Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-9-15 Validated Person
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miracle_Drakon wrote:
Any electronic device which is out of control must be destroyed! You think it's a woman, but first of all it's an ANDROID!!!

Considering how much of history and how many places still have this view about actual women, this is all kinds of fail.
Wabi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Aw, I feel bad for her. Reply with quote

It's sad seeing Freebot (which I do like better than "Fembot") getting the same sort of treatment no matter where she goes. I'd really like to see her get a bit of downtime with some of the nicer characters. Fuchsia and Criminy, maybe?

On another note, though it's just me being picky, that's a really odd angle for her to be kicking. It looks like a front kick, but it's too high for that. Yet she's hitting his face, not his collarbone, so it can't be an axe kick, either. But over-analyzing martial arts in entertainment is usually not a very rewarding task. >_<
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the angle of the foot, it looks like a high sidekick, to me. It's possible she stepped back and just went back in with a straight sidekick, possible she stepped back and it was a spinning sidekick.

Sidekicks often go pretty high. Although, high front kicks aren't unheard of either.
ShrapnelSong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escalating that to violence was uh, definitely the answer. That and that her dispassionate expression towards alarms being sounded since she kicked a guy in the head is weird considering she apparently also has concepts of nudity/exposure.

Accidentally offend an android at an android store? Have a concussion.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShrapnelSong wrote:
Escalating that to violence was uh, definitely the answer. That and that her dispassionate expression towards alarms being sounded since she kicked a guy in the head is weird considering she apparently also has concepts of nudity/exposure.

Yeeeah if a guy starting lifting up my skirt to see a price tag because he innocently thought I was a prostitute, then yeah. Violence would be escalated to quite quickly.
Miracle_Drakon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:
ShrapnelSong wrote:

Yeeeah if a guy starting lifting up my skirt to see a price tag because he innocently thought I was a prostitute, then yeah. Violence would be escalated to quite quickly.

Are you an android? OMG, they are here, we need EMP! Now!
Night Spade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope she will get a name soon.
Psiwrite

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coldbeer4thesoul wrote:
Psiwrite wrote:
Just a query - is this the first time the Devil's actually referred to by his forum moniker Big D?

Last year about this time
http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4401

Ta.
ShrapnelSong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:
ShrapnelSong wrote:

I suppose the parallel would be if you were in a country where prostitution was legal, and you were dressed exactly like a prostitute, while in a brothel, surrounded by prostitutes who again look just like you.

The context clues kinda all lead to one conclusion. And then you're kicking that guy in the head because you're uncomfortable. Which is like saying he needed to be potentially seriously injured because he hurt your feelings.
merest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Miracle_Drakon wrote:
Any electronic device which is out of control must be destroyed! You think it's a woman, but first of all it's an ANDROID!!!

Considering how much of history and how many places still have this view about actual women, this is all kinds of fail.

Your refutation risks a category error, unless you are arguing that he a) treats conventional women the same (making him merit that kick), b) he knows that the android is self-aware or he is participating in society-wide wilful ignorance over the issue (definitely making him merit that kick), or c) this is an allegory and she represents women who are routinely objectified by mustachio'd brutes throughout societies and history. Any of these possibilities are okay, and there are doubtless others. I'd probably combine a few of them, finding the allegorical route (in this instance) a bit disappointing by itself.
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShrapnelSong wrote:
I suppose the parallel would be if you were in a country where prostitution was legal, and you were dressed exactly like a prostitute, while in a brothel, surrounded by prostitutes who again look just like you.

The context clues kinda all lead to one conclusion. And then you're kicking that guy in the head because you're uncomfortable. Which is like saying he needed to be potentially seriously injured because he hurt your feelings.

Uh, no. Even in a country where prostitution is legal, standing in a brothel dressed like a prostitute, surrounded by other prostitutes, and ACTUALLY A PROSTITUTE, it is STILL a complete dick move to lift up a woman's skirt without her consent. It is still, in fact, assault. The key here? CONSENT. If that prostitute invites a guy to lift up her skirt? Aright then, no problem. Without that invite, it's still. fucking. assault. This should not be shocking, you see, because prostitutes are people too, and just because they sell sex doesn't mean they stop having a say in what can and can't be done to them.

Jesus, even your super contrived example doesn't make it okay. Keep talking though, I'm sure your defense of sexual assault will make you look less creepy soon.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Shrapnel, if you had been paying attention to Freebot's arc and do not do mental gymnastics, you could've seen that this is Freebot's logical response to things that feel threatening to her. What did you expect her to do? Cower (which she won't)? Reason (which she can't)?

Also your example is just fucking creepy. Also fucking wrong. Prostitution is legal in some parts of my country and if you do something like that without asking her first, you get thrown out without delay by the bouncers or even arrested by the police, depending on the severity of the matter.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
ShrapnelSong wrote:

Uh, no. Even in a country where prostitution is legal, standing in a brothel dressed like a prostitute, surrounded by other prostitutes, and ACTUALLY A PROSTITUTE, it is STILL a complete dick move to lift up a woman's skirt without her consent. It is still, in fact, assault. The key here? CONSENT. If that prostitute invites a guy to lift up her skirt? Aright then, no problem. Without that invite, it's still. fucking. assault. This should not be shocking, you see, because prostitutes are people too, and just because they sell sex doesn't mean they stop having a say in what can and can't be done to them.

Jesus, even your super contrived example doesn't make it okay. Keep talking though, I'm sure your defense of sexual assault will make you look less creepy soon.

Shrapnel, go back , read the archives, you are apparently absolutely clueless as to what's going on here. If you don't go back and at least do that, then there's no point in talking to you since this day's strip is one part of a much larger story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
Rune wrote:
Miracle_Drakon wrote:

Your refutation risks a category error, unless you are arguing that he a) treats conventional women the same (making him merit that kick), b) he knows that the android is self-aware or he is participating in society-wide wilful ignorance over the issue (definitely making him merit that kick), or c) this is an allegory and she represents women who are routinely objectified by mustachio'd brutes throughout societies and history. Any of these possibilities are okay, and there are doubtless others. I'd probably combine a few of them, finding the allegorical route (in this instance) a bit disappointing by itself.

Since the answer to your contrived objection is obviously C in terms of the storytelling of the comic, and I have made it clear in conversations where you have already been present that I am coming from viewpoint C, you can take this useless bit of "hold on a minute!" tergiversatious pedantry and shove it where the sun don't shine. It adds nothing to this conversation besides the implied drone of your voice.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
tergiversatious

dear princess celestia

today i learned a new word! and as we all know, a day where you don't learn anything is a day where you wasted your time

your faithful student,

shadowcell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: