welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-09-24 All About the Booty
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korladis wrote:
Yinello wrote:
This is perfect. Whenever some dude tells me that they were hunters in the stone age, I'll ask them to hunt me a steak in the supermarket.

Dudes seriously tell you that?

Well you know the whole cliche history she-bang. "Back in the past women gathered berries and cared for children and men hunted wild animals blablabla" I usually hear it as a lame argument why women can't do x (usually be a fully armored fighter in games or become a soldier in the army).
Timpie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those 'differences' would be more due to males having to have to fight off other males to preserve breeding exclusivity, rather then because they had to chuck a spear at an animal every few days.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that argument used to justify their own shitty behavior, too. "I couldn't help myself, it's wired into my lizard-brain." Lizard-brain being, I don't know, 'instincts' or something.

The only thing it serves for now is as a red flag for me to never take them seriously ever again and possibly keep the mace handy (you never know what they'll try to excuse as i-can't-help-it-insticts next).
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timpie wrote:
I think those 'differences' would be more due to males having to have to fight off other males to preserve breeding exclusivity, rather then because they had to chuck a spear at an animal every few days.

Actually, yes and no. New research is showing that it depends on environmental stressors.

I mean, first off, the whole issue isn't that simple, I mean there's other things like mommy hormones that make one motherly and testosterone that does what it does, but that's off topic, and only one small part. It's really complex and a HUGE topic.

But back to what you're saying about "sex competitions". Judging by gonad to body size ratio, as well as sperm motility (how healthy the little guys are), scientists have come to find rough guidelines for how male primates will behave, whether more promiscuous or more monogamous. Humans are pretty much a mix and can go either way.

They've also found that external stressors influence male social behaviors to a high degree. Lots of stress, we're more likely to exhibit "ME ALPHA MALE ROWR!" types of behavior where as under low stress conditions we're all "Peace and LOOOOOVE, man, like groovy . . . " Again, while significant, these are influences, not hard fast rules, but they are significant, and can happen either with individuals or on large societal scales.

Whatever exactly the cause, it has little to no bearing on modern societies; someone SHOULD stay home with the young ones, there's just no longer a survival advantage to it being women as opposed to men, and even those are still not proved conclusively.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Hydro wrote:
Hmm, some of the coloring is a little off here and there. But hey, not bad for only two hours of coloring for me~

Lens flare! Looks good. Good balance of warm and cool tones for a day-at-home strip.

Maybe add a dark corona around the spray bottle to mirror and contrast the light on the steak?

i actually like it just the way it is. you will note that only percy is reacting to the spray bottle, pooch doesn't get why he's so upset. so it's not a universal evil (in the way steak is a universal good), it's just percy's personal antagonist.

if you wanted to do something additional to panel 4, you might want to do something to emphasize the different reactions. or not, of course.
Korladis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Korladis wrote:
Yinello wrote:
This is perfect. Whenever some dude tells me that they were hunters in the stone age, I'll ask them to hunt me a steak in the supermarket.

Dudes seriously tell you that?

Well you know the whole cliche history she-bang. "Back in the past women gathered berries and cared for children and men hunted wild animals blablabla" I usually hear it as a lame argument why women can't do x (usually be a fully armored fighter in games or become a soldier in the army).

That's a very simplistic and outdated view of prehistoric hunter/gatherer societies they seem to have. The idea that all hunter/gatherer peoples had the same gender roles is rather silly.

Unsurprising, given the source, though.
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome third panel.

Percy, can't you trust Tat just wanting to clean his windows?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percy? Trust Tat? No, Tat is his mortal enemy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

Except when he does head-scritchy. :3
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was anyone else considering it may have angel sparkles in it? That might mean Percy is part Sinfest-Evil and would explain his reaction.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedsleeper wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Except when he does head-scritchy. :3

No, no, no. To Percy Tat is part food bringer, part groomer, part general servant to whom Percy allows the privilege of serving him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Was anyone else considering it may have angel sparkles in it? That might mean Percy is part Sinfest-Evil and would explain his reaction.

This interpretation makes me lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: