welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9/25 gratuitous nudity
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the fact that he IS a male and that would be obvious in the shower, even tho Tat has spared us the horror of viewing pig genitals.
Moor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that much about Youtube culture/language, but shouldn't the title of the video express what's significant about it? Like "Dog riding skateboard", which is funny because the dog is riding the skateboard. Whereas this one derives its humor from the fact that it's a male (pig, in this case, which people feel the need to point out because of course you always point out race when they're not white & human) singing girl songs. But the title doesn't say "male pig singing girl songs", just "pig singing girl songs", so they assumed that the "male" was implied by something, or is the default.

Alternatively: Thumbnail images actually do matter as part of "what is this video about", and I just don't do Youtube enough to realize that.
Rune

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Male being assumed as the default when not stated otherwise is how most of the culture operates (and is one of the things that feminism attempts to acknowledge and address,) so, yeah.

It's relatively safe to assume that it was assumed that it would be assumed that the pig being talked about was male unless specifically designated as female, quite apart from the "pig" bit. Because that's the way things are right now. Just like how "girl songs" are supposed to be part of that YouTuber's punchline, because, chick music, amirite? That YouTuber is obviously writing from the sadly common viewpoint that male is default and female is other, and a bit of a joke. You know, Patriarchy. Which, considering Squig is apparently being web-bullied by DevilCorp spy drones, should be entirely unsurprising.
Jody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what Rune said. I'm pretty sure the "girl" in "girl songs" was used as a pejorative.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Male being assumed as the default when not stated otherwise is how most of the culture operates (and is one of the things that feminism attempts to acknowledge and address,) so, yeah.

It's relatively safe to assume that it was assumed that it would be assumed that the pig being talked about was male unless specifically designated as female, quite apart from the "pig" bit. Because that's the way things are right now. Just like how "girl songs" are supposed to be part of that YouTuber's punchline, because, chick music, amirite? That YouTuber is obviously writing from the sadly common viewpoint that male is default and female is other, and a bit of a joke. You know, Patriarchy. Which, considering Squig is apparently being web-bullied by DevilCorp spy drones, should be entirely unsurprising.

I'd say usage of the term girl in that title is part of your standard issue gender binary BS. I mean, it is a video posted by Big D, or at least one of his minions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rune

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was, at the very least, something the poster thought was significant to label as relevant to the LOLZ of the video.

The drones didn't specify male pig. They did specify girl songs. Not just songs, not emo songs, not cheesy songs, not any other possible descriptor you could think of.

Girl songs. (Note also how "girl" is infantalizing.)

As in, not-the-default man songs. The music is specifically labelled as not-default-male, as a part of the joke. Because it's an embarrassing deviation for the male to be feminized, on par here with being exposed naked in the shower. (Not that Squig has minded deliberately dressing in drag as a joke in the past, so long as he was -making- the joke, rather than being its butt.)

I mean, this is Patriarchy 101 stuff embedded in this one.

(Whether there are actual female pig characters to thoroughly flatten the pig=male argument depends on what the actual status of Sarah Piglin is. I honestly don't know if that's just Squig in drag, or a real background personality. Seymore has had pictures of Piglin up, but maybe he just doesn't know it's a joke? I have no idea.)
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I don't think this is what Big D wants you to do, drones. Still, good trolling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: