welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-09-06: Peak Dudebro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10363
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleocatra wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Felgraf wrote:


Right. I can see the backfire argument applying to things like, say, difficulty in getting child custody, since men aren't considered nuturing.


not quite right.


I'd suggest using backfire when it comes to: allowing men to have feelings other than anger, happiness and sexual feelings, allowing men to be pretty, allowing men to be nursery school teachers and nurses, allowing men to not be up for sex 100% of the time and also treating men as idiots (see: Grown Ups, Cleaning adverts where the man doesn't know how to clean toilet and woman has to step in)


It's not just nursery school, it's elementary (k-5). I remember that by middle school (6-8) the number of male teachers I had shot up dramatically. Also the fact that not all men are auto mechanics, home repair experts, landscapers, sports fanatics, and/or hunting experts. Also, just because I say hi and act friendly to random women at work does not mean I'm trying to fuck them (there's like hundreds of people in the company (a ski resort), I say 'hi' to everyone whenever I pass by them). It also means that it's OK if mom is the bread winner or dad stays at home with the kids.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy


Last edited by Darqcyde on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3398
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the notion that men are naturally filthy unreasonable creatures who don't know how to behave and are really just a burden on the adults (Red: Women) whom they've endeared themselvesto in much the same way a dog at the humane society will convince someone to adopt it by behaving in adorable ways. (This is not the only view, but is one I see in comedy shows and other places.)

Who would want to be such a person? What does it do to someone's psyche if they hear all the time, "This is what you are" and everyone they care about laughs and confirms it?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2696
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerseRiddle wrote:
Wolfo wrote:

Your avatar is sexualizing a woman and suggesting oral facilitation.
I am offended. I request you to remove it at once.

...yes in know this is late and off topic..
But the character in Yinello's avatar, Michiko Malandro, is just sticking her tongue in a mocking manner.


Oh don't worry about his failed troll attempt.

Also Michiko is the bees knees.
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2696
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Omg I think Manboobz is the site that did the Saruman-style reading of an MRA Reddit user. I will now try and find that wonderful thing.


Did you find it? Very Happy
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3398
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Omg I think Manboobz is the site that did the Saruman-style reading of an MRA Reddit user. I will now try and find that wonderful thing.


Did you find it? Very Happy


No, I got distracted by all the other awesome things. I actually spent most of the early morning reading it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1098
Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:

And toast.

I don't make the toast though, Sebastian makes the toast.

Sebastian's a toaster.


I thought this was important enough to warrant a visual aid.

I should warn anyone interested that Sebastian isn't a particularly polite toaster.


_________________
Skipper of the Chipper Clipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jody



Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is the Saruman reading in question:

http://manboobz.com/2013/09/06/my-seed-is-gold-a-saruman-esque-dramatic-reading/

Enjoy! Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10363
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
I believe this is the Saruman reading in question:

http://manboobz.com/2013/09/06/my-seed-is-gold-a-saruman-esque-dramatic-reading/

Enjoy! Smile


"magical unicorn pussy"

And I was just talking about bestiality elsewhere, and here we have a horse/cat fucker.

Also, gold must've dropped A LOT from the $1,000 or so/ oz. I heard it valued at the other day.

Lastly, that's proof of concept of "how to win at the internet"
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hekateras



Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 61

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:

It's dismissive because, um, large chunks of the patriarchy include/involve *actively oppressing* people that do not fit into the standard gender binary or sexuality? Just because they have the ability to be misyogynistic doesn't mean they *aren't being oppressed* by the patriarchy. I would like to point to recent events in, oh, say, Russia, as an example.


To call that 'backfiring' instead of 'oppression' seems to be slightly insulting, condescending, and quite frankly dismissive to the people being jailed, etc for being gay. Or the folks in the US who have been murdered because they're gay.

(Note: I am a cisgendered, heterosexual male. So this isn't, and can't, be about 'me me me', since I'm kind of focusing on men that, well, are not, by definition, me.)

If you're going to argue that anyone who has the 'ability' to profit from the patriarchy can't actually be oppressed by it, I'm... not.. really sure how to respond to that. Sure. They can 'benefit' from the patriarchy if they completely hide who they are, chose not to rock the boat, and retreat completely into, say, self-loathing.

That seems like a pretty shitty 'benefit'.

But I guess people who choose not to do that and get jailed or fired for being gay aren't actually being oppressed, they're just being 'backfired' on.


Sorry for not responding earlier, my internet was being wonky.

I see what you mean, but I'm still not sure why the term 'backfiring' would be considered insulting. To clarify, I don't mean it on a personal scale, but on the scale of society. If I understood correctly, you are basically saying that if the men are suffering for not fitting the specific mold of man the patriarchy is designed to offer benefits to, then it qualifies as oppression and using the term 'backfiring' isn't suitable.

The reason I disagree with this is because the specific mold of man being lauded by the patriarchy is not a given constant. Though some things have stayed consistent, the patriarchy's idea of the perfect worthy man has shifted through the ages in accordance to other trends, and the image of masculinity was different if we compare, say, the modern Western world, Renaissance through Victorian-era Europe, and Ancient Rome as well as Ancient Greece (particularly interesting because their society often endorsed what we could call hypermasculinity while also having a very different attitude towards (male) homosexual behaviour than we generally do). Despite the shifting image of desirable masculinity, these societies without a doubt tended to be very patriarchal where treatment of women was concerned.

What I'm saying is this: The patriarchy is designed to oppress women regardless of whether they follow the contradictory roles assigned to them or not, and to reliably benefit men who do follow the rules. As such, the system oppresses women while backfiring on some of the men it should, ideally, benefit. I also agree that the behaviour towards those men who do not follow these "rules" definitely qualifies as oppressive.

But the difference is in the presence of a winning condition for men in this imaginary contract, and the utter absence of it for women - a woman has the choice between being submissive to a man in her decision-making and having her rights and her own desires trodden over in the process, or defying the pressure to be submissive and suffering the at best social shunning, at worst violent and potentially lethal backlash from it. As you put it, men can benefit from the patriarchy if they hide completely who they are and choose not to rock the boat et cetera. Yes, it may be a pretty shitty benefit, but it is still a benefit and a freedom women fundamentally do not have.

For that reason, I feel that statements like 'but the patriarchy oppresses men sometimes too!' risks drawing a false equivalent and ignoring the fundamental differences in the way the patriarchy treats members of one side of its imposed gender binary versus the other.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2696
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Manboobz. But I have to tell myself that 90% of what s/he mocks on that site are trolls because I don't think I could handle it if these were people who actually believed it.

Not unless we can send them to Mercury.
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10363
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
I love Manboobz. But I have to tell myself that 90% of what s/he mocks on that site are trolls because I don't think I could handle it if these were people who actually believed it.

Not unless we can send them to Mercury.

You've never heard of Jersey Shore? Wink
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10363
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Beep: A disproportionate number of Beeps end up not being said.
Whoosh: Why are you talking about Beeps? We are all onomatopaeia, and we should be concerned about all onomatopoeia's rates of utterance.
Beep: But when we do that, Whoosh's take over the floor, and every other sound us drowned out.
Whoosh: Well, clearly that's your own fault because in my experience, any Whoosh which works hard can get uttered.
Beep: That could have something to do with a ton of stories being made that include disproportionate Whoosh's and provide no opportunity for Beeps.
Whoosh: You're saying that's my fault.
Beep: Really? Because I'm pretty sure I said a disproportionate number of beeps end up not being said. Whoosh's are said more often. How is stating these facts blaming you?
Whoosh: Because you're saying Whoosh's get things they haven't earned because they're taking them from Beeps!
Beep: Do you choose which stories are written?
Whoosh: No.
Beep: Then you personally aren't to blame for Beeps not being said, because you didn't set the parameters.

Whoosh: So why are you telling me this if it isn't my fault and I can't press a magic button to fix it?
Beep: Because of the position you occupy, you are unaware of the many effects not being uttered has on onomatopoeia. My saying that Beeps are disproportionately denied utterance is a starting point for sharing the rest and then fixing the problems.
Whoosh: So I'm not supposed to say anything, and I have to pretend Whoosh's have no problems? You are vile.
Beep: You can talk, but since the experience of Whoosh's is well knwn to everyone and the experience of Beeps is not, Beeps need some time and a platform to share their experience before we Onomatopoeia can move forward.

Bippity-Boop: I hope you're both planning on including a place for Bippity-Boops on ths platform.
Interrobang: And don't forget punctuation.

Beep: Ummm...We can work on your problems later. Once the Beeps have moved up

Interrobang: What?!
Bippity-Boop: Oh... Huh. Well, gee, thanks for letting me make this Beeps Representation poster and waving it at a million rallies.

Beep: No problem.

Whoosh: Now, see, this is proof that you all are craven liars, because you won't help each other. So if you'll excuse my, I've got to assist a superhero flying to aid a poor defenseless victim.



(No serious posts ever, my ass!)


Hey, I forgot to ask, is this original, and if so canI repost it elsewhere and what attribution should I use if I do? feel free to pm me.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2696
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Yinello wrote:
I love Manboobz. But I have to tell myself that 90% of what s/he mocks on that site are trolls because I don't think I could handle it if these were people who actually believed it.

Not unless we can send them to Mercury.

You've never heard of Jersey Shore? Wink


Even the tv people of Jersey Shore couldn't handle these guys.
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1182
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evercleric wrote:
A young✔, white✔, male✔, wealthy✔, Christian✔, hetero-✔, cis✔ frat boy✘.


Whoops, guess I'm a terrible person.
_________________
To get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences. The work, not the people. Your own action, not any possible object of your charity.
-Howard Roark, The Fountainhead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3315

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
evercleric wrote:
A young✔, white✔, male✔, wealthy✔, Christian✔, hetero-✔, cis✔ frat boy✘.


Whoops, guess I'm a terrible person.


No you just have the fewest possible stumbling blocks to success and most of the western world is aimed at your sensibilities and desires.

Now if you use the above fact to become a bitter asshole about people who don't fit that mold trying to make more of the world accomidate their sensibilities and desires...then you are kind of a terrible person.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group