welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The nature of comedy and insults in an enlightened society
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sojobo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i don't think an author can hold themselves responsible for offenses like this; there is no predicting what someone might find painful, and if you did not intent to cause pain, all a reasonable person (in my opinion) can expect is an apology.

Discussing only the original comic, and only offense taken to the original comic, I don't think a reasonable person can expect an apology. To expect an apology is to judge that wrong has been done. I don't think the PA boys did anything wrong with the original comic.

The second comic is a bit awful. It is possible to say you didn't do anything wrong without mocking people for being sensitive to disturbing themes. They chose to mock. At that point it would have already been pretty safe moral high ground to tell them to get fucked.

The shirts were terrible, and encouraging people to wear the shirts to PAX was reprehensible. I cannot see how anyone could reconcile that with the positive things they claim PAX is supposed to stand for. And I suppose, eventually, neither could they, hence the apology.

Everyone makes mistakes, and everyone also makes some of those mistakes twice, and thrice. It's neither easy nor quick to overcome attitudes cemented through decades of privilege, and neither easy nor quick to let go of egotism. I think there's a very good chance the apology is honest, and indicative of heartfelt changes of opinion. I also think it's very likely that they will fuck up again in a similar way, and all of the criticism they get for it will be completely deserved.

I suppose I don't really have much of a point. I guess I just thought the Nerdlove guy was making the PA guys out to be much bigger villains than they really are. Normal people are capable of pretty awful things, too.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great quote from a tumblerist:

Quote:
You donít get to tell people how to take your jokes or how to deal with their trauma, because it skews the burden of social responsibility. Itís a double standard because youíre suddenly asking them to cater to your feelings, painting them as aggressors. Communication is an exchange with responsibilities on both sides. So youíre free to say whatever you want, just donít be surprised if people call you out for being an asshole. The moment the words leave your mouth, they cease to be yours to shape for reception.

Source
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for my actual standpoint on comedy: If you make fun of a group that already suffers from social stigma and oppression, you're a bully. And if you're a comedian that really wants to do that, go ahead but you have to be aware that you're just part of a huge ongoing problem , that you're only catering to the privileged and that people will criticise you a lot. There is plenty of material to laugh about so if you have a hard time finding it, maybe you're just not a very good comedian.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you make fun of a group that already suffers from social stigma and oppression, you're a bully.

nerds?
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRDDSSSSSS!

(MovieBob did a good piece on bullying and modern nerd culture.)
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People nowadays are proud to call themselves nerds so I doubt it. Razz
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portlandia- Nerd PSA

That last moment of "I'm usually good at rants" with that down beaten voice and sigh of exasperation really sells it.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been informed that any attempt by me to communicate results in uncomfortable laughter. With that in mind:

Hello dear heterosexuals, just to let you know: "The protocols of the learned elders of Zion" is a hoax written by a bitter, unoriginal old lady in Russia named: Maurice Joly. Compare the text in "Dialogue in Hell" to "Elders of Zion". This didn't deter Henry Ford, who after discovering the truth, stood by his inaccurately racist and anarchist statements all the way to the grave. If you knew your history better, you wouldn't be embarrassing yourself by promoting the Church of England who are the ones responsible for ordaining royalty in the name of God to have you be oppressed. Separation of church and state is a ongoing battle. Don't be so awake that you miss the obvious. Give it a rest. Seriously.
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Quote:
If you make fun of a group that already suffers from social stigma and oppression, you're a bully.

nerds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRDDSSSSSS!

(MovieBob did a good piece on bullying and modern nerd culture.)

The "Dr. FUCKING Who" part almost made me choke with laughter, but I'm bummed I missed this before
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: