welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 729, 730, 731 ... 805, 806, 807  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
TIAB wrote:
Yeah, except that Android isn't free.

True. Ironically, the biggest cost is licensing fees to Microsoft. So, I don't know how the cost to license WP compares to the cost of licensing IP to run Android... but whatever it is, still almost no one is making WP8 phones. So maybe all they need is to get better apps. Or to sell their phones for next to nothing to get enough users to lure developers in (which, if Surface is any indicator, they're not likely to do)... I dunno. Not really my area.

Microsoft makes more money from patent licensing through Android handsets than it does through all of Windows Phone 8, so even if Windows on a phone doesn't work out they still get a substantial revenue stream from the competition.

Meanwhile, the independent remnant of Nokia retains all their patents (MS is only getting a good deal on a license for them through the buy-out), and since they won't have a physical hardware offering to counter-sue anymore, "defense" of their patents against other handset makers might become more of an issue for the market than it already was. Nokia has tons of phones tech patented, and no vulnerability to countersuits because they're not shipping phones that could infringe someone else's patents. It almost seems like the perfect recipe to create a super Non-Practicing Entity to roll the market, threatening the established players into costly court battles to encourage extremely favorable settlements.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patent wars killed the radio star

Oh-a oh
Oh-a oh
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastman Chemical may have effectively used the courts to punish and chill legitimate scientific investigation of their marketing claims.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone say something about US public schools pissing away money?

Quote:
Philadelphia - The School District of Philadelphia, the eighth largest school district in the United States, nestled in the country’s fifth largest city, will make history when it permanently closes it doors within the next two years.

While Philadelphia is one of the largest school districts in the country, it is also one of the most bankrupt. The district will start the 2013-2014 school on September 9 but stares at a $304 million deficit. If it weren’t for the city borrowing $50 million on behalf of the school district, none of the 218 public schools would be opening next week. The slight infusion of money allows Superintendent William Hite to open schools on time but it’s far from meeting the needs of the district that had to lay off 20 percent of its total staff over the summer. It was the second consecutive year of thinning out staff that saw 3,800 teacher and staff positions

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/357577#ixzz2e3vEpjze
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
It'd make some sense if windows phone was even one percent of microsoft's income. Declaring all of windows dead because one version of it fails is way over the top.

According to BBC financial news I was listening to today (yay college radio stations), MS lost $18 billion in their market cap in 3 days after the announcement. Basically, they lost all the investment they gained from the announcement of Ballmer's departure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Africa's Executive Council confuses me

Blue light brigades?

That's a thing?

what?

srsly
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Michael wrote:
It'd make some sense if windows phone was even one percent of microsoft's income. Declaring all of windows dead because one version of it fails is way over the top.

According to BBC financial news I was listening to today (yay college radio stations), MS lost $18 billion in their market cap in 3 days after the announcement. Basically, they lost all the investment they gained from the announcement of Ballmer's departure.

A different look at MS and their future: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/09/07/not-even-bill-gates-could-save-microsoft.aspx

So, it seems to me, if more corporations, schools, governments, and other institutions that make up the majority of MS's business customers in the same way end consumers are shifting away from PC's, then they'll be in really deep shit.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who's watching the Charlie Rose interview of Bashar Hafez al-Assad tomorrow?
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/01/21/saudi-inmates-fight-syria-commute-death-sentences/1852629/

The Saudis have sent over a thousand death row inmates to fight in Syria, in exchange for commuted sentences and salaries paid to their families. I feel like I seen this plot several times before...
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/427673/WORLD-EXCLUSIVE-Prince-Andrew-held-at-gunpoint-in-Buckingham-Palace-terror

The URL gives it away, but the police found a suspicion man in the gardens of Buckingham Palace. They held him at gunpoint until he was identified... as Prince Andrew.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it seems that if you live in iowa, you can get a gun permit even if you are blind.

now, i want to be sympathetic to people with disabilities and all, but i do feel that one needs to accept that maybe you just have to live with the fact that you can't do everything you want to. then again, the article points out the real disability that no gun law seems to cover:
Quote:
“There’s no reason solely on the (basis) of blindness that a blind person shouldn’t be allowed to carry a weapon,” Danielsen said. “Presumably they’re going to have enough sense not to use a weapon in a situation where they would endanger other people, just like we would expect other people to have that common sense.”

one might _expect_ common sense, but observation tells us it's actually pretty rare. and sadly, it doesn't seem to come up on the application process for a gun.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh crap. this sounds like the start of a joke.

michelle bachman, louie gohmert and steve king went to egypt - and....well.......
Quote:
As for General Sisi and Egypt’s military leaders, Mr. Gohmert said they reminded him of Thomas Jefferson’s declaration of “eternal hostility to every form of tyranny over the minds of men.”

“Stand strong, Egypt,” he said. “Stand firm.”

Quote:
Amplifying on the new government’s portrayal of its crackdown as a battle against terrorism, Mrs. Bachmann wrongly implied a link between the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and the Muslim Brotherhood, the Islamist group whose political party dominated elections after the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak and now leads the opposition to the takeover.

“We have seen the threat that the Muslim Brotherhood has posed around the world. We stand against this great evil,” she said, adding: “We remember who caused 9/11. We remember who it was that killed 3,000 brave Americans.”

Quote:
Brotherhood leaders say the group has denounced the use of violence as a political tool in Egypt for a half-century. It condemned the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, which were, in fact, carried out by Al Qaeda. The Brotherhood has explicitly opposed the theology and tactics of violent Islamist groups like Al Qaeda for decades, and Al Qaeda scorns the Brotherhood for its commitment to nonviolence, elections and gradual change.

But the American lawmakers repeatedly described the Brotherhood as an Qaeda-type terrorist group. “The American people do not support the Muslim Brotherhood,” Mr. King assured. “We oppose all forms of terror and terrorism.”

i guess we can't stop these people from leaving the country - but is there any way we can not let them back in?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
so it seems that if you live in iowa, you can get a gun permit even if you are blind.

now, i want to be sympathetic to people with disabilities and all, but i do feel that one needs to accept that maybe you just have to live with the fact that you can't do everything you want to. then again, the article points out the real disability that no gun law seems to cover:
Quote:
“There’s no reason solely on the (basis) of blindness that a blind person shouldn’t be allowed to carry a weapon,” Danielsen said. “Presumably they’re going to have enough sense not to use a weapon in a situation where they would endanger other people, just like we would expect other people to have that common sense.”

one might _expect_ common sense, but observation tells us it's actually pretty rare. and sadly, it doesn't seem to come up on the application process for a gun.

Having tunnel vision in an eye counts as that eye being "legally blind", but that's still some dumb, weird shit.
TIAB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This town is so much classier with the students back...

Oh, and two weeks ago there were some attacks involving a blowgun.

Uh, I don't suppose anyone's got some brilliant new research to announce from the university? No? *sigh*
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UIUC always has cool research happening, that's what makes it so boring! Now blowguns... that's unique!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 729, 730, 731 ... 805, 806, 807  Next
Page 730 of 807

Jump to: