welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 239, 240, 241 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10566
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those big baggy samurai pants were designed so opponents couldn't try to read you movements by watching your feet and legs. In general, baggy clothing, in terms of stuff intended to be worn in combat, was only used for deceptive purposes, which seems kinda moot when super powers are involved.

Best outfit ever was the soviet deep pressure suit from the old live action flash series.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10566
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
If I were a superhero I'd dress exactly the same as how I dress now.

PUT YOUR PANTS BACK ON!
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10798
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
There's a reason Olympic wrestling, MMA, and most other serious fightsport garments are close-fitting and minimally-flappy.

Okay. Although I'm not sure why our super strong person is worried about a thug or a branch snagging their sleeve. If capes aren't a problem, why would anything else be?

Quote:
Quote:
So does super strength assume super balance?

I think being able to fly obviates a lot of the need.

So people who can fly are flying all the time? Or do they fly reflexively, the same way you would move your hand out of a fire (an evolutionary trait shared by all people, unlike the power of flight)? How do we know this?

Quote:
Quote:
Can Power Girl even twist an ankle?

How, tripping? I think the sidewalk would give before her joints do. And of course she's not exerting her own super-strength against her ankles, since she can leap tall buildings in a single bound she must not be trying very hard to walk or run normally.

So that's a no, then. Okay.

Quote:
Contrary to what Dogen added to his post, I think it's possible for people to look not-ridiculous in Spandex. Olympic athletes usually pull it off, for example. I'm not saying most people even could reach that kind of ideal. But it's not something that could be dismissed with a wave of the hand, especially for a role the public is already primed to identify with unitards and bright colors.

There's not looking ridiculous wearing your spandex in a place people expect to see it (in a wrestling ring, for instance), and then there's looking ridiculous walking around South Beach dressed as an Olympic wrestler. I don't look silly wearing scrubs in a hospital. I do look silly wearing scrubs to a restaurant. People may be used to the idea of superheroes wearing spandex in comics and movies, but they're not used to them walking around in real life. Unless they look like a superhero (muscular, have wings, claws, whatever), they'd just look like a person wearing an odd outfit (weird).

I'm also not certain that your average superhero would look different than your average person - that is, a little overweight. I'm assuming superheroes have genetic mutations, then unless (like glucose transport) the mutation is activated by exercise I think it's safe to assume mutants would look more or less average. Not like Olympic athletes (unless they went to the gym, but what does Power Girl lift for weights? come to think of it, how does she do muscle-building exercises at all?).

But of course, it doesn't matter. If super strength and flight obviate the concerns about capes and high heels then they obviate the concerns about wardrobes in general. Which means superheroes can wear whatever they want without seriously affecting their ability to fight crime. So the question is, would your average person, on suddenly developing super powers, also decide that spandex was the way to go?

Me? No. Cargo pants and a t-shirt. Cotton, preferably, so it breathes. Maybe a jacket. Fall is coming.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timpie



Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 78
Location: Mainland Europe - Belgium

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
There's a reason Olympic wrestling, MMA, and most other serious fightsport garments are close-fitting and minimally-flappy.

Okay. Although I'm not sure why our super strong person is worried about a thug or a branch snagging their sleeve. If capes aren't a problem, why would anything else be?


www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68ndaZSKa8
_________________
Vode an
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6080
Location: California

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i could be a superhero
i would be Awesome Man
i'd fly around the world fighting crime
according to my Awesome Plan

and if i saw criminals trying to lie
hurting other people and making them cry
i'd haul them off to jail in my Awesome Van
'cuz i would be Awesome Man
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12255
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
There's a reason Olympic wrestling, MMA, and most other serious fightsport garments are close-fitting and minimally-flappy.

Okay. Although I'm not sure why our super strong person is worried about a thug or a branch snagging their sleeve. If capes aren't a problem, why would anything else be?


WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Tights and the like make sense for a number of reasons. For the people who don't have powers and rely on agility, the freedom of movement and lack of baggy flappy things to catch on other things is an advantage. For the people who DO have powers, invulnerability and super strength obviate the need for pretty much any considerations of convenience clothing-wise. If you can fly and crush streetcars with your bare hands, going around in heels becomes a viable option. In that case you get to play around with things that look good, like capes.


Quote:
So people who can fly are flying all the time? Or do they fly reflexively, the same way you would move your hand out of a fire (an evolutionary trait shared by all people, unlike the power of flight)? How do we know this?

The same way we know anything, Pinkie. Science! Or at least reasonable guesswork and conjecture.

Quote:
There's not looking ridiculous wearing your spandex in a place people expect to see it (in a wrestling ring, for instance), and then there's looking ridiculous walking around South Beach dressed as an Olympic wrestler. I don't look silly wearing scrubs in a hospital. I do look silly wearing scrubs to a restaurant. People may be used to the idea of superheroes wearing spandex in comics and movies, but they're not used to them walking around in real life. Unless they look like a superhero (muscular, have wings, claws, whatever), they'd just look like a person wearing an odd outfit (weird).

When they're doing nothing much, sure. When they're hoisting fallen buses back onto bridges, pulling people out of a burning building, or even just being the one that interrupts a mugging? That's when the purposes of a costume assert themselves. You want to stand out and give people something positive to focus on, you want that symbolism. Because the more people think of your actions as representing an ideal, the less likely they are to laugh at your tights I MEAN the less likely they are to target you personally for whatever reason.
And if you ever need to make use of your powers to strong-arm somebody into submission, you'd better make sure the other bystanders (not to mention the police) don't think you're just some other schmuck who picked a fight. You want people to know WHY you're putting that guy into an arm lock, or else some of them are going to think you mugged him.

Quote:
I'm also not certain that your average superhero would look different than your average person - that is, a little overweight.

Which is when it's appropriate to not wear tights, or to make strategic use of those leather jackets everybody was donning in the 90s.
Like I said, tights aren't strictly necessary. But they're not something that should be ruled out just because they're the stuff of comic books. They have their uses, and those things have already been thoroughly explored in the fiction and metafiction so it's kind of close-minded to dismiss the idea out of hand.

It may be a cliche that the origin story in comics and movies will spend a few minutes to dwell on how the hero chooses a costume or a symbol to become an ideal in the people's eyes, but think about how much and how deeply we associate abstract concepts with a police badge, a doctor's smock, a fireman's hat, or an Marine's dress blues.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10566
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While designed for mere mortals, these would work just fine for most super heroes:

_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10798
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Okay. Although I'm not sure why our super strong person is worried about a thug or a branch snagging their sleeve. If capes aren't a problem, why would anything else be?


WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Tights and the like make sense for a number of reasons. For the people who don't have powers and rely on agility, the freedom of movement and lack of baggy flappy things to catch on other things is an advantage. For the people who DO have powers, invulnerability and super strength obviate the need for pretty much any considerations of convenience clothing-wise. If you can fly and crush streetcars with your bare hands, going around in heels becomes a viable option. In that case you get to play around with things that look good, like capes.

Fair enough. For the non-super-strong, costume choices are pertinent. Then the question becomes whether your average superhero, most likely looking like your average person, would ever pick it.

Quote:
Quote:
So people who can fly are flying all the time? Or do they fly reflexively, the same way you would move your hand out of a fire (an evolutionary trait shared by all people, unlike the power of flight)? How do we know this?

The same way we know anything, Pinkie. Science! Or at least reasonable guesswork and conjecture.

We differ on this. I see no reason to assume people who have the power of flight also have flight reflexes. Or at least not a priori, maybe with practice ("muscle memory").

Quote:
When they're doing nothing much, sure. When they're hoisting fallen buses back onto bridges, pulling people out of a burning building, or even just being the one that interrupts a mugging? That's when the purposes of a costume assert themselves. You want to stand out and give people something positive to focus on, you want that symbolism. Because the more people think of your actions as representing an ideal, the less likely they are to laugh at your tights I MEAN the less likely they are to target you personally for whatever reason.
And if you ever need to make use of your powers to strong-arm somebody into submission, you'd better make sure the other bystanders (not to mention the police) don't think you're just some other schmuck who picked a fight. You want people to know WHY you're putting that guy into an arm lock, or else some of them are going to think you mugged him.

This sounds like an argument for a costume in general, not for spandex.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm also not certain that your average superhero would look different than your average person - that is, a little overweight.

Which is when it's appropriate to not wear tights, or to make strategic use of those leather jackets everybody was donning in the 90s.
Like I said, tights aren't strictly necessary. But they're not something that should be ruled out just because they're the stuff of comic books. They have their uses, and those things have already been thoroughly explored in the fiction and metafiction so it's kind of close-minded to dismiss the idea out of hand.

So if your average superhero looked like your average person, and average people are more likely to be covered up, then wouldn't your average superhero most likely be covered up? That is, not walking around in just tights? Not that they couldn't, but that most wouldn't.

I think the costumes in comic books are silly because I doubt the majority of people would choose to wear something that revealing regardless of how sculpted their body is. I think they'd be more likely to come up with a costume that reflected their own style (pre-superpowers), which for most people is not spandex. The fact that almost every superhero has the same sense of style (just with more or less actual skin showing) is unbelievable.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1190
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem no one has mentioned yet: costumes make it harder to blend into the crowd. You have to race for the nearest empty phone booth before someone spots you if you don't want your identity known.
_________________
To get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences. The work, not the people. Your own action, not any possible object of your charity.
-Howard Roark, The Fountainhead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psssshaw.

Just shape-shift into whatever's convenient.
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10566
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney Princess gender costume swap: http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/disney-princesses-pants-finally-slideshow/-photo-2692687-182500431.html

Now where's the guys wearing the ladies' outfits? Wink
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12255
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Disney Princess gender costume swap: http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/disney-princesses-pants-finally-slideshow/-photo-2692687-182500431.html

Now where's the guys wearing the ladies' outfits? Wink

http://knightjj.deviantart.com/art/Disney-babes-400252120
Bonus:
http://knightjj.deviantart.com/art/Place-of-Princes-1-crossdressing-401249197
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is now a predator alert tool for Facebook - https://github.com/meitar/pat-facebook/blob/master/README.md
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10566
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
There is now a predator alert tool for Facebook - https://github.com/meitar/pat-facebook/blob/master/README.md

While well intentioned, that's an awfully dangerous tool that can be readily abused and misused. Who oversees and fact checks it?
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
If I were a superhero I'd dress exactly the same as how I dress now.

PUT YOUR PANTS BACK ON!


MY PANTS ARE CURRENTLY HALFWAY ON

DOES THAT COUNT
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 239, 240, 241 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 240 of 314

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group