welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's talk about -- Fleas!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Let's talk about -- Fleas! Reply with quote

SO there's seems to be a growing number of anecdotal cases (just do a google search and you'll note more questions being asked about this in more recent times) where people claim to follow flea control regiments to the letter and are having little or no results controlling or reducing flea populations.

I would now count myself in that number. I realize weather and other environmental factors can affect flea populations, but it really seems like they're getting worse or the flea drops are becoming less effective, or maybe both.

Has anyone else noted this sort of thing? I live in Pennsylvania, right by the NJ border. We have 3 cats and one medium sized dog (35 lbs.) I've asked several people at work (maybe a dozen or more) as well as neighbors, and 100% of them have said yes, their fleas problems are getting worse.

I'm wondering if this is perhaps regional or what. If only there were a way to find out if there are "mutant fleas" around here Wink

Last edited by Darqcyde on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
anti-prophet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our pets, indoor only, seem to be getting them more often and the flea baths/collars/drops along with increased vacuuming seem to working less although at the moment they appear to be flea free.

It is sort of interesting that you bring this up it would not be unreasonable to think that through he generations they have gained a tolerance to traditional ways to kill them. They do have a very fast reproductive cycle allowing for many generations to within a short span of time. This would allow the newly gained tolerance to spread quickly.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering about other factors such as suppliers of ingredients for the drops, ingredients in food, use of outdoor pesticides, etc. I wonder if somehow we've inadvertently bred these fleas ourselves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a problem with the flea meds. I was told a year or two back that Advantage had to change its formula because it wasn't working like it used to, but a lot of places still sell the old advantage. (Flea meds are so confusing anyway, it's hard to tell what's what.)

I'd imagine that fleas start to become immune, and also that odd weather has been making their breeding more successful.

I haven't had a problem since I got a spray called Precor, which is sprayed onto carpets about once a year. We use that in addition to flea meds, and besides the occasional flea the dog brings in, we haven't seen any for awhile.

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect the fleas are evolving, becoming more resistant to anti-flea whatnots. So those anti-flea whatnots will have to bee updated, like penicillin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: