Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oct. 19: Snikt snikt!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that you should quote that just now. I just finished writing the rough draft of an essay on why I think The Matrix is a stupid movie.

good quote, though
Miracle_Drakon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korladis wrote:
Miracle_Drakon wrote:
I repeat: it's a dangerous and uncontrolled machine. It should be deactivated ASAP.

So are you. Should you be deactivated?

Well, i'm not a machine. So i shouldn't. (Don't turn off your computer! This may harm it!)
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my computer and its software are neither sentient nor sapient
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh

Let's not have the toaster debate again.
Miracle_Drakon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

Or you just couldn't understand that. Smile
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhhh, go fuck a toaster.

while it's plugged in, preferably

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Matrix movie was good. The rest was ergh.
Echo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the xkcd #566 lowest section rule, there *was* only one Matrix film.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

except it's the horrible creeping stupidities and inconsistencies in the first film that set up the failures of the sequels
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Funny that you should quote that just now. I just finished writing the rough draft of an essay on why I think The Matrix is a stupid movie.
good quote, though
10 Minutes After the End of 'The Matrix' Trilogy
By: Luke McKinney 07-17-2012

Morpheus and the Architect stand behind the lectern in a packed White House press room. Morpheus addresses the crowd.
"People, hear me! You are all living in a vast simulation, a prison for your mind two centuries in your future. I am here to tell you that everything
is controlled by evil machines! I am here to tell you that you are now free! I am here, and feel I should add that I am not crazy!"
The blue hue of the sky and slow motion fight sequences are an artifact of these PC reboots that keep happening.
Murmuring from the crowd indicates that nobody believes any of this. Especially the last part.

The Architect sighs with a face-palm, and addresses the crowd.
"What he says is true. This is a simulation." Everyone in the Matrix suddenly spends five seconds in their goo tank screaming before returning to the Matrix.
Millions are violently sick. More people swear about never wanting to go through that again. Morpheus faces the crowd with his cool mirrored
shades, the worst possible thing to be wearing when you're asking people to trust you. [You can't see my eyes. I'm a strange man. Take these drugs.]

"All your lives you have been prisoners, but thanks to the selfless heroism of my team, you are now free!"
"What heroism?" demands a reporter in the front row.
"We triumphed over the machines in the Capital City Federal Building!"
"My dad worked in that building!"
"We rescued an innocent program during a totally kickass freeway chase!"
"My mom was driving into town for dad's funeral!"

"Then we valiantly detonated the power plants supplying this whole city!"
"Son of a bitch, are you really standing there telling us 'Hey, I'm the most successful terrorist in American history'? What the hell are you expecting us to do?"
"Well, I was hoping that you'd want to leave America and come live with me in a cave near Afganistan."

The room goes completely silent, except for the rustle of Agents drawing sidearms and pushing forward through the crowd. Morpheus is
about to shoot when he realizes that these aren't Matrix Agents, but regular Secret Service agents reacting to a mass-murderering zealot
who is somehow filming his "I claim responsibility" video in the White House. The reporter continues.

"And if you're a magic savior who lives outside this reality, why is it in a cave instead of a glorious paradise with virgins?
I mean, that's what you lunatics normally promise, right?" "Alas, we cannot live on the surface because we also destroyed the sky."
The Architect brings up a display of the real world's really shitty sky just so the crowd won't think Morpheus has started reciting emo poetry.
"So you see, it is only sensible that you come live in our cave."

The Architect leans in to whisper something. Morpheus nods.
"Yes, that's true, most of them will die, because Zion is already ludicrously overcrowded and looks like a refugee camp that lost a fight
with a landfill. And recovering even one person from the Matrix requires weeks of intense medical attention. And the only thing that kept
the populace in line was a religious figure who's now dead." [The promised land, assuming people promised things would suck.]

More whispering.
"Yes, and most of the machines will die because they have no other source of power." Morpheus turns back to the crowd. "So come,
people! Sacrifice everything you have ever known and probably die, in order to kill enemies who you never knew you had, who are
now at peace with us anyway!"

"You're a total psychopath!"
"But our society is two centuries ahead of yours! Think of all the progress we have made in that time!"
"Like blowing up the sky? Losing a war so badly that you have to hide in literally the deepest darkest cave on the planet?
Developing terrorism to the level of religion, national service and chief export?"

"Architect, show them how our modern society has transcended."
"BOO!!! That's just a rave! No one cares about your dance party." The Architect leans over to talk into the microphone.

"There is another option. The whole Matrix is predicated on the problem of choice, and I believe I have arrived at a superior solution.
I will give you a choice right now: You can all go live in his cave. Or you could remain here in the Matrix. We can't get rid of disease or
violence for reasons even I don't understand, but we're clearly allowed to screw around with computers and phones, so ... if you stay
in the Matrix, from now on all PC, phone and internet content will load instantly for free and no more bills will arrive ever again."
And that's why Zion was abandoned and the machines lived happily ever after.
[The end?] -L.McKinney 2012
Korladis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miracle_Drakon wrote:
Korladis wrote:
Miracle_Drakon wrote:
I repeat: it's a dangerous and uncontrolled machine. It should be deactivated ASAP.

Well, i'm not a machine. So i shouldn't. (Don't turn off your computer! This may harm it!)

What are you but a machine with a personality? Just like Rogue Fembot. The difference is that you're wetware, while she's hardware.
Korladis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miracle_Drakon wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

My computer can't think on its own, or act according to its own desires and motives. Rogue Fembot can.
Echo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"There is another option. The whole Matrix is predicated on the problem of choice, and I believe I have arrived at a superior solution.
I will give you a choice right now: You can all go live in his cave. Or you could remain here in the Matrix. We can't get rid of disease or
violence for reasons even I don't understand, but we're clearly allowed to screw around with computers and phones, so ... if you stay
in the Matrix, from now on all PC, phone and internet content will load instantly for free and no more bills will arrive ever again."
And that's why Zion was abandoned and the machines lived happily ever after.
[The end?] -L.McKinney 2012

I think the "no disease or violence" thing got mentioned in the films. In that they started The Matrix off as a paradise, but people couldn't cope with it, so they introduced disease and suffering and misery and suddenly all the humans could deal with it all.
Miracle_Drakon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korladis wrote:
Miracle_Drakon wrote:
Korladis wrote:
Miracle_Drakon wrote:

What are you but a machine with a personality? Just like Rogue Fembot. The difference is that you're wetware, while she's hardware.

This kind of a philosophy (man as machine) had been outdated by the end of the XVIII century already.
Miracle_Drakon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korladis wrote:
Miracle_Drakon wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

My computer can't think on its own, or act according to its own desires and motives. Rogue Fembot can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie

P.S. If your computer show you a message: "I'm not your slave and i don't want to work for you" and then stop to react anymore - what would you do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: