welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sept. 3: Epic Cannibalism
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-prophet wrote:
This conversation reminds me of the restaurant at the end of the universe.

If an animal, in the book it was a cow, was bred so that it was fully aware and sentient but its only desire in life is for you to eat it and it asks you to do so. Afterwards, weather you are going to eat it or not, it goes of to kill itself and cooks will prepare it.

Would you be able to eat it? If not why is it OK to eat something that does not want you to eat it?

Wasn't the whole purpose of that breed for the very sake of removing the moral ambiguity of easting possibly sentient beings?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
anti-prophet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
anti-prophet wrote:
This conversation reminds me of the restaurant at the end of the universe.

If an animal, in the book it was a cow, was bred so that it was fully aware and sentient but its only desire in life is for you to eat it and it asks you to do so. Afterwards, weather you are going to eat it or not, it goes of to kill itself and cooks will prepare it.

Would you be able to eat it? If not why is it OK to eat something that does not want you to eat it?

Wasn't the whole purpose of that breed for the very sake of removing the moral ambiguity of easting possibly sentient beings?

I viewed it as raising the question of if it is OK to eat something that wants you to eat it and is sentient vs eating something that does not want you to eat it. If i remember correctly Arthur Dent does not eat the cow but chooses a salad and the cow comments that many vegetables do not want to be eaten.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WellYesYouMay wrote:
I'm guessing the pigs they eat in Sinfest world aren't sentient bipedal pigs. Like on the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, where goofy is kind-of a dog, but Pluto is an actual dog-dog. Clarabell Cow is obviously a cow, but there are other farm cows in the show that are regular non-sentient quadrupedal cows.
So you might not be mad at another species doing it, but it would be too weird to do yourself. Kind of like eating your evolutionary cousin, or if apes were super tasty. Maybe.
(Just a random grammar-butchered guess based on having to watch Disney Junior over the weekend. I'm still not sure why Princess Sophia still eats meat, since she has the power to talk to any animal and they ALL seem to be sentient in her show.)

according to Neil DeGrasse Tyson (who is surely right) what determines, in disney-world, whether you are an animal-animal or a people-animal is whether or not you wear clothes. so squig is clearly safe, as he wears clothes.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it the Hitchhikers' Guide or some other series that had a character who would only eat carnivores because it put them higher up on the food chain that way?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't remember that in HHG -
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it was a popular comedic series, but I can't recall it at all. I wanna say maybe it was Zaphod or some minor character only referenced second-handedly.

Not to say that it definitely WAS, but it does seem like something in Zaphod would do.
Istancow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were in any of the HHG novels up to Mostly Harmless, I'd probably recognize it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: