welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-10-14: Introvert Signal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydro wrote:
Heh, my knee jerk reaction with this forum is that the longer the reaction, the more likely it is unfriendly....

Oh, don't react like that! In fact, I think long reaction corrolates more strongly with "I care a lot/know a lot about the subject" than with unfriendliness.

The only reason there's a slight correlation is that people often come over here with a bunch of "'new' Sinfest and feminism stink", which, being fans of Sinfest as it is now and feminists, we do care a lot and know a lot about.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
I've taken the MBTI a couple times, and consistently return with INTJ, which I'd say is relatively accurate.

However, I will say that the lack of negative personality traits in the MBTI is a major shortfall (a comment from Dogen's article points out the lack of a calm-neurotic axis). Seriously, a personality quantifier shouldn't be afraid to tell you you're a prick.

It'd be interesting to take the HEXACO PI-R and see how it compares.

So this is the difference between data and experience. If I said that research data had shown a drug caused a certain side effect in a certain percentage of people and you'd taken that drug and not had that side effect would that mean the data was wrong or you got statistically lucky?

Many people take the MBTI and get different results each time. Some do not. The statistical significance between the portion that changes to those that stay the same tells us that it's not likely measuring what it claims to measure (which, by definition, rarely changes).
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are like a million studies on astrological signs and personality, right? Like they do all these things where they say, "What's your birthday? *pretend to type on a computer* Okay, here's your personality type!" and then ask, "So, does it sound accurate?" and people are like, "Darn tootin'!" except it's not really their astrological sign. The descriptions are just mostly positive and also vague, so they sound right to everyone.

Anyway, the MBTI is like that. I did it here, on this forum, about a year ago by posting six personality type descriptions from the MBTI and asking people to pick the one that sounded like them. It's literally the same thing. About half of them sound like they could be you when they don't have labels on them.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't defending the MBTI, nor was I equating my personal experience with it to research data.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
I've taken the MBTI a couple times, and consistently return with INTJ, which I'd say is relatively accurate.

Sorry, I wasn't sure which use of the word "accurate" you meant in this case, which is why I covered both "accurate in general" and "seems accurate for me." Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: