welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oct. 19: Snikt snikt!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE ARE NEVER NOT DOING PYTHON!!!

Also, if maverick is Lady Deathstrije, I'n thinking that despite her Wolverine fetish, Tangerine is more like Deadpool. Random behavior, katana, and he'd totally wear that hat. In fact the Wolverine fetish just makes her more like Deapool doesn't it?
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you even know what a fetish is? Because although she certainly has a fascination with Wolverine, and likes acting like him, um... that's... not what a fetish is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

words have many meanings

for example, this is an eagle fetish:

Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet if you tell people on a crowded bus about your eagle fetish and ask if they want to see pictures suddenly you're weird.
Maynar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happen to you, too?
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Do you even know what a fetish is? Because although she certainly has a fascination with Wolverine, and likes acting like him, um... that's... not what a fetish is.
Not all fetishes are sexual. It can also mean any overwhelming fascination with something.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the meaning of fetish really come so far? I've never heard it used outside a sexual context.

(Unless it was in regards to "the attribution of religious or mystical qualities to inanimate objects" which is what HR was getting at, but clearly not where you're going, either)
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term derives from the magical fetishes that were "irrationally" worshipped by indigenous peoples in the 18th century. A hundred years later it was repurposed to use the same condescending tone applied to indigenous people on the sexual tastes of other people. Thus, "irrational worship of an object" became "irrational worship of a particular sex act."

I can't find any etymological references to when it acquired the meaning of "excessive or irrational commitment," but it's definitely in my dictionary.
vector010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
The term derives from the magical fetishes that were "irrationally" worshipped by indigenous peoples in the 18th century. A hundred years later it was repurposed to use the same condescending tone applied to indigenous people on the sexual tastes of other people. Thus, "irrational worship of an object" became "irrational worship of a particular sex act."

I can't find any etymological references to when it acquired the meaning of "excessive or irrational commitment," but it's definitely in my dictionary.

Merriam-Webster appears to pretty much agree with your definition.

Full Definition of FETISH

a : an object (as a small stone carving of an animal) believed to have magical power to protect or aid its owner; broadly : a material object regarded with superstitious or extravagant trust or reverence
b : an object of irrational reverence or obsessive devotion : prepossession
c : an object or bodily part whose real or fantasied presence is psychologically necessary for sexual gratification and that is an object of fixation to the extent that it may interfere with complete sexual expression
: a rite or cult of fetish worshipers
: fixation

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLISTERING BARNACLES

Korladis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miracle_Drakon wrote:
I repeat: it's a dangerous and uncontrolled machine. It should be deactivated ASAP.

So are you. Should you be deactivated?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, fellow meat-robots! I have determined you all to be a threat! I am here to deactivate you.

Please don't fight it. It's all for the best.

If it makes you feel better, please feel free to cling to any particular superstitious beliefs -- reincarnation, an afterlife, etc. They're part of what makes you dangerous, but if they give you solace, I will not argue with you about them during the deactivation process.

Anyway, we shouldn't drag this out too much. Bye now!
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can deactivate me when you pry me from my... wait, let me try that again. You can deactivate me when you can pry my cold, dead hands from me! Shit, no, umm... You can't deactivate me because my hands... dammit!
Korladis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Greetings, fellow meat-robots! I have determined you all to be a threat! I am here to deactivate you.

Please don't fight it. It's all for the best.

If it makes you feel better, please feel free to cling to any particular superstitious beliefs -- reincarnation, an afterlife, etc. They're part of what makes you dangerous, but if they give you solace, I will not argue with you about them during the deactivation process.

Anyway, we shouldn't drag this out too much. Bye now!

But I like my superstitious beliefs. Sad

Wait, if we're all meat-robots, and out of control, who's going to do the deactivating?
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had... during my time here. It came to me when... I tried to classify your species, and I realized that... you're not actually mammals.

Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural... equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply... and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. And the only way you can survive is to spread to another area.

There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is?

A virus.

Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: