welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-09-06: Peak Dudebro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of feels like that applies to 60% of the gaming world x,x
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
evercleric wrote:
A young✔, white✔, male✔, wealthy✔, Christian✔, hetero-✔, cis✔ frat boy✘.

Whoops, guess I'm a terrible person.

No you just have the fewest possible stumbling blocks to success and most of the western world is aimed at your sensibilities and desires.

Now if you use the above fact to become a bitter asshole about people who don't fit that mold trying to make more of the world accomidate their sensibilities and desires...then you are kind of a terrible person.

Yeah I was in sarcastic asshole mode. I know this topic gets done to death but I get a little tired with the constant insinuation that the only people who are problematic have to be cis-hetero-white-males. I mean, they aren't even characteristics that you can change (assuming you decide to stick with cis and hetero). This forum isn't so bad for it, but some of the Tumblr rhetoric you hear is just straight up ignorant.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
evercleric wrote:

No you just have the fewest possible stumbling blocks to success and most of the western world is aimed at your sensibilities and desires.

Now if you use the above fact to become a bitter asshole about people who don't fit that mold trying to make more of the world accomidate their sensibilities and desires...then you are kind of a terrible person.

Yeah I was in sarcastic asshole mode. I know this topic gets done to death but I get a little tired with the constant insinuation that the only people who are problematic have to be cis-hetero-white-males. I mean, they aren't even characteristics that you can change (assuming you decide to stick with cis and hetero). This forum isn't so bad for it, but some of the Tumblr rhetoric you hear is just straight up ignorant.

The emboldened part, I'd say the Sunday comic was specifically targeted at those sort of people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

No, they're just the loudest plurality. And they're used to being catered to. So anything that might mean they're catered to slightly less is THE WORST THING EVAH.

I get that you were being snarky. I just like pointing this out every chance I get Smile
evercleric

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
I get a little tired with the constant insinuation that the only people who are problematic have to be cis-hetero-white-males.

Being on the privileged side of all of the main social justice issues makes one significantly less likely to understand (and more likely to dismiss) privilege and the harms associated with it.

Now I have said straightforwardly what I "insinuated" in the post you quoted. Feel absolutely free to take a stand against my assertion.

Please do not take a stand against the position that "only privileged people are problematic", because that doesn't resemble my post in the slightest.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever, man. I guess we read into that statement in different ways.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
Yinello wrote:

No, they're just the loudest plurality. And they're used to being catered to. So anything that might mean they're catered to slightly less is THE WORST THING EVAH.

I get that you were being snarky. I just like pointing this out every chance I get Smile

No, she's right. It's not just because they're a' squeaky wheel'. They're more horrible, the 60% (coughtehmenzcough), and I am speaking as a peer not an outsider, not necessarily because of what they do, but because they often lack some degree of privilege themselves yet fail to utilize this as a basis to form some sort of empathic and sympathetic connection and conversations with those even less privileged than themselves. It's part of why I changed majors away from Video Game Design. In say a class of 20 people, maybe 3 or 4 were female, and of the rest, when we'd have assignments like submitting design ideas, 50-75% were what Yahtzee would call "spunkgargleweewee": http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:spunkgargleweewee

Also, gamer culture tends to overlap with others (thank you, Madden . . .) so you having this melting pot of shit, a cesspool of misogynistic ideas.

Sure, it's starting to change, but it's slow, and only a start, and has a very long way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. I always just figured they were the loudest. Admittedly I haven't been a part of gamer culture for some time specifically because of the toxicity.

The more you know...
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty toxic. They claim they get to act like this because they have always been bullied but yet can't see that this makes them bullies. They think their mindless hate against people who never really had anything to do with their lives somehow justifies the time that people called them names over their Batman shirt.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
evercleric wrote:

I grew up enjoying all of those privileges except "wealthy", and even with that one, my life was nice enough that I suspect quite a few Pakistani bricklayers would have called it prosperity. Either way, I'd definitely call myself wealthy now, so that's a clean sweep for me, too.

And yet I somehow read the post without automatically interpreting the discussion of privilege as being a personal attack on me. *shrugs*

fritterdonut wrote:
I mean, they aren't even characteristics that you can change (assuming you decide to stick with cis and hetero).

Protip: It's actually pretty dismissive and not at all okay to refer to your gender and sexual preference as things you "decide to stick with".
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
It is pretty toxic. They claim they get to act like this because they have always been bullied but yet can't see that this makes them bullies. They think their mindless hate against people who never really had anything to do with their lives somehow justifies the time that people called them names over their Batman shirt.

. . . says the future metaphorical waste treatment engineer.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
evercleric wrote:

I grew up enjoying all of those privileges except "wealthy", and even with that one, my life was nice enough that I suspect quite a few Pakistani bricklayers would have called it prosperity. Either way, I'd definitely call myself wealthy now, so that's a clean sweep for me, too.

And yet I somehow read the post without automatically interpreting the discussion of privilege as being a personal attack on me. *shrugs*

fritterdonut wrote:
I mean, they aren't even characteristics that you can change (assuming you decide to stick with cis and hetero).

Protip: It's actually pretty dismissive and not at all okay to refer to your gender and sexual preference as things you "decide to stick with".

I guess I'm just more prone to taking things personally.

I actually struggled quite a bit with how to word that. At first I was going to say they were all characteristics you have from birth, but sexuality and gender aren't always static, unchangeable things (unlike age and skin color). The gist of what I was trying to say is that they are characteristics that are part of who you are and aren't something one could change readily to remove privilege.

Sorry if it came out as offensive, that wasn't how I intended it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, sexuality isn't really "changeable", and changing the idea that it is is part of the challenge. Don't take my word for it, but instead how about the word of a Middle-aged✔, white✔, male✔, wealthy✔, Christian✔, hetero-✔, cis✔ world leader, namely Australian PRime Minister Kevin Rudd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzV1r5SCc8U

Now, I'm not gonna pretend how legitimate or honest and earnest his views are, but damn his rebuttal to the whole "bible says gays are evil" bullshit is AWESOME!
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Actually, sexuality isn't really "changeable", and changing the idea that it is is part of the challenge. Don't take my word for it, but instead how about the word of a Middle-aged✔, white✔, male✔, wealthy✔, Christian✔, hetero-✔, cis✔ world leader, namely Australian PRime Minister Kevin Rudd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzV1r5SCc8U

This is getting into risky territory, but I was under the impression that sexuality didn't necessarily have to be biological. I mean, people are obviously born in all different sexualities, and some suppress their sexuality for reasons (fear of homophobia, etc). But couldn't one also choose to change their sexuality if they really wanted to? I find it kind of hard to believe that you're forced to accept whatever sexuality you were born with and that it's unchangeable.

And before someone jumps at my throat, I'm not saying that being LGBT is a choice. Nor am I trying to justify the idea of forcing people into different sexualities.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't and don't think you are, but that's my point. Elsewhere in this forum , people here educated me about this so I'm passing it on. The language you are using is the issue, not your intent or intended meaning. It's part of why we now have the terms like cis, hetero-normative, and gender binary, just to name a few, that are being used to more accurately reflect things.

Last edited by Darqcyde on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: