Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 242, 243, 244 ... 270, 271, 272  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Leaked steubenville video, trigger warning,rape culture, horrific people inside, probably ALSO belongs in the lifes horrors section,you have been warned.

[TRIGGER WARNING]Related.

Last edited by Him on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad that's all hidden behind a link because some jerk once posted a whole bunch of information (including pictures from the video and some of the tweets) on it and then added TRIGGER WARNING because they were obviously morons who don't understand text doesn't come before images on Tumblr. -_- So yeah, don't need to see any of that again.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrophy Annie wrote:
Really glad that's all hidden behind a link because some jerk once posted a whole bunch of information (including pictures from the video and some of the tweets) on it and then added TRIGGER WARNING because they were obviously morons who don't understand text doesn't come before images on Tumblr. -_- So yeah, don't need to see any of that again.

It's not pictures or videos involving her, its just one of the jackasses making jokes about the situation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still going to pass.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Leaked steubenville video, trigger warning,rape culture, horrific people inside, probably ALSO belongs in the lifes horrors section,you have been warned.

Related.

Ohh, and racist jokes at the end, so witty. Also, I accidentally started reading comments, yeah bad idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Him

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrophy Annie wrote:
Sorry, I should have added a trigger warning.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Him wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

Related.

Ohh, and racist jokes at the end, so witty. Also, I accidentally started reading comments, yeah bad idea.

I hate comment sections.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In lighter news, a study has found that most cave paintings were actually made by women - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/10/131008-women-handprints-oldest-neolithic-cave-art/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misandry!
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Atrophy Annie wrote:
Sorry, I should have added a trigger warning.

Oh, I assumed by "related" it would be equally awful, so I didn't bother. No, it's when someone posts pictures that are completely hard to miss and THEN a warning is given that ticks me off.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kinda disappointed that Google failed to recognize Ada Lovelace day yesterday
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
I was kinda disappointed that Google failed to recognize Ada Lovelace day yesterday

I actually looked it up because that would seem to be a pretty glaring omission, and I found this:

http://www.google.com/doodles/ada-lovelaces-197th-birthday

I don't know Google's policies, but maybe they prefer not to celebrate people multiple times or something.
Him

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
E-boy wrote:
My understanding, after reading the editor's explanation, is that SCIAM took down that blog post because they could not, at that time, verify the content to be factual in nature. They also made it clear that if the issue hadn't been time critical they would have approached the author first rather than yanking the post and then tweeting about it. They faced potential legal issues over this if it turned out to be less than factual. There is nothing inherently discriminatory or nasty is covering your ass legally. Based on what was said I am led to believe, that at such time as the assertions check out as factual the blog be put back up. Of course if it doesn't check out or there is some controversy they might elect to avoid being part of that, and any potential legal issues that could arise as a consequence.

The only problem with that explanation is that a) it's not factually accurate (see link to EFF's description of legal protection for providers who allow users to post on their site, section 230 of the Communications Decency Act), and b) was their second of two explanations (the first being that the blogs are for helping people discover science, which is also blatantly not true and lots of personal blog posts are made). If they'd pulled it originally for legal reasons they didn't need to talk about "discovering science," they could have just said, "the blog exposed us to legal risk and we took it down," but they didn't. They claimed they took it down because it wasn't sciencey.

I can't say I saw the 'original' explanation. I saw the editor's face book post, and the current update along with the restored post: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/urban-scientist/2013/10/11/give-trouble-to-others-but-not-me/ I've read plenty of observations on their blog network that weren't particularly 'sciency' (Cross check is often not particularly sciency). Which, now that I have seen the original explanation given is precisely the point many of the other writers made. Based on the additional reading you have pointed out to me it appears that the editor either didn't have an explanation on hand at the time and tossed one out without thinking about it, OR she has a vested interested in looking out for a former colleague or colleagues, at the other network which was apparently formerly affiliated with SCIAM, OR she's a bigot, OR some combination of the above. I suspect the second of the four is the answer. What a disappointment. Sad Thanks for pointing out to me there was more to the story than I'd caught. I will say the response from the other writers in the blog network was gratifying as hell.
E-boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
on the plus side, though, the mention of SCIAM conjured E-boy back into existence - how's it going, guy?

Things are going very well, thanks for asking. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 242, 243, 244 ... 270, 271, 272  Next
Page 243 of 272

Jump to: