Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 743, 744, 745 ... 784, 785, 786  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10055
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another reason to hate Time Warner Cable: http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/7/4812990/time-warner-cable-sucks-up-to-republicans-to-win-support-against-broadcasters

Also, this helps explain this: http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/south-park-skewers-cable-companies-murder-porn-tv-1200693322/
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9182

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
What it shows is the government taking active steps to try to scare the public into thinking the planet's gravity will shut off if Papa Government isn't funded to the maximum extent possible. Federal employees are taking active steps to block access to public land, even lands operated privately, when it would actually cost less money to just let them be. Federal websites aren't just disconnected from the internet due to lack of funding; they're still up and running, just with redirect pages pretty much saying 'sorry, our website is totally down because Republicans.'


this is dumb and you've bought into a bunch of bullshit.

this conspiracy is a total short-sold hallucination of the right wing. every site you see closed is closed in order to fulfill law which predates any shit that's going on here right now. Choosing to keep certain appropriations-funded sites or parks open would be a violation of the Antideficiency act.

like pretty much everything you're on about here is just completely the result of a creatively false sell of a conspiracy to 'selectively' do this for maximum effect for the democrats
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Him



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 4171
Location: On edge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salon: Tea Party radicalism is misunderstood: Meet the “Newest Right”
Quote:
The first misconception that is widespread in the commentariat is that the Newest Right can be thought of as being simply a group of “extremists” who happen to be further on the same political spectrum on which leftists, liberals, centrists and moderate conservatives find their places. But reducing politics to points on a single line is more confusing than enlightening. Most political movements result from the intersection of several axes—ideology, class, occupation, religion, ethnicity and region—of which abstract ideology is seldom the most important.

The second misconception is that the Newest Right or Tea Party Right is populist. The data, however, show that Tea Party activists and leaders on average are more affluent than the average American. The white working class often votes for the Newest Right, but then the white working class has voted for Republicans ever since Nixon. For all its Jacksonian populist rhetoric, the Newest Right is no more a rebellion of the white working class than was the original faux-populist Jacksonian movement, led by rich slaveowners like Andrew Jackson and agents of New York banks like Martin Van Buren.

_________________
A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want? ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 16633
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:
What it shows is the government taking active steps to try to scare the public into thinking the planet's gravity will shut off if Papa Government isn't funded to the maximum extent possible. Federal employees are taking active steps to block access to public land, even lands operated privately, when it would actually cost less money to just let them be. Federal websites aren't just disconnected from the internet due to lack of funding; they're still up and running, just with redirect pages pretty much saying 'sorry, our website is totally down because Republicans.'


this is dumb and you've bought into a bunch of bullshit.

this conspiracy is a total short-sold hallucination of the right wing. every site you see closed is closed in order to fulfill law which predates any shit that's going on here right now. Choosing to keep certain appropriations-funded sites or parks open would be a violation of the Antideficiency act.

like pretty much everything you're on about here is just completely the result of a creatively false sell of a conspiracy to 'selectively' do this for maximum effect for the democrats


now now - it's useful to have mindslicer around arguing politics.

it gives us a baseline for what the fauxnation actually believes.


....yes, it _is_ very scary.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10055
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the scary thing is he's above their average in terms of rationale discourse.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 11871
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the healthcare.gov situation. It looks like passwords are being reset and some changes made to existing accounts might not be saved. Also a bit of a look at how this web service didn't get fully baked with 3 years of lead time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mindslicer



Joined: 04 Sep 2006
Posts: 1697
Location: North of the People's Republic of Massachusetts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Choosing to keep certain appropriations-funded sites or parks open would be a violation of the Antideficiency act.


Interesting. I did not know that.

John F. Kennedy Center Reauthorization Act of 2012

Quote:
SEC. 3. AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.
Section 13 of the John F. Kennedy Center Act (20 U.S.C. 76r) is
amended by striking subsections (a) and (b) and inserting the
following:
``(a) Maintenance, Repair, and Security.--There is authorized to be
appropriated to the Board to carry out section 4(a)(1)(H) $22,379,000
for each of fiscal years 2013 and 2014.
``(b) Capital Projects.--There is authorized to be appropriated to
the Board to carry out subparagraphs (F) and (G) of section 4(a)(1)
$13,588,000 for each of fiscal years 2013 and 2014.''.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 16633
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Update on the healthcare.gov situation. It looks like passwords are being reset and some changes made to existing accounts might not be saved. Also a bit of a look at how this web service didn't get fully baked with 3 years of lead time.


Quote:
The contractors responsible for the exchange—CGI Federal for the website itself, Quality Software Systems Inc. (QSSI) for the information "hub" that determines eligibility for programs and provides the data on qualified insurance plans, and Booz Allen for enrollment and eligibility technical support—are scrambling to deploy more fixes. Technical support call center operators continue to handle an onslaught of calls from users who can't get back into the system after registering.


um......contractors? as in, non-federal employees? as in, private capitalist companies who (according to the Free Market Rulez! school of politico-economic theory) can do everything best and most efficiently and to whom we should turn over essentially all government functions because Teh Government is Bad and Can't Do Anything? they had 3 years to produce a functioning system and failed to do so??

hm.

hmmmmmmmm.

although to be fair, looks like Ars gave a balanced set of reasons why there were problems....including things like whether the funding levels were sufficient (hm, wonder why they would have funding concerns?)
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10055
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/09/29/1242422/-Are-Kruz-Co-guilty-of-sedition

18 USC § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy wrote:
If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 16633
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'd take him a little more seriously if he spelled 'cruz' correctly.

but the definition seems to require at least a threat of violence, or at least force - so far, they haven't actually been waving guns around.

i'd go with treasonous, myself, except i don't know what enemy he's aiding.

the one i really want to make stick is 'unpatriotic' - because, seriously, where do you get off, going around waving a flag when you are trying to shut down the government just because it is attempting to "promote the general Welfare"?
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10055
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treason is actually a more severe offense than sedition. The real point is that if it were some "civilians" causing the same denial of services that or congress is committing, then they'd be fast tracked to a lengthy federal prison term.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 16633
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah....one of the perks of being a senator, i guess. you can say and do all the things you would flay a citizen for.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 16633
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, we might get a democrat running the fed! who is also a woman.

wonder which will enrage the republicans more.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 16633
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh shit

and as always, scalia gives us another reason to hate him:
Quote:
“By having these limits, you are promoting democratic participation,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said. “Then the little people will count some and you won’t have the super-affluent as the speakers that will control the elections.”

Justice Antonin Scalia responded, sarcastically, that he assumed “a law that only prohibits the speech of 2 percent of the country is O.K.”


because of course limiting what extremely rich people can donate to candidates is exactly the same as muzzling them completely!
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10420
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Salon: Tea Party radicalism is misunderstood: Meet the “Newest Right”
Quote:
The first misconception that is widespread in the commentariat is that the Newest Right can be thought of as being simply a group of “extremists” who happen to be further on the same political spectrum on which leftists, liberals, centrists and moderate conservatives find their places. But reducing politics to points on a single line is more confusing than enlightening. Most political movements result from the intersection of several axes—ideology, class, occupation, religion, ethnicity and region—of which abstract ideology is seldom the most important.

The second misconception is that the Newest Right or Tea Party Right is populist. The data, however, show that Tea Party activists and leaders on average are more affluent than the average American. The white working class often votes for the Newest Right, but then the white working class has voted for Republicans ever since Nixon. For all its Jacksonian populist rhetoric, the Newest Right is no more a rebellion of the white working class than was the original faux-populist Jacksonian movement, led by rich slaveowners like Andrew Jackson and agents of New York banks like Martin Van Buren.

I will not stand idly by and let you slander our nation's most beloved president! You, sir, are a scoundrel!
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. I’ll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 743, 744, 745 ... 784, 785, 786  Next
Page 744 of 786

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group