Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 744, 745, 746 ... 784, 785, 786  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Him wrote:
Salon: Tea Party radicalism is misunderstood: Meet the “Newest Right”
Quote:
The first misconception that is widespread in the commentariat is that the Newest Right can be thought of as being simply a group of “extremists” who happen to be further on the same political spectrum on which leftists, liberals, centrists and moderate conservatives find their places. But reducing politics to points on a single line is more confusing than enlightening. Most political movements result from the intersection of several axes—ideology, class, occupation, religion, ethnicity and region—of which abstract ideology is seldom the most important.

The second misconception is that the Newest Right or Tea Party Right is populist. The data, however, show that Tea Party activists and leaders on average are more affluent than the average American. The white working class often votes for the Newest Right, but then the white working class has voted for Republicans ever since Nixon. For all its Jacksonian populist rhetoric, the Newest Right is no more a rebellion of the white working class than was the original faux-populist Jacksonian movement, led by rich slaveowners like Andrew Jackson and agents of New York banks like Martin Van Buren.

I will not stand idly by and let you slander our nation's most beloved president! You, sir, are a scoundrel!
Hahahahahaha.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is from a couple of days ago - but a) it sounds like the senate chaplain is a sensible fellow and b) the house, it seems, want to hear him. i will look forward to seeing if they actually listen.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
this is from a couple of days ago - but a) it sounds like the senate chaplain is a sensible fellow and b) the house, it seems, want to hear him. i will look forward to seeing if they actually listen.

I didn't even know that the Senate had a chaplain.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something for the "today i learned" thread!
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuwait plans to keep homosexual expatriates from entering the country through stricter medical screening for detection of teh ghayes.
Him

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polish Archbishop Jozef Michalik Sex Abuse Comments Prompt Outrage: 'Child Seeking Love' Because Of Divorced Parents
This is all I have to say.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Russian Ambassador has been arrested in the Netherlands because witnesses called the police cause he was beating his kids.

The Russian Ambassador's wife incidentally also went out drunk and driving and crashed into 4 parked cars.

President Poetin is going apeshit and demands an apology (he got one, though it was pretty obvious it wasn't heartfelt), the sacking of the officers who did their job right (that won't happen) and right now a detailed explanation of what exactly happened.

The Ambassador (and his wife) is protected by the treaty of Vienna, so we're not allowed to prosecute him officially.

Meanwhile, aside from the obvious gay rights Russia is violating, they also locked up our Dutch Greenpeace protestors and now suddenly claim to have found drugs (gee, around the same time as the ambassadors arrest). They're also trying to sabotage our market by claiming our milk and tulips are rotten.

As much as the Dutch would love to give the Russians a huge fat middlefinger, we are incredibly dependant on their gas. Suddenly it's like we're in a survival game where one corrupted party holds the power because they have the goods.

I don't know what will happen next but there's a good chance that we'll let the guy return to Russia and he can keep on beating his kids. I don't like this one bit but I don't see any other solution.

edit: from the diplomat wiki:

Quote:
A particular problem is the difficulty in enforcing ordinary traffic regulations such as prohibitions on double parking. For example, the Autobahn 555 in Cologne, Germany was nicknamed the "Diplomatenrennbahn" (Diplomatic Raceway), back when Bonn was the capital of West Germany, because of the numerous diplomats that used to speed through the highway under diplomatic immunity. Certain cities, e.g., The Hague, have taken to impounding such cars rather than fining their owners. Diplomats cannot demand the release of impounded cars based on their status.

Clearly, we need to take away this guy's car.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a brilliant solution to diplomats being assholes with their cars.

Unfortunately, you can't impound his kids and give them to a lovely Dutch family.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i don't know - sounds like it's worth trying. i mean, the guy may be happy to have his kids impounded - he doesn't seem to care for them all that much.

or we can hope that once this all dies down, putin will quietly call the guy back home and have him shot. because he's not exactly making russia look good.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found out the kids are 2 and 4 years old :/

I doubt Putin cares about Russia's reputation, he constantly seems to be going against the wishes of other countries (especially America). I'm holding on to the tiniest sliver of hope that our representative explains why we had to arrest him and that would give the Russians enough reason to throw this guy into their own jails.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And once again, Russia proves to be completely and utterly immoral.

Homosexuality? COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.
Beating your toddlers? ACCEPTABLE.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows that beating your toddlers is a totally natural and god/Putin-approved activity.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utah just managed a significant feat of legal wrangling to reopen the federal parks there on the Governor's dime. The secretary of the interior was on board and officially made it go through today.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Utah just managed a significant feat of legal wrangling to reopen the federal parks there on the Governor's dime. The secretary of the interior was on board and officially made it go through today.

This would never have happened if it weren't for Grand Moff Obama! The more he tightens his grip, the more park systems will slip through his fingers! THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WON'T STAND FOR OUR PARKS TO BE TAKEN AWAY JUST BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT'S SHUT DOWN!

Anyhoo, New York Comic Con apparently started tweeting promos from attendees' accounts.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
And once again, Russia proves to be completely and utterly immoral.

Homosexuality? COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.
Beating your toddlers? ACCEPTABLE.

Well clearly you need to be able to do the second, because what if your toddler is GAY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

(I typed all those ?! one by one very quickly and didn't mess them up. I am awesome.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 744, 745, 746 ... 784, 785, 786  Next
Page 745 of 786

Jump to: