Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aug. 19: Are you not entertained?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you not entertained?
Yes
56%
 56%  [ 25 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 11 ]
Only on the weekends
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 44

Author Message
Theia



Joined: 31 May 2013
Posts: 90
Location: California

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered "no," but the question is awkwardly worded and I have no idea what my "no" is supposed to mean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10067
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panel 3 is meta +1
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 16633
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theia wrote:
I answered "no," but the question is awkwardly worded and I have no idea what my "no" is supposed to mean.


well, it does depend how you parse it. if the questions is:

are you (not entertained) then no means (not-entertained=false), i.e., you are entertained.

but if the question is:

are you not entertained (no parens), then 'no' reads as "no, i am not entertained", therefore (not-entertained=true).
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 2786
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
But it seems that Fushia is the only one to realize that they can just by being willing to walk out of their 'comfort zone' and try living differently, then again she might be an exception in the fact that by right's D should have hold of their Souls to some extent so forcing her back should be within his power, but we won't know until it comes up. :S


In Fuschia's case, I think it's more that she has support and was thus able to leave, not that she's got a special type of natural awareness. Without that support, I doubt she'd have been able to go.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Theia



Joined: 31 May 2013
Posts: 90
Location: California

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Theia wrote:
I answered "no," but the question is awkwardly worded and I have no idea what my "no" is supposed to mean.


well, it does depend how you parse it. if the questions is:

are you (not entertained) then no means (not-entertained=false), i.e., you are entertained.

but if the question is:

are you not entertained (no parens), then 'no' reads as "no, i am not entertained", therefore (not-entertained=true).


I interpreted it as the first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ennis



Joined: 09 Jun 2013
Posts: 488
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:

It's a direct reference, at least from my perspective, that most women in disadvantagous positions in life have them forced on them by an uncaring society/The Patriarchy. Strippers, Prostitutes, Escorts, Nude Models, etc. All people who went into those lives not because of any childhood Dreams, but because they felt they had no choice, that degrading themselves for 'entertainment' was the only way they could survive.

And that's only for a POSSIBLE majority of them in the business in North America and a few other 1st world nations, I could even be wrong in this as I have no hard numbers to prove one way or the other. In many others, 3rd World especially women are forced into such jobs, no choice given, and even here as well, at young, disgustingly young ages in fact.


Is no one else here going to address that line? Gah. Fine I'll do it.

Sex work is not inherently degrading. The belief that it is usually stems from paternalistic/misogynist views, such as that having sex somehow "lessens" a woman. I've heard in America's abstinence-only sex education they even use metaphors like "tear a bit of this heart out to represent every time you have sex". Then there's the usual "he's a stud, she's a slut" line of thinking. Oh, and the disgusting "a key that can open many locks is a useful key, but a lock that can be opened by any key is useless" analogy. Not only do these lines of thinking affect women in general they are especially toxic to sex workers. They are often seen as less than human, unrapeable (I heard the "is raping a prostitute rape or theft" joke when I was in middle school and horrendously actually pondered the question) and their deaths are ignored or trivialised. "Another dead hooker".

Yes, women and children being forced into sex work is horrible, but the attitude that sex work is "degrading" doesn't help either them or the people that actually choose it, it just enforces stigma and makes people afraid to get help or mention having done sex work because of the attitudes towards it.

Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that an asexual knows this much about sex work and sexuality

I'd recommend looking at blogs and whatnot of actual sex workers who (obviously) have far more to say on the subject because they LIVE IT, that was just the very very basics and I actually don't know a great deal, just enough to not say horrible shit really. There's probably much better educational sources but this blog is the most recent one I looked at. It's mainly pictures but she sometimes blogs about sex work. Otherwise you could just google "sex worker blog".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zhuinden



Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 282

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....wait, so if I vote 'Yes' to "Are you not entertained?" then it means that I am not entertained, and if I vote 'No' then it means I am not "not entertained" therefore I am entertained?

I voted no, because double negative is yes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LadySunami



Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 187
Location: Elsewhere

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also confused by the poll's wording. Oh well. I enjoyed the strip.
_________________
Deviant Art | Twitter | Tumblr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Onimaru



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Onimaru wrote:

It's a direct reference, at least from my perspective, that most women in disadvantagous positions in life have them forced on them by an uncaring society/The Patriarchy. Strippers, Prostitutes, Escorts, Nude Models, etc. All people who went into those lives not because of any childhood Dreams, but because they felt they had no choice, that degrading themselves for 'entertainment' was the only way they could survive.

And that's only for a POSSIBLE majority of them in the business in North America and a few other 1st world nations, I could even be wrong in this as I have no hard numbers to prove one way or the other. In many others, 3rd World especially women are forced into such jobs, no choice given, and even here as well, at young, disgustingly young ages in fact.


Is no one else here going to address that line? Gah. Fine I'll do it.

Sex work is not inherently degrading. The belief that it is usually stems from paternalistic/misogynist views, such as that having sex somehow "lessens" a woman. I've heard in America's abstinence-only sex education they even use metaphors like "tear a bit of this heart out to represent every time you have sex". Then there's the usual "he's a stud, she's a slut" line of thinking. Oh, and the disgusting "a key that can open many locks is a useful key, but a lock that can be opened by any key is useless" analogy. Not only do these lines of thinking affect women in general they are especially toxic to sex workers. They are often seen as less than human, unrapeable (I heard the "is raping a prostitute rape or theft" joke when I was in middle school and horrendously actually pondered the question) and their deaths are ignored or trivialised. "Another dead hooker".

Yes, women and children being forced into sex work is horrible, but the attitude that sex work is "degrading" doesn't help either them or the people that actually choose it, it just enforces stigma and makes people afraid to get help or mention having done sex work because of the attitudes towards it.

Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that an asexual knows this much about sex work and sexuality

I'd recommend looking at blogs and whatnot of actual sex workers who (obviously) have far more to say on the subject because they LIVE IT, that was just the very very basics and I actually don't know a great deal, just enough to not say horrible shit really. There's probably much better educational sources but this blog is the most recent one I looked at. It's mainly pictures but she sometimes blogs about sex work. Otherwise you could just google "sex worker blog".


I understand, at least I think I do, where you're coming from and I'm not saying that the women who take on the roles mentioned above are somehow tainted or 'dehumanized' by simply doing the jobs.

However what I was trying to say is the Problem is not that Women who choose this path. It's the fact that we live in a society that women are objectified and sexualized that such options are considered viable means of making a living. Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Woman who chooses to strip to pay her way through collage, what I'm saying is it's a disgusting society we live in that such a choice is actually fairly commonly considered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Onimaru



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 103

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Onimaru wrote:

It's a direct reference, at least from my perspective, that most women in disadvantagous positions in life have them forced on them by an uncaring society/The Patriarchy. Strippers, Prostitutes, Escorts, Nude Models, etc. All people who went into those lives not because of any childhood Dreams, but because they felt they had no choice, that degrading themselves for 'entertainment' was the only way they could survive.

And that's only for a POSSIBLE majority of them in the business in North America and a few other 1st world nations, I could even be wrong in this as I have no hard numbers to prove one way or the other. In many others, 3rd World especially women are forced into such jobs, no choice given, and even here as well, at young, disgustingly young ages in fact.


Is no one else here going to address that line? Gah. Fine I'll do it.

Sex work is not inherently degrading. The belief that it is usually stems from paternalistic/misogynist views, such as that having sex somehow "lessens" a woman. I've heard in America's abstinence-only sex education they even use metaphors like "tear a bit of this heart out to represent every time you have sex". Then there's the usual "he's a stud, she's a slut" line of thinking. Oh, and the disgusting "a key that can open many locks is a useful key, but a lock that can be opened by any key is useless" analogy. Not only do these lines of thinking affect women in general they are especially toxic to sex workers. They are often seen as less than human, unrapeable (I heard the "is raping a prostitute rape or theft" joke when I was in middle school and horrendously actually pondered the question) and their deaths are ignored or trivialised. "Another dead hooker".

Yes, women and children being forced into sex work is horrible, but the attitude that sex work is "degrading" doesn't help either them or the people that actually choose it, it just enforces stigma and makes people afraid to get help or mention having done sex work because of the attitudes towards it.

Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that an asexual knows this much about sex work and sexuality

I'd recommend looking at blogs and whatnot of actual sex workers who (obviously) have far more to say on the subject because they LIVE IT, that was just the very very basics and I actually don't know a great deal, just enough to not say horrible shit really. There's probably much better educational sources but this blog is the most recent one I looked at. It's mainly pictures but she sometimes blogs about sex work. Otherwise you could just google "sex worker blog".


I understand, at least I think I do, where you're coming from and I'm not saying that the women who take on the roles mentioned above are somehow tainted or 'dehumanized' by simply doing the jobs.

However what I was trying to say is the Problem is not that Women who choose this path. It's the fact that we live in a society that women are objectified and sexualized that such options are considered viable means of making a living. Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Woman who chooses to strip to pay her way through collage, what I'm saying is it's a disgusting society we live in that such a choice is actually fairly commonly considered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group