welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Self-Improvement Diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 50, 51, 52  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pint

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely dropped 55lbs on my head during overhead squats a couple days ago...

How did the wandering into the "elitist" area of gym people go?
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been riding my bike everywhere. It's my primary transportation. As a result, I am the lowest weight I've been since my senior year of high school and with fairly toned muscles in general.

Also, in other areas of self improvement, I've been practicing playing guitar and singing each week, and trying to learn at least one new song every week. It's gone well so far.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pint wrote:

It was terrible. Then I remembered anywhere you go people are assholes on the internet. I'm a pretty big stickler for form, but I am also not going to openly judge people for doing it wrong. The only time I do that is when they are cheating to get more weight, like rocking while curling or kicking their feet during a pull up. Mostly because I lost a lifting bet in high school because of this.

I have also moved, or am moving slowly, to free weights again. Machines are fun to get back into the swing, but free weights are definitely more smooth feeling.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a derp

and a stupid

how can I stop being such a derp
Pint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Pint wrote:

It was terrible. Then I remembered anywhere you go people are assholes on the internet. I'm a pretty big stickler for form, but I am also not going to openly judge people for doing it wrong. The only time I do that is when they are cheating to get more weight, like rocking while curling or kicking their feet during a pull up. Mostly because I lost a lifting bet in high school because of this.

I have also moved, or am moving slowly, to free weights again. Machines are fun to get back into the swing, but free weights are definitely more smooth feeling.

HAHA! They call that "kipping" for pull ups to get more reps than strict. I am terrible at kipping.

Its great to be moving to free weights. The smooth/natural feeling feels better to me as well.

In my news of self improvement... I am hungry all the time now that I started working out and eating healthy. I only eat until I am full Smile Its only been a little over a week and I am starting to see results.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat more now. But I pay attention to what it is I eat. I haven't really changed my diet too much, just have protein snacks in between meals and maybe a little more at dinner. My goal isn't to lose weight, I'd rather it be muscle though.

I finally got the courage to over come my high school fear of the squats. Low weight (~65% body weight), high reps for now. I have replaced the leg extensions with squatting.

I also got my wife to move over to the weights after the elliptical. She's very happy with the results already which makes me happy.

AND I figured out the training rope and will be adding it to the end of my routine tomorrow. The first time I picked it up I just flailed for a minute and ran off when I heard someone coming, like a raccoon caught in the garbage.
Pint

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat more now too. Currently resetting my eating/drinking habits by a 30 day 'cleanse' of alcohol, gluten, and dairy (which I shouldn't be eating). I never really snacked before, but now I have to eat every few hours.

Thats great your wife has moved over to the weights. Lifting weights is great for women Smile And unlike I previously believed, unlikely to make women look bulky. LOL. Up until I started crossfit, I stayed away from the barbells.

The image of you running away from the rope had me laughing. I am still a little weird about using the ropes.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pint wrote:

The image of you running away from the rope had me laughing. I am still a little weird about using the ropes.

Holy cow the rope kicked my ass. Felt good though.

Except for the girl who kept trying to weasel in and do her stretches next to the ropes every time I'd rest. There were so many other places...
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the gym. Eight months ago, in an effort to get our finances under better control and pay down a bunch of debt, we cut out basically all non-essential expenses (a different form of self improvement, I guess). Which has been great in a lot of ways, but means that I'm working out at home with basic body weight exercises, no weights.

I think I'm going to put a makeshift pull up bar in my closet. And murder myself trying to get to 25.

Anyone here on the Paleo diet? I have a couple of friends who are obsessed with it, and keep trying to convince me to get on it. I'm a little skeptical.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess this has nothing to do with physical fitness but I just finished writing a story that is longer than anything I've written in the last five or so years at least and that makes me really happy. I kept wanting to give up on it, but I didn't and now it's done. Huzzah!

As for diets I'm on the "oh god i don't want to go grocery shopping" diet. Last night was tomato soup and banana chips. Tonight was crackers and peanut butter.
TIAB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I learned a song that I've wanted to know how to play for ages. I can sing it too, but it's definitely pushing my vocal limits. Stone Sour - Bother, for the curious.
Pint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vox Raucus wrote:

Anyone here on the Paleo diet? I have a couple of friends who are obsessed with it, and keep trying to convince me to get on it. I'm a little skeptical.

I am mostly Paleo these days. It's just a way to eat more natural and healthy by keeping out the processed foods and unhealthy fats. I don't go crazy to the point of pushing out all grains, dairy and soy.

Also YAY Samsally and TIAB Smile
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, you can improve yourself by things other than exercise! congratulations on the writing, samsally!

as for me.....um...........i'm making a consistent promise to myself that i will get back into swimming! does that count?
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous SamSally! As someone who writes a ton of original and fan fiction but only has truly finished one story in her life (that I couldn't even show because it would need so much editing) I think that's a huge accomplishment.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, most of my stories fizzle out as soon as the first scene is over.

Then I hide it from everyone, less I be judged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 51 of 52

Jump to: