welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 726, 727, 728 ... 815, 816, 817  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i'd like listen to your logic and all BUT THEY BLOCKED MY NEW YORK TIMES ACCESS and now i can't read the editorials. if they don't want me bombing them, they shouldn't mess with my shit.

today i have a little access back, and learn that missouri is making a novel attempt to dispense with the federal government. oddly, it also seems to have possibly the only remaining sensible republican legislator:
Quote:
The lone Republican opponent of the bill in the House, State Representative Jay Barnes, said, ďOur Constitution is not some cheap Chinese buffet where we get to pick the parts we like and ignore the rest.Ē He added, ďTwo centuries of constitutional jurisprudence shows that this bill is plainly unconstitutional, and Iím not going to violate my oath of office.Ē

that's nice attack line - "you're treating the Constitution like a cheap chinese buffet!"
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syria has bombed itself back into the Stone Age all on its own quite well thank you very much
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
mouse wrote:
i'm now firmly in the 'bomb syria back to the stone age' camp.

i still can't get on the main site. or get to any stories from the backup site.

Yes, invading a country with deep sectarian conflicts brewing between Sunnis and Shias and an insurgent, well-funded and heavily armed sunni islamist movement and Iran and Hezbollah waiting at the border seems like a great idea. What could possibly go wrong? Especially on the pre-text of an undisputed fact like Saddam having WMD's...oh I'm sorry I mean like saying it's 100% certain who carried out the sarin attack. Now I am not saying the regime haven't done horrible crimes against their people already, I have about as fond feelings for the butcherer Assad as I had for Hussein. But how did the Iraq invasion work out? And what if it turns out that the sarin gas was carried out by anyone other then the regime? Not saying it's beyond Assad to do something like this, but at the very least there's a little doubt here. I mean I'm sure the gulf-monarchies could, at least in theory, provide Jabbhat Al-Nusra with the missile capabilities. I'm not saying I believe this to be a fact, just that I am little sceptical accepting the "intelligence community" at their word as a pre-text for war considering, well...the last time this happened.

Also, "The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." ~Senator Barack Obama
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think what the Syrian government has done is atrocious, I don't think another war is the answer here.

And didn't another state already try nullifying federal gun laws and fail?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're being absurd. Name literally one conflict that US military intervention didn't solve in its entirety.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indiana Jones vs. Chuck Norris
Him

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Indiana Jones vs. Chuck Norris

I...I can't argue with that.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you send your kids to private school you are a bad person.

Quote:
I am not an education policy wonk: Iím just judgmental. But it seems to me that if every single parent sent every single child to public school, public schools would improve. This would not happen immediately. It could take generations. Your children and grandchildren might get mediocre educations in the meantime, but it will be worth it, for the eventual common good. (Yes, rich people might cluster. But rich people will always find a way to game the system: That shouldnít be an argument against an all-in approach to public education any more than it is a case against single-payer health care.)

So, how would this work exactly? Itís simple! Everyone needs to be invested in our public schools in order for them to get better. Not just lip-service investment, or property tax investment, but real flesh-and-blood-offspring investment. Your local school stinks but you donít send your child there? Then its badness is just something you deplore in the abstract. Your local school stinks and you do send your child there? I bet you are going to do everything within your power to make it better.

There's some serious mask slippage going on there.
Him

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:

Quote:
I am not an education policy wonk: Iím just judgmental. But it seems to me that if every single parent sent every single child to public school, public schools would improve. This would not happen immediately. It could take generations. Your children and grandchildren might get mediocre educations in the meantime, but it will be worth it, for the eventual common good. (Yes, rich people might cluster. But rich people will always find a way to game the system: That shouldnít be an argument against an all-in approach to public education any more than it is a case against single-payer health care.)

So, how would this work exactly? Itís simple! Everyone needs to be invested in our public schools in order for them to get better. Not just lip-service investment, or property tax investment, but real flesh-and-blood-offspring investment. Your local school stinks but you donít send your child there? Then its badness is just something you deplore in the abstract. Your local school stinks and you do send your child there? I bet you are going to do everything within your power to make it better.

"Show me someone who says we should save money on teachers by putting kids in front of computers and giving them more tests, and I'll show you someone who spends $40,000 a year to send their own kid to private school with a real, live teacher."
Madison WI-based educator Tim Slekar

For some context. And let's not even begin on the major clusterfuck private schools have created in Sweden.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clever! once the Republicans scuttle any action on Syria because Black Guy in White House, Obama can throw up his hands and avoid having to do anything at all about Syria and getting involved in a Warhammer 40K-esque clusterfuck.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
clever! once the Republicans scuttle any action on Syria because Black Guy in White House, Obama can throw up his hands and avoid having to do anything at all about Syria and getting involved in a Warhammer 40K-esque clusterfuck.

I'm sort of conflicted about that whole thing, and a bit pissed at the UN.

On the one hand: Yes, I do not want to get involved in *another* war in the Middle East.

On the other: The UN stated that the purpose of the UN team was "not to point blame or state who was at fault" for a chemical attack, but just to determine whether or not a chemical attack had happened.

.. WHY they care whether or not a chem attack happened when they won't 'point blame' is a mystery to me, BUT HEY. I guess it's so we can go "Yup, using chemical weapons on his civilians. DAmn. How terrible. I wish someone who isn't us would do something about that!"
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Snorri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:

Quote:

What do you mean by mask slippage?

Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want to give the appearance of doing something without actually doing something. There's no advantage to going further than that with Russia and China solidly blocking any action in the security council.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:

Quote:

What do you mean by mask slippage?

Ok, I thought I was the only one confused. By "mask slippage", I assume he means that they were revealing how they really feel despite pretending otherwise, but I'm kinda confused as to how that idea was being applied to the article.

Last edited by Darqcyde on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
On the other: The UN stated that the purpose of the UN team was "not to point blame or state who was at fault" for a chemical attack, but just to determine whether or not a chemical attack had happened.

.. WHY they care whether or not a chem attack happened when they won't 'point blame' is a mystery to me, BUT HEY. I guess it's so we can go "Yup, using chemical weapons on his civilians. DAmn. How terrible. I wish someone who isn't us would do something about that!"

well, we all remember how it went the last time the US ran onto the world stage screaming about WMDs and the necessity of military intervention...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 726, 727, 728 ... 815, 816, 817  Next
Page 727 of 817

Jump to: