welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aug. 28: Uh oh...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO SLICK
BREAK HIS INFLUENCE

Oh hey Lilith (hail dark queen of teh nightz), welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy participating in the general shenanigans and tomfoolery.
locuas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with him, "look within" is just vague psycho-babble. i mean, i understand why she said it, but it was not a good choice of words.[/i]
tricksterson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it begins. At Tats usual pace this should be resolved in, oh, about a year or so.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so excited... please be epic. please don't revert.
Rune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget bingo, can I just get a dollar every time someone complains about the pace?
Istancow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want in on this dollar-per-impatient-post deal.

I'll save up and buy myself a nice estate in the country. With a big library. And a tower. Everyone needs a tower.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Aug. 28: Uh oh... Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Felgraf wrote:

That niggling, dark little voice that points out how easy it would be to crush someone, or the right words to completely destroy a person's day/week/month/relationship, or other such things.

You're talking about the Imp of the Perverse:

wiki wrote:
The Imp of the Perverse is a metaphor for the urge to do exactly the wrong thing in a given situation for the sole reason that it is possible for wrong to be done. The impulse is compared to an imp (a small demon) which leads an otherwise decent person into mischief.

I think there's a difference between the two things described. The desire "to crush someone" may fall under the desire to "do the wrong thing", but they are not the same. You derive different sort of satisfaction from each, one is a mixture of rebel_act and desire for the perverse/irrational (maybye with a tiny hint of masochism) the other is a desire to display power and dominate.

No, it's the same thing, you're not getting it. It's about doing wrong (or thinking about doing wrong) simply because you can, without a logical reason or motivation. Extent or degree of wrongness is irrelevant when it comes to the imp of the perverse; killing, maiming, injuring, insulting -- all of these are the same from the perspective of the imp, they all involve doing harm.

Whenever anyone has dark thoughts like "if I just jumped off this bridge" or "if I just pushed this person down the stairs" or any number of the nearly infinite hypothetical thoughts people have that involve "doing the wrong thing", those dark thoughts are the 'imp of the perverse'. It's important to note that Poe believed everyone had these thoughts, it's giving into them that we need to be wary of, answer the call of the imp and what not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aug. 28: Uh oh... Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Geareye wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Felgraf wrote:

That niggling, dark little voice that points out how easy it would be to crush someone, or the right words to completely destroy a person's day/week/month/relationship, or other such things.

You're talking about the Imp of the Perverse:

wiki wrote:
The Imp of the Perverse is a metaphor for the urge to do exactly the wrong thing in a given situation for the sole reason that it is possible for wrong to be done. The impulse is compared to an imp (a small demon) which leads an otherwise decent person into mischief.

I think there's a difference between the two things described. The desire "to crush someone" may fall under the desire to "do the wrong thing", but they are not the same. You derive different sort of satisfaction from each, one is a mixture of rebel_act and desire for the perverse/irrational (maybye with a tiny hint of masochism) the other is a desire to display power and dominate.

No, it's the same thing, you're not getting it. It's about doing wrong (or thinking about doing wrong) simply because you can, without a logical reason or motivation. Extent or degree of wrongness is irrelevant when it comes to the imp of the perverse; killing, maiming, injuring, insulting -- all of these are the same from the perspective of the imp, they all involve doing harm.

Whenever anyone has dark thoughts like "if I just jumped off this bridge" or "if I just pushed this person down the stairs" or any number of the nearly infinite hypothetical thoughts people have that involve "doing the wrong thing", those dark thoughts are the 'imp of the perverse'. It's important to note that Poe believed everyone had these thoughts, it's giving into them that we need to be wary of, answer the call of the imp and what not.

Well, you're sort of both right? I think there *is* a motivation, and it's possibley logical... for old values of logic.

As a Pratchett fan, I'd call it "The Monkey", or perhaps the deeper, more reptile parts of our brain. The parts that see a member not of our 'tribe' and think "KILL THE INTERLOPER! RIP OUT ITS LIFE!"* I do know that Carpe Juglum made me *aware* of it.

But it's the same general premise, yes. The dark little corner that points out how much power you could have over another person if you did X, etc etc.

I think we mostly agree on the basic premise and are niggling about the details?

*Yes I stole that quote from Star Control 2.
/What you are doing is wrong! Why are you doing this to us?
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Forget bingo, can I just get a dollar every time someone complains about the pace?

You'd bankrupt everyone. No deal.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Aug. 28: Uh oh... Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:

Well, you're sort of both right? I think there *is* a motivation, and it's possibley logical... for old values of logic.

As a Pratchett fan, I'd call it "The Monkey", or perhaps the deeper, more reptile parts of our brain. The parts that see a member not of our 'tribe' and think "KILL THE INTERLOPER! RIP OUT ITS LIFE!"* I do know that Carpe Juglum made me *aware* of it.

But it's the same general premise, yes. The dark little corner that points out how much power you could have over another person if you did X, etc etc.

I think we mostly agree on the basic premise and are niggling about the details?

*Yes I stole that quote from Star Control 2.
/What you are doing is wrong! Why are you doing this to us?

That's what I was trying to get across, the idea that it's very broad and encompasses a lot, it really depends on the individual. That's why I said the extant or degree of wrong doing is irrelevant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Istancow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
You'd bankrupt everyone. No deal.

Oh. So much for my countryside manor, then.

*sigh*
Lilith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

locuas wrote:
i agree with him, "look within" is just vague psycho-babble. i mean, i understand why she said it, but it was not a good choice of words.[/i]

I dunno, it seemed more than enough, it's certainly triggered a realisation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: