welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-09-08: Shadow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalmBlueSea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. I think I get it a little more.

So, 'Nique's been getting tomatoes thrown at her for quite awhile, right? I don't recall many strips where she's having a good night up there since she started ranting against the patriarchy and spreading feminism. People in that audience don't tend to listen to her, and yet she still does it. Constantly.

Bullshit psychoanalysis time:

I think her attitude has become like Sapphire's: hating (at least a portion of) the audience that she performs for.

But if Sapphire let's her resentment flow into her act, she'd be fired and out of money. She must be calm on stage.

'Nique has no such inhibitions; she can't be fired from open-mic. All that festering anger from the way she used to be so objectified by the dudebro portion of her audience (and possibly the way she played to it) is free to spill over into every word she speaks, every lyric she sings; at least when in the presence of said dudebros - pretty damn often. And yet, she still frequents the venue.

I think she just likes screaming at these people: telling them they're wrong, belittling them as children, shaming them in front of the crowd. And to a point, maybe that's nessessary. But, we already know the Patriarchy is run by the Devil, and the people that maintain that worldview are heading for Hell.

When she gets snarky and haughty with the dudebros, she really is just poking the damned: the mic being her pitchfork of choice.

So, where might this be going? Personally, I hope she actively tries to get better at communicating feminist ideals to the OTHER people that really need to hear them and be convinced by them: the Hellbound assholes that try so hard to keep liberty JUUUST out of the reach of Patriarchy's victims.

And then get that woman a big-wheel and a megaphone.

Last edited by CalmBlueSea on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in Sinfest, you can't call the police when assaulted by vegetables. Razz
cleocatra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She doesn't want to have all of these tomatoes thrown at her and thinks about taking revenge, so the shadow of her past encourages her to behave devlish and hands her the tools to do it.

Just depends whether she does it or not. She could easily go back to her old ways of sending people to hell, as it's easier but it's all about her standards and perhaps morals? Whether she'll continue to try to spread her own message and be unpopular, or whether she'll spread the patriarchy's message to take the easy way out?
The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Only in Sinfest, you can't call the police when assaulted by vegetables. Razz

Maybe she did. Maybe it didn't help. I figure at least one of three things could have happened:

1) The club said they didn't want that kind of trouble and if she did it again she'd be blacklisted.

2) It was her word against theirs with insufficient evidence supporting either.

3) The cop, being a less then stellar example of a law-keeper, said "Well if you don't want them to throw tomatoes at you, stop putting yourself in a situation where they can do it." and left it at that.

Plus some people have had bad experiences and literally would not call the cops to save their life.
RaphEmer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She looks like she's about to do something in panel 5, and then notices her shadow.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mic will be her weapon against them.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take vengeance.

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Welp, I'm confused.

I take this strip as a cautionary tale for those who espouse feminist beliefs and might wind up becoming like those they rally against. I'm thinking Tat's saying "don't stoop to their level" or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Welp, I'm confused.

I take this strip as a cautionary tale for those who espouse feminist beliefs and might wind up becoming like those they rally against. I'm thinking Tat's saying "don't stoop to their level" or something like that.

I'm more reminded of that kung-fu saying. "Fight to defend, not for revenge" or something like that.
zarus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
so slick has his demonic reflection... and nique has a demonic shadow.

it'd be really fucked up if they were to ever team up.

They probably wouldn't. It's more likely that she'd impale him or something, even devil-slick is weak. Or he'd become her minion, which would be kind of funny.

Monique's earlier material was a lot more vitriolic and sarcastic, her new material is "sanitized." She needs to learn from young(er) 'Nique.
Sir Craigius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be Careful Monique. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Cosume you it will!
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:
They probably wouldn't. It's more likely that she'd impale him or something, even devil-slick is weak.

i dont know dude. he single-handedly fuckin destroyed paradise and the rest of sinfest city. i'm pretty sure that shit like that pretty much disqualifies you from being categorized as "weak."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Craigius wrote:
Be Careful Monique. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Cosume you it will!

Hey Yinello, we've just been pwned! Well played Sir, well played Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
swicked

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, her open hatred fuels their open hatred. Maybe that's part of playing into the system. By giving into that hatred you grow closer to the devil.
I mean, the patriarchy isn't an end onto itself, but a means of corrupting society... or, really, IS a corrupt society.
Fighting hate with hate might be part of his plan. As long as men and women fight each other, the society of hate thrives.
I guess, at the end of the day, he's just a warmonger and, given there must always be men and women, a war between them on any scale could never end. Not a bad way to promote hate, really.

I wonder how the sisterhood avoids this. Times of peace help with their women-only zone, and maintaining a fight against the devil and his factories themselves help too, but there has to be some risk when they decide to be physically aggressive toward their enemies.

Similarly, I wonder if that one rogue fembot is at risk. She beat the crap out of that one fembot-owner that threw away his model, right? I would think she couldn't become a devil girl due to being a robot, but it would certainly be interesting if she could.
zarus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that the Sisterhood's probably MORE powerful than the Devil's... gang? The Devil has like 2 bodyguards and a strip club and a bunch of robots that can be programmed to rebel at any time, while the Sisterhood has at least 6 card-carrying members, at least 2 of whom are capable of crippling his organization by herself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: