cloud infrastructure. He also admitted that there may have been "compliance issues" in the way the NSA handled data collection.

Maybe this will result in more people coming out with information (read: disgruntled sysadmins) about how the government has been fucking with us.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Apparently this harassment of journalism is being done purely in the name of fighting Terrorism. Yes, it is a totally altruistic endeavor and not at all a transparent attempt to stifle the press through intimidation.

Yay! More government transparency!
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....do these guys actually understand what computer files are?
Quote:
A month later, the mood darkened, with a government official reportedly phoning the editor with the message: "You've had your fun. Now we want the stuff back."

.....apparently not.
Quote:
"It was quite explicit," he said. "We had to destroy it or give it back to them. What they wanted [was] for us to give it back to them. I explained that there were other copies, not within the UK, and I did not really see the point of destroying one copy. But because we had other copies I was happy to destroy a copy in London."

not even when it is explained to them.

why does this not reassure me about how securely the british governments is keeping its secrets?
Him

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the MI5...
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Speaking of the MI5...

Interesting article. Of course, some would argue that we might hear of their failures, but we might never know the scale or success of their other operations. Ditto for just about every other intelligence and counterintelligence bureau in the world.

Also, I don't know if MI5 was involved in this case. Seeing as they say the destruction of the laptops was overseen by people from the GCHQ, another intelligence bureau that handles SigInt that as far as I know is separate from the MI5.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could put the files on Google drive, in addition to having them backed up on hard drives around the world. Then the files wouldn't technically be in anyone's hard drive in England.

or they could do what I tend to do, and e-mail copies of the files to multiple e-mail addresses, so they can easily pull the files up.

I could totally do this international whistleblowing stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/20/ga-school-gunfire-dekalb/2677507/

Quote:
DECATUR, Ga. — The Atlanta metro area briefly suffered the terror of another school shooting Tuesday, but the day ended in relief.

The suspect, Michael Brandon, 20, was in custody, accused of of firing an assault rifle at an elementary school in a confrontation that forced the evacuation of 800 or more students and prompted police to return fire.

A school office worker said she talked him into putting down his weapon.

No one was injured, school spokesman Quinn Hudson said.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 724, 725, 726 ... 824, 825, 826  Next
Page 725 of 826

Jump to: