welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-09-08: Shadow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
winterflame

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalmBlueSea wrote:
Ah. I think I get it a little more.

So, 'Nique's been getting tomatoes thrown at her for quite awhile, right? I don't recall many strips where she's having a good night up there since she started ranting against the patriarchy and spreading feminism. People in that audience don't tend to listen to her, and yet she still does it. Constantly.

Bullshit psychoanalysis time:

I think her attitude has become like Sapphire's: hating (at least a portion of) the audience that she performs for.

But if Sapphire let's her resentment flow into her act, she'd be fired and out of money. She must be calm on stage.

'Nique has no such inhibitions; she can't be fired from open-mic. All that festering anger from the way she used to be so objectified by the dudebro portion of her audience (and possibly the way she played to it) is free to spill over into every word she speaks, every lyric she sings; at least when in the presence of said dudebros - pretty damn often. And yet, she still frequents the venue.

I think she just likes screaming at these people: telling them they're wrong, belittling them as children, shaming them in front of the crowd. And to a point, maybe that's nessessary. But, we already know the Patriarchy is run by the Devil, and the people that maintain that worldview are heading for Hell.

When she gets snarky and haughty with the dudebros, she really is just poking the damned: the mic being her pitchfork of choice.

So, where might this be going? Personally, I hope she actively tries to get better at communicating feminist ideals to the OTHER people that really need to hear them and be convinced by them: the Hellbound assholes that try so hard to keep liberty JUUUST out of the reach of Patriarchy's victims.

And then get that woman a big-wheel and a megaphone.

This is much m ore eloquent than I would have said it but this is basically who I took it as well.
Jody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zarus wrote:
I just realized that the Sisterhood's probably MORE powerful than the Devil's... gang? The Devil has like 2 bodyguards and a strip club and a bunch of robots that can be programmed to rebel at any time, while the Sisterhood has at least 6 card-carrying members, at least 2 of whom are capable of crippling his organization by herself.

Not at all. The Devil's "gang" has all the power and the support of most of the people living under it. Not to mention the fact that it's run by the one mystical being in Sinfest that isn't afraid to use his powers for evil.
Leohan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
zarus wrote:
They probably wouldn't. It's more likely that she'd impale him or something, even devil-slick is weak.

i dont know dude. he single-handedly fuckin destroyed paradise and the rest of sinfest city. i'm pretty sure that shit like that pretty much disqualifies you from being categorized as "weak."

Weakness takes many shapes, and physical prowess is incredibly overrated.

With that said, which comic was that one?
Mr Zero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is like Demongirl Monique is telling Monique the same things as the crowd: "You had the power all along. And it was evil, just like we told-you-so."
The shadow demon just approves, rather than yelling about bordom, dissipointment, and that Monique could do better to entertain even if by just shaking her rear at the crowd.
evercleric

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
So, 'Nique is either being haunted by her past or is being tempted into using her act to seek revenge against her mockers. Maybe even both.

I think it is definitely the second one, but with a focus on her dawning self-awareness about the temptation, rather than just the fact of the temptation.

'Nique has verbally skewered tomato-throwers many times, and has just now realized that she's been doing so out of a spirit of vengeance rather than from a spirit of humanism. I expect her behaviour is about to change.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
With that said, which comic was that one?

We see him destroying paradise here, and the aftermath of his destruction here. We also saw the totaled (mirrored) Sinfest city last week.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Sir Craigius wrote:
Be Careful Monique. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Cosume you it will!

Hey Yinello, we've just been pwned! Well played Sir, well played Very Happy

Dangit! My one-liner should have been wittier.
Pixi-san

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this.

When a woman is deeply scorned, it is all too easy to use the her sexuality as a form of agression.

Its the one thing that will shut most men up. Fuck their minds while you exploit their desire to fuck your body. Men are chastened when screwed by a woman the woman they want to bang. They are turned on by it, and respond to it.

Non sexy woman preaching intelligence is boring. Sexy woman preaching intelligence is a waste of pussy. Sexy woman angry is sexy! Stimulating! Unleash your rage and satisfy your revenge and their lusts in one go. Would burqa clad devil girls be sexy?

Now, femdom in a consensual loving relationship is fine and fun.

But here Monique is tempted out of rage to crush men with the one power she thought was her greatest power: being sexy. It isnt. Her greatest power is her awareness.
Moor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh-my-gosh I found a Connection! (With a capital!)

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4436

... I still don't get it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
Oh-my-gosh I found a Connection! (With a capital!)

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4436

Shocked

Good eye on that. Definitely her "inner demon".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, it had nothing to do with my eye.

Miss Magenta linked to this (over here ) and I'm really, really bad at not clicking "next".
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:

Demonique seems to be a manifestation of Nique's inner demons, much like Sleaze is a manifestation of Slick's inner demons. However, while Sleaze appears to be an actual, separate entity from Slick - Demonique only seems to exist in Nique's mind.

In the strip you linked, Demonique represents Nique's fear of who she used to be. She was a manipulative heartbreaker - she blantantly admitted before that she used her sexuality to seduce and torment those around around her to make her feel better about herself. However, Nique doesn't want to be that person anymore. She fundamentally does not want to hurt anyone in any way and has expressed as much when she had an emotional break-down after Blue informed her that Nique had hand in sending over hundreds of men to hell.

Meanwhile, in this strip Demonique represents Nique's growing frustration with the audience. They refuse to listen - they had refused from the very beginning - and harass her constantly. She knows that she shouldn't keep coming back, knowing this, but she wants them to listen to what she has to say. She's frustrated with them, and she's tempted to get vengeance, and hurt them the way they're hurting her. You can see in panel 5 that she's walking towards the end of the stage, closer to the audience, to do... something, though it's not clear what. But what is clear is that by noticing Demonique, Nique realized that whatever she was going to do was wrong and would be done out of malice. She'd be no better now than she was before.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but how does the microphone being the pitchfork play into this?

And, more importantly, how-do-you-remember/analyze-this-well-are-you-secretly-Tat?.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
Okay, but how does the microphone being the pitchfork play into this?

And, more importantly, how-do-you-remember/analyze-this-well-are-you-secretly-Tat?.

She could use her words to attack back, it's all kinds of metaphorical and shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes, but the fact that she's given it by DeMonique seems to be saying that using it would be a bad thing. So is using her words to attack back a bad thing? Or was there a specific way that she was going to use it (specific words) that the pitchfork was representing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: