welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-08-25: Fight Back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bullied throughout elementary and most of middle school... As one of the larger kids in class, I was rarely physically bullied, but the name calling, and teasing was a problem... especially when they would tease me just to see me throw a tantrum... and the worst part was that it wasn't like it was just one person, it was a good portion of the class that would screw with me just to make me angry.

They always stayed away from me. They were afraid that I'd hurt them despite the fact that I've never hurt anyone but myself in any of my tantrums, but my tantrums were enough of a spectacle to keep angering me.

I moved around alot, and I had trouble making friends... and every time i moved, the story was the same.. classmates find out I couldn't control my emotions when angry and they'd intentionally set me off. I got sent to the office alot, and I had different ways for dealing with my issues. Once I actually threw desks and chairs around the room... I tripped one guy in the hall and made him break his glasses on his face... I once kicked a kid in the guts and knocked the wind out of him when he was throwing rocks at me...

Then there was my older sister... She was always the popular girl in the school wherever she went. In middle school I told her about a particular bully that really got to me. This being the first time I told anyone that I was being bullied... she was pissed and walk right up to him in school for everyone to see... I don't remember what she said to him, but he was obviously terrified of her... no one bothered me from that point... in that school.

In the next middle school I went to, I developed a philosophy. Just be nice.. Just be so kind to people that no one would ever have a reason to be mean to me. And it worked to an extent... there were far less bullies, and people actually helped me deal with them. Eventually the bullying stopped and we became acquaintances. I met a really good group of friends, and in High School I was never actively bullied because I knew that being nice was just the best way to be for me. Being nice worked for me... I was a quiet child,and my mom actually said that she thought I'd turn out like the columbine kid at a time.. but rather than resenting people, I just turned out nice... and I like that I came out that way.

Sorry about the long post...

tl;dr: I got bullied and dealt with it by being nice to them anyway.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being nice. I like that. Good on you, Terseriddle.
tricksterson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it the more I think Satan set this up. These were devilguys after all, therefore probably minions in one way or another. Likewise wasn't it awfully convenient that all those drones were there. Also that it happened when Lily's friend and protector, Pebbles wasn't around. I'm thinking that this is an equivalent to some fathers who try to "beat the queer" out of their gay sons.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
When I was bullied in school, the solution was to tell me that all those kids were going to grow up to be poor. That didn't make the problem go away, nor did it make me feel any better. It also made me decide these people clearly weren't trustworthy, since they thought revenge was that important.

Eventually it stopped, which I think maybe had something to do with the kids getting older and more mature, or else the rash of school shootings (around the time of Columbine) made them concerned about making fun of weird loners.

Columbine is a great example of how America works-- shit's gotta get REALLY bad before we try to make it better. Bullying just didn't appear in the 80's or 90's, it's been in western cultural effectively forever. It' sad it took a bunch of high school kids getting massacred and becoming murders in order for us to start (and we still have a LOOOONG way to go) becoming more empathetic as a society and culture. Yes it wasn't the first incident, and hardly the last, but it was definitely a slap in the face, a wake-up call that shit's gotta change.

Actually, I seem to recall reading some things that indicate columbine wasn't necessarily an incident of 'striking back against bullies' at all, and that narrative wasn't correct?

I could be misremembering.

If I recall, the Columbine kids weren't actively picked on as much as they were made social outcasts, or at least they perceived themselves to be made as such, the reality will never truly be known. Ostracism is a passive form of bullying, but I think that causes the misconception that it is mild. If anything, it's akin to shunning, effectively denying to acknowledge another person's existence. There's a reason why in certain cultures and religions it is considered to be a most extreme form of punishment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
The more I think about it the more I think Satan set this up. These were devilguys after all, therefore probably minions in one way or another. Likewise wasn't it awfully convenient that all those drones were there. Also that it happened when Lily's friend and protector, Pebbles wasn't around. I'm thinking that this is an equivalent to some fathers who try to "beat the queer" out of their gay sons.

except they didn't even make a start of beating on him, because big D had his back. so (from lily's perspective) all he had to do was stand up for himself (even as pathetically as he did) and the bullies went away. so next time, he maybe won't even have to listen for the words. (or did he even really hear them? maybe it was just the devil talking to the tv screen, as it were?)

of course, if the drones aren't there next time, he's likely to get beaten up. but i have a feeling the drones will be there.

so is this the devil really trying to "save" his son from being angelic? or just reclaim a random soul? or does he genuinely hate seeing his kid hurt?

Motorcycle wrote:
& that said person has never been in a situation like what the strip depicts today.

i'm curious - do you know many people who have been in the situation of being either threatened by or protected by killer illuminati drones?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: