welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-09-22: Garden of Eden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mormon women can be female chaplains, but that's a very-little-known exception to the rule of female "clergy," and they're still not actually ordained to the LDS Priesthood.

The way the terms of leadership and Priesthood are confused and conflated in the LDS tradition is nothing short of labyrinthine if you actually look into it, but the very most basic understanding is that the Priesthood is both an office and a divine power to act on behalf of God, with varying hierachal rank, that is given to all worthy male members as young as 12 years old, and that they are then expected to progress in throughout their lives. Mormons use the term "the Priesthood" to denote everything and anything from God-appointed prophetic leadership, to the male membership in general.

It is, in fact, haphazardly defined doctrinally, but rigidly observed in practice.

It is claimed to be the male compliment to Motherhood, (because Fatherhood isn't special enough...?) or necessary to keep men engaged with their families and communities, or that's just how God wants it to be for some reason, so women don't need it, yadda-yadda-yadda.

It also just happens to be the only group of people able to wield heavy influential authority and decision-making and governing power over the general body of the church. There are some female leaders, but they only ever lead groups of other women or children, and are always still under a male's stewardship and ultimate authority, and there are no checks whatsoever against female authority being bypassed or overridden.

There has been more effort made lately to include women in higher-level decision-making counsels in an advisory capacity, which is a baby step in the right direction.

But, no, there are no female priests by any functional definition in the LDS church.

You might be thinking of the Community of Christ. They do ordain women. They're like the estranged uncle that the LDS don't like to talk about much, but I think they're pretty darn cool and think we could learn a lot from the things they've gotten right.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tekii wrote:
Oh wait yes, I just looked it up. We have a few priests who are woman in Canada but they apparently aren't officially recognized by the Vatican and are threatened with ex-communication.

You know Mormons aren't Catholic, right?
Tekii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Tekii wrote:
Oh wait yes, I just looked it up. We have a few priests who are woman in Canada but they apparently aren't officially recognized by the Vatican and are threatened with ex-communication.

You know Mormons aren't Catholic, right?

Yes, I do.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada ordains female clergy, and LGBT clergy. Actually, the ELCIC has a couple female bishops, even. And they ordain LGBT marriages.

If I recall correctly, they caught a fair bit of flack for it from the Anglican and United churches.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
As far as I know, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada ordains female clergy, and LGBT clergy. Actually, the ELCIC has a couple female bishops, even. And they ordain LGBT marriages.

If I recall correctly, they caught a fair bit of flack for it from the Anglican and United churches.

There are a lot of people who absolutely lose their shit at the idea of women in power with a direct connection to God.

As I heard from a friend of mine, "You can put the face of women on all manner of evil, but it's when you put it on God that all hell breaks loose."

I know that when the Community of Christ made the change to ordain women, they lost half their membership.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:

There are a lot of people who absolutely lose their shit at the idea of women in power with a direct connection to God.

As I heard from a friend of mine, "You can put the face of women on all manner of evil, but it's when you put it on God that all hell breaks loose."

I know that when the Community of Christ made the change to ordain women, they lost half their membership.

Regarding the flack thing, I was talking more about the LGBT clergy and ordained marriages. The Anglican church in Canada has ordained women since like, 1969, as deaconesses, priests, or bishops. I believe the United Church has a similar resolution.

Actually, short of Catholic churches in Canada, I'm pretty sure you'd have a hard time finding Christian churches that don't ordain women up here.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, I frequently wonder if such people worship Jesus, or worship the gender roles of the '50's middle class.

That's cool that female ordination is more common up there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: