welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 749, 750, 751 ... 815, 816, 817  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
If anyone sends me to a camp, there had better be some arts and crafts there. Just saying.

If you get sent to a camp it damn well better be the Oregon Camp for People Dogen Wants to Visit. You and a dozen other people will be relocated to a camp outside Portland where you will be taught how to wax a mustache, how to order a beer in the PNW, appreciation for obscure PNW bands that haven't come out yet, and how to tell when the local coffee shop has become too big and needs to be ditched for the newer, grungier place next door (hint: it's all in the pastries).
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
If anyone sends me to a camp, there had better be some arts and crafts there. Just saying.

If you get sent to a camp it damn well better be the Oregon Camp for People Dogen Wants to Visit. You and a dozen other people will be relocated to a camp outside Portland where you will be taught how to wax a mustache, how to order a beer in the PNW, appreciation for obscure PNW bands that haven't come out yet, and how to tell when the local coffee shop has become too big and needs to be ditched for the newer, grungier place next door (hint: it's all in the pastries).

PNW 4 lyfe.
Him

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I voted Justice Party in 2012. Rocky Anderson got 0.03% of votes in the presidential election!

Just three powers of ten more votes and he would have had a real chance at it!

Their candidate for senate in Utah almost got a full percent of votes!

10/10 will vote again.

Well, my 15 year old self is super excited about this: Sawant Lands Tom Morello/Serj Tankian ‘Axis of Justice’ Endorsement

But yeah I'd say both Ty Moore and Kshama Sawant has a shot at getting in. Of course these are local city council races, can't expect a two-party system to crack from the top. Although a presidential campaign might be a tool for getting the word out there you have to take it for what it is, it can't be a goal in itself.

In a local race the stakes are a bit different.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Dogen wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

PNW 4 lyfe.

I am totally down with that. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The United Nations now told the Dutch which most of us know already: Our favorite holiday, Sinterklaas, is racist. Of course most of us also don't want to hear it, we want to stick our fingers in our ears while we receive candy and gifts while promoting blackface and/or the idea of black people working for white men.

Sinterklaas always has been a huge problem area for us. It's our biggest national holiday and our own, but it has racist elements which of course go against the idea that Dutch are supposed to be so open and friendly. (fyi, lots of Dutch are racist but surprisingly progressive in the LGBT and equality sector.) Attempts have been made to change it but have been met with annoyance.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
The United Nations now told the Dutch which most of us know already: Our favorite holiday, Sinterklaas, is racist. Of course most of us also don't want to hear it, we want to stick our fingers in our ears while we receive candy and gifts while promoting blackface and/or the idea of black people working for white men.

Nuh-uh! A single person in the UN vented an uninformed opinion and now everyone's mad. I'm all for adapting zwarte piet, but since yesterday any serious debate has become overshadowed by reactions to a single person's unfairly reported view.

For example she's said she's "obliged to further investigate it", which is exactly what you want to hear from someone heading an investigative committee. But the most widely reported snippet has her saying "why do you need two santa clauses?" which makes it sound like she's pushing santa claus (who we don't have over here, except in coke commercials and american films) on an unwilling nation. That's just silly and its a shame the knee-jerk reaction to it overwhelmed the previous debate which for the first time actually looked like it was getting somewhere.

Finally, I don't think you should call it blackface, for the simple reason that it's a term laden with connotations from the wrong cultural background. Zwarte Piet dresses like a horribly stereotypical black person, which is obviously terrible and needs to change, but I don't think it has anything to do with US minstrel shows. Or does it?
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops my bad, it was indeed a single person from the UN.

I do consider it blackface because it looks very closely like it. Even if the idea behind it is not to make fun of black people, it can still easily be interpreted as such. This is why outsiders think it's racist and honestly acting all surprised is silly. We know Sinterklaas can look pretty dang racist.

Personally I'm a fan of just making Sinterklaas black so that all of this shit would be out of the water. Of course that might be asking for more shit. xD
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senator Feinstein (D-Tartarus) is pushing another version of CISPA, currently in the draft phase. Congress just will not rest until the Internet is controlled and censored, apparently.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note, Brunei, where half of my family lives, has just invoked the Sharia law. Damnit.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Shocked

Yeah I'm kinda worried about it. I never saw the Sultan as someone doing such a thing - I doubt a lot of Bruneians are happy with it as well.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Michael wrote:
Shocked

Yeah I'm kinda worried about it. I never saw the Sultan as someone doing such a thing - I doubt a lot of Bruneians are happy with it as well.

Is your family in Brunei Muslim? Because according to this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/brunei-s-sultan-announces-strict-islamic-penalties-1.2159855

The laws would only apply to them. So if they're part of the 33% of the country who aren't Muslim, then they should be protected from Sharia law.

Although Sharia is still shitty and it still sucks for the 66% of the country.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Michael wrote:
Shocked

Is your family in Brunei Muslim? Because according to this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/brunei-s-sultan-announces-strict-islamic-penalties-1.2159855

The laws would only apply to them. So if they're part of the 33% of the country who aren't Muslim, then they should be protected from Sharia law.

Although Sharia is still shitty and it still sucks for the 66% of the country.

They are Muslim. They're also pretty Westernised so they don't wear headscarves, drink alcohol, smoke etc. It's pretty unsettling. I wonder what they plan to do. Haven't heard from them yet.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad this is happening in what could be described as one of the more progressive Islamic countries, and a member of the Commonwealth.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm....i was going to point out that they say it won't take effect for 6 months and that even non-Muslims might have something to say about living in a country that chops off people's hands....but then
Quote:
The implementation of Shariah criminal law is not expected to face vocal opposition in Brunei, which has long been known for conservative policies such as banning the public sale of liquor.

Sultan Hassanal, who has reigned since 1967, is Brunei's head of state with full executive authority. Public criticism of his policies is extremely rare in Brunei.

that doesn't make things sound too hopeful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 749, 750, 751 ... 815, 816, 817  Next
Page 750 of 817

Jump to: