Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 731, 732, 733 ... 784, 785, 786  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rent an apartment there, yes I would.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VA Supreme Court rules against Old Dominion University in eminent domain case.

Fuck yes.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:

Fuck yes.

I'm saying YAY as well, but is it really over?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:

Fuck yes.

I'm saying YAY as well, but is it really over?

If ODU can appeal, would it go to SCOTUS, and would they even agree to see such a case?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With SCOTUS, you never know.

When was it municipalities were given the right to utilize eminent domain? I remember it being discussed here on the forums, I just forget when that shit went down. Anywho, this is exactly the kinda shit that I was afraid was going to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CTrees

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how Kelo v. New London went, it's really difficult to guess how the SCOTUS would handle an appeal.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/13/nigerian-student-science-prove-gay-marriage-wrong_n_3920879.html

Quote:
A student in Nigeria is claiming he can prove gay marriage is wrong through science - and his scientific "breakthrough" is backed by his university.

Chibuihem Amalaha, who has won awards in his country for reporting on energy science and featured on various national television stations, says he used a magnet experiment to prove homosexuality is "improper".

Amalaha says his "groundbreaking" experiments show the north and south poles of two magnets are attracted to each other while same poles repel each other.

He concludes this “means that man cannot attract another man because they are the same, and a woman should not attract a woman because they are the same. That is how I used physics to prove gay marriage wrong".

Help my sides I can't stop the laughter oh god it hurts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he also watched a few chickens

and poured acids on bases

this is clearly ground-breaking researches
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/13/nigerian-student-science-prove-gay-marriage-wrong_n_3920879.html

Quote:
A student in Nigeria is claiming he can prove gay marriage is wrong through science - and his scientific "breakthrough" is backed by his university.

Chibuihem Amalaha, who has won awards in his country for reporting on energy science and featured on various national television stations, says he used a magnet experiment to prove homosexuality is "improper".

Amalaha says his "groundbreaking" experiments show the north and south poles of two magnets are attracted to each other while same poles repel each other.

He concludes this “means that man cannot attract another man because they are the same, and a woman should not attract a woman because they are the same. That is how I used physics to prove gay marriage wrong".

This is, of course, why you should never put oil and water together. The like-repels-like theory dictates that you'll never be able to separate them again because the oil droplets would repel each other and try to remain suspended in the water.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:

Quote:

This is, of course, why you should never put oil and water together. The like-repels-like theory dictates that you'll never be able to separate them again because the oil droplets would repel each other and try to remain suspended in the water.

I'm sorry but you're all wrong Wheels. You see, to mix oil and water, you'd need homogeneous oil and homogeneous water. And of course, since likes repel, those things can't exist.

I vote we ban all homogeneous solutions, as they clearly go against the laws of nature and against good heteronormative chemistry. Then I will never again fear that my children will think that anything other than heterogeneous solutions are the norm.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if serving food without a license wasn't enough, people in California are also daring to landscape without a license! Don't they know that they have to file the proper paperwork and pay appropriate fees to the government before they use a weed whacker or paint brush to help pay their bills?

Thankfully, the police are on the job.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
As if serving food without a license wasn't enough, people in California are also daring to landscape without a license! Don't they know that they have to file the proper paperwork and pay appropriate fees to the government before they use a weed whacker or paint brush to help pay their bills?

Yeah, it's not like there's ever been a problem with unlicensed crews posing as legit and insured contractors roaming around and ripping people off, leaving them with ruined property and no way to hold the fake contractors accountable when they disappear.

Oh wait, that's been a real and widespread problem forever. THIS IS WHY MOST STATES AND COUNTIES REQUIRE LICENSES IN THE FIRST PLACE AND HAVE DONE SO FOR LONGER THAN YOU'VE BEEN ALIVE. Even South Carolina, that notorious bastion of Liberul Gubbermint overreach, requires any building work done on residential areas over $200 to be done by a licensed contractor. By comparison, California's laws typically kick in at over $500.

In closing: You are such a tool.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:

Yeah, it's not like there's ever been a problem with unlicensed crews posing as legit and insured contractors roaming around and ripping people off, leaving them with ruined property and no way to hold the fake contractors accountable when they disappear.

Yes, that's exactly what anyone without a license is trying to do. No real work is ever done by someone who hasn't yet kissed the government's ring.

Quote:
Oh wait, that's been a real and widespread problem forever. THIS IS WHY MOST STATES AND COUNTIES REQUIRE LICENSES IN THE FIRST PLACE AND HAVE DONE SO FOR LONGER THAN YOU'VE BEEN ALIVE. Even South Carolina, that notorious bastion of Liberul Gubbermint overreach, requires any building work done on residential areas over $200 to be done by a licensed contractor. By comparison, California's laws typically kick in at over $500.

Actually, that's only why governments and statists claim licenses are necessary. In reality they're often the product of lobbyists representing one profession or another to attempt to make it difficult for potential competitors to start businesses. Why else would an interior designer need an average of six years of training and education before being licensed and permitted to ply their trade? Or an auctioneer need 100 days of training on average before the state is satisfied the public is protected from shoddy auctioneering, while a 'gaming supervisor' needs (on average) no training, but has to pony up a cool $449 if he wants a license?

CA has some of the most onerous licensing requirements in the country, not to protect people, but to scoop up as much revenue as possible while ensuring that politically connected business owners are protected from 'unfair competition.' These laws tend also to cause no small amount of harm to the poor and to minorities, but I'm sure that's more the fault of all the Republicans running things in the Golden State.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the righting of the Costa Concordia live. It's already been freed from the reef and is in the process of being floated back onto its keel.

Mindslicer wrote:
Yes, that's exactly what anyone without a license is trying to do. No real work is ever done by someone who hasn't yet kissed the government's ring.

Do I really have to go into how stupid this rebuttal is?

Quote:
Actually, that's only why governments and statists claim licenses are necessary. In reality they're often the product of lobbyists representing one profession or another to attempt to make it difficult for potential competitors to start businesses.

No, it's a real problem. Even with licensing requirements in place, it is still a problem. I know people who have been ripped off by phony contractors because they didn't ask to see a license, and then they got stuck with "repairs" that turned out to be worse than the original damage.
But don't let everyday reality get in the way of your conspiracy theories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 731, 732, 733 ... 784, 785, 786  Next
Page 732 of 786

Jump to: