welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-08-23 Creepin' it Real
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Varthonai



Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
Also, because I didn't say it in my first comment and can't keep my mouth shut for too long or it overheats:

Does her staff seem really, really long in panel 4? Is that a power of Excalibur, that it can extend as needed?


Yes, in her Excalibur comic it was explicitly called the Nyoi Bo staff, i.e. Goku's extending staff from DBZ.

But seriously, did she just kill that drone??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MerchManDan



Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 2046
Location: Somewhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming such a thing could be "alive," then damn right she killed that drone. It wasn't one of Abby's cute lil' butterfly-winged pet Zen drones, it was a clockwork quasit whose sole purpose was to violate peoples privacy.
_________________
mouse wrote:
almost a shame to waste dennis' talent on him.
except it's always a pleasure to see a good dennis insult.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Varthonai



Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Assuming such a thing could be "alive," then damn right she killed that drone. It wasn't one of Abby's cute lil' butterfly-winged pet Zen drones, it was a clockwork quasit whose sole purpose was to violate peoples privacy.


I'm aware, but goodness, death seems disproportionate retribution for violating privacy! The drones may be evil, but they're still sentient and have the potential to become benevolent, or at least unaligned... and they are certainly at least as alive as the un-awakened fembots!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ricia



Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Quote:
you're referring to us seeing the continuation of slick's plotline, right? cause that totally was denied


I was more referring to the drone being denied the photograph it sought.

Personally, I'm hoping Tat does his usual short strips about random whatnot, and we get a Sunday strip in which Slick does something(s) major, sincere, and dramatic to turn his life around. Goes to Xanthe for actual help, completely quits porn, makes makes up with Nique, says he's sorry for being an ass, all that whatnot.


I want to see this too, but I'd rather he goes to Nana for help instead of Xanthe. I like Xanthe but I think Slick needs somebody more patient and understanding right now. Xanthe is too likely to attack him right now and that's just going to drive Slick back. Slick needs to be lead into the light not punched while he still stands in darkness. I think Nana would be more likely to show him how the patriarchy works and how he has privilege without being accusatory and guilt tripping. I don't think Xanthe is malicious, I just think she's young and passionate and that is just going to overwhelm Slick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1103
Location: Hel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shy bunny. Good choice. I like it.

We have all argued about the drones' sentience in the past...

The prevailing opinion seems to be that until being zenzapped or shot with cupid's arrows or some sort of similar hullabaloo, they are not actually sentient.

It may be that they have a sort of single conscience that doesn't care about the fates of the individual drones (hive-mind, if you will), it may be that they only have enough programming to occasionally make dry remarks and are actually controlled directly in most, if not all other ways by DevilCorp or it may be that they are simply programmed to do their jobs, and that extraneous thought is limited to where they cannot actually think or feel.

I am actually have my nagging doubts that they are, in fact, at least partially sentient, and that I should object to their being smashed about, but I'm fine with along with the prevailing view until otherwise is proven.

The dude abides, man.
_________________
Greetings, fool mortals.


Last edited by Istancow on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1103
Location: Hel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to see this too, but I'd rather he goes to Nana for help instead of Xanthe. I like Xanthe but I think Slick needs somebody more patient and understanding right now. Xanthe is too likely to attack him right now and that's just going to drive Slick back. Slick needs to be lead into the light not punched while he still stands in darkness. I think Nana would be more likely to show him how the patriarchy works and how he has privilege without being accusatory and guilt tripping. I don't think Xanthe is malicious, I just think she's young and passionate and that is just going to overwhelm Slick.


Hmm. You're right. Nana would be better to start with. I certainly would like to see some interaction between Slick and Nana, at least. I think that would be an interesting dynamic.

But Slick should speak to Xanthe eventually. I think she felt personally betrayed when she saw Slick among the mob in that one Sunday strip (I don't remember which one, but it was the one that brought her to the "no male allies" conclusion).
_________________
Greetings, fool mortals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ricia



Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Quote:
I want to see this too, but I'd rather he goes to Nana for help instead of Xanthe. I like Xanthe but I think Slick needs somebody more patient and understanding right now. Xanthe is too likely to attack him right now and that's just going to drive Slick back. Slick needs to be lead into the light not punched while he still stands in darkness. I think Nana would be more likely to show him how the patriarchy works and how he has privilege without being accusatory and guilt tripping. I don't think Xanthe is malicious, I just think she's young and passionate and that is just going to overwhelm Slick.


Hmm. You're right. Nana would be better to start with. I certainly would like to see some interaction between Slick and Nana, at least. I think that would be an interesting dynamic.

But Slick should speak to Xanthe eventually. I think she felt personally betrayed when she saw Slick among the mob in that one Sunday strip (I don't remember which one, but it was the one that brought her to the "no male allies" conclusion).


Oh, of course, he should definitely interact with Xanthe again. It'd be a rough road for them, but I think Nana would also make a good mediator between them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geareye



Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 288

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
We have all argued about the drones' sentience in the past...

The prevailing opinion seems to be that until being zenzapped or shot with cupid's arrows or some sort of similar hullabaloo, they are not actually sentient.

It may be that they have a sort of single conscience that doesn't care about the fates of the individual drones (hive-mind, if you will), it may be that they only have enough programming to occasionally make dry remarks and are actually controlled directly in most, if not all other ways by DevilCorp or it may be that they are simply programmed to do their jobs, and that extraneous thought is limited to where they cannot actually think or feel.

I am actually have my nagging doubts that they are, in fact, at least partially sentient, and that I should object to their being smashed about, but I'm fine with along with the prevailing view until otherwise is proven.

The dude abides, man.


I have to disagree here. They are sentient, even the non-zen-zapped ones. Try to remember that strip with two drones, one enlightened and one "normal" and the enlightened one convinced the "normal" one to dive into the street or something by calling it a coward (chicken call and all). That doesn't seem like hive-minded, record and obey behaviour.

That being said, war is war. The bo-staff shall reap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2844
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varthonai wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
Assuming such a thing could be "alive," then damn right she killed that drone. It wasn't one of Abby's cute lil' butterfly-winged pet Zen drones, it was a clockwork quasit whose sole purpose was to violate peoples privacy.


I'm aware, but goodness, death seems disproportionate retribution for violating privacy! The drones may be evil, but they're still sentient and have the potential to become benevolent, or at least unaligned... and they are certainly at least as alive as the un-awakened fembots!


I agree that it is rather extreme, but perhaps given the circumstances Lil Sis might not think so. She needed to do something to stop the drone from spreading those images quickly and if she doesn't feel drones are sentient but are controlled, it would seem an obvious choice.
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1103
Location: Hel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I do actually think you're right.

(Also, here is the strip I was talking about before).
_________________
Greetings, fool mortals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geareye



Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 288

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Hmm. I do actually think you're right.

I also think that if I keep thinking you're right I'll find it harder to enjoy the strip.

War might be a strong term. Espionage with lethal consequences if caught, but not a war.

Also, here is the strip I was talking about before).


I think the strip you posted reinforces the idea that it is a war...an openly declared one, in fact. It's stil in terms of guerilla warfare, but stil warfare. It's been pointed before, when one posted a"sisterhood is doing x and it's wrong/violent/hurtful", like the potential harm to devilcrop employees that war has casualties..., it's not bloodless. Cute spydrones included.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1103
Location: Hel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed it myself as soon as I posted. Statement retracted.
_________________
Greetings, fool mortals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Varthonai



Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Posts: 34

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly shocked because of how rare violent death is in SinFest generally. Mostly it happens off-panel or with symbolic cutaways (i.e. Death and the dying years). The way that the staff rips out the drone's eye on exit just makes me cringe, even more so than the first time she did it, where I wasn't certain whether or not the drone died as a result.

If somebody took creepshots of me I'd be pretty embarrassed and traumatized, but if a vigilante/would-be hero presuming to be my savior proceeded to impale my harasser through the head with a bo staff right in front of me, I'm sure that I would have PTSD and internalized guilt about the whole event for the rest of my life on top of the trauma and shame. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leohan



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes Lil'Sis and interesting character is that she's morally ambiguous. More specifically, though, her heart is in the right place but her means are at times plain wrong, as well as a general approach towards feminism that could have some working on.

It's something that's virtually non-existent in Sinfest and quite welcome as far as I'm concerned, but yeah, I don't think she should be expected to be morally perfect nor an 'accurate' representation of the Sisterhood.
_________________
Sinfest Juggalo Worshipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you object to the destruction of a spybot, do you also object to te destruction of fembots in prior strips?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group