welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1682, 1683, 1684 ... 1708, 1709, 1710  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Finally broke down and bought a tablet. Figured if I'm gonna be serious about school now I should get some shit together.

I went back and forth between getting a tablet or a tiny laptop (Chromebook or the like) and went with a Nexus 10. I use it for notes all the time (with a bluetooth keyboard and KingSoft), and it's been great. If I'm in a room with proper tables I can use it, but if I'm in a room with no table at all I can type with the keyboard in my lap just as well (and it's a full-size keyboard, to boot).
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent six months with a Nexus 7 as my only computer. If I wasn't constantly filling out job applications I would still have that tablet and be happy about that.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:
What tablet did you get, DC?

This'n

I got the little keyboard folder dealie to go with it. Which was the only thing holding me back from getting a tablet in the first place.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

163 likes for some snark I wrote about U.S "intervention" in Syria. Much like a U.S intervention in Syria this risks setting my ego spinning out of control.
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we've got a live karaoke band in the area that plays at a bar a mile from my house once every month. I've been meaning to get out and check it out for a while but never managed to make it. They had a show last night and I actually made it out there. I was a little nervous because the few people there that I knew I don't know particularly well, and while I was friends with a couple of musicians in the band, I'd never played with them before.

I got up and did Enter Sandman. The song ends and the audience give an enthusiastic applause with hoots and everything and the guitarist turns to me and says, "Dude, you fucking killed it!"

The adrenaline rush afterwards kept me up until 2 AM, though, but I can live with that.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow!

What was supposed to be 10 day shipping became overnight, got my tablet.

Now, what to put on it? I got evernote for class. Any other "requireds"?
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy, well, rather than dump a huge list on you, which of the following things are you likely to use your tablet for?

Watching Movies and or TV?
Reading novels and or comics?
Casual games? Old School games? Longer games made for tablets?
Image editing?
Listening to music?
Creating documents?

I've got a fair amount of free suggestions for most categories and a few worth paying for.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a keyboard thing just like that for the iPad and it's awesome. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Android browser is Dolphin. I liked Chrome, but it had trouble with web forms. I use KingSoft for notes, because I wanted something I could edit and print later from my laptop (it makes Word .docx's). Also, do you have a gmail account? If so, activate Google Cloud Print. It's the easiest way to print from a tablet (and I can print on my home printer from anywhere I have Internet, for whatever that's worth). The gmail app is okay. Dropbox's new mail app (Mailbox) is pretty good, too. I don't do much email (school email is through Outlook on the web), so don't put much stock in my recommendation.

That's all my school stuff.

Clearly, the essentials are Netflix, Facebook, and AccuWeather.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:
Oy, well, rather than dump a huge list on you, which of the following things are you likely to use your tablet for?

Image editing?
Listening to music?
Creating documents?

I've got a fair amount of free suggestions for most categories and a few worth paying for.

I'm using it mostly for "school" I tell myself. I have ever note on it now based on several suggestions.

Probably gonna Netflix and look at pictures of cute animals with captions to make me laugh. Little to no comics, but I might check it out. Need to catch up on Berserk. I feel like I have so many options now that in not stuck on a 4" screen.

A good PDF reader would be nice too.
TIAB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen's got some good suggestions up there. Dolphin is excellent as is Chrome and occasionally you might find one does something that the other doesn't or just better and there really isn't any reason you can't have both. KingSoft is a good office suite but my preference leaned a bit more towards OfficeSuite Pro which goes on sale frequently and is worth paying for in my opinion. Another alternative to that is signing up for onlive's desktop service which logs you into a virtual window's environment with MS Office installed.

Either of the first two office options will open PDFs but if you are just interested in reading them, there are so many options and no real winners. They are all pretty adequate.

A couple of personal recommendations, if you are interested in watching Hulu, do not pay for Hulu+ unless you want the back catalog. Wondershare always worked for me to watch Hulu on my tablet and it also had the added bonus of caching the videos without ads to watch later. If you plan on transferring files on and off the tablet frequently, you'll want a good file browser. There are a few good free ones like Astro, but for my usage I found Solid Explorer to be worth the $2 asking price. I was relying heavily on various cloud and network storage solutions and it was the only one that I found that I could transfer from one network source to another whether it was LAN or cloud storage.

Google Cloud Print is easy and convenient. I didn't use it because it added another potential point of access to my LAN from the outside, but really, it's a minimal risk in practice. I also only ever needed to print from my tablet while I was at home and only on occasion. The free version of PrintBot was sufficient for me. Not easy to set up, but easy to use when it is. The free version only allows 3 print jobs a month, which is a little arbitrary but was enough for me.

Also, look into how your local library handles ebook lending. There isn't one uniform standard they all follow but related libraries tend to stick to the same one. Around me I needed to use OverDrive Media for ebook borrowing.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:
Dogen's got some good suggestions up there. Dolphin is excellent as is Chrome and occasionally you might find one does something that the other doesn't or just better and there really isn't any reason you can't have both. KingSoft is a good office suite but my preference leaned a bit more towards OfficeSuite Pro which goes on sale frequently and is worth paying for in my opinion. Another alternative to that is signing up for onlive's desktop service which logs you into a virtual window's environment with MS Office installed.

I have dolphin on my phone, I'll give it a shot on the tablet.

I prefer free so Kingsoft seems worth a shot.
sporko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
TIAB wrote:

Image editing?
Listening to music?
Creating documents?

I'm using it mostly for "school" I tell myself. I have ever note on it now based on several suggestions.

Probably gonna Netflix and look at pictures of cute animals with captions to make me laugh. Little to no comics, but I might check it out. Need to catch up on Berserk. I feel like I have so many options now that in not stuck on a 4" screen.

A good PDF reader would be nice too.

i told myself i had my laptop "for school"...it has league of legends on it now. :/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OnLive Desktop service/app was free, too, so keep that in mind.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:
If you plan on transferring files on and off the tablet frequently, you'll want a good file browser. There are a few good free ones like Astro, but for my usage I found Solid Explorer to be worth the $2 asking price. I was relying heavily on various cloud and network storage solutions and it was the only one that I found that I could transfer from one network source to another whether it was LAN or cloud storage.

Astro Pro does this... I don't know about regular Astro. When I was doing some phone hacking a few years ago I paid for a bunch of apps, then ended up on an iphone a couple years later... but when I got my tablet I still had all those apps waiting to be downloaded. Anyway, my Astro is connected to my Google Drive and Dropbox accounts and my NAS, and can transfer files between them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1682, 1683, 1684 ... 1708, 1709, 1710  Next
Page 1683 of 1710

Jump to: