welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and the rest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, yeah, handy for everyone! I really do feel like standard English vocabulary is sadly lacking in the 'how to describe these feelings and opinions' front. I mean, there are so many different kinds of love, you know? Why is there only one word for love?

It reminds me of those studies where they found that language honestly shapes how people see things (I'm sorry Dogen, I am lazy and haven't found the links yet). Cultures that have the same word for blue and green have a harder time identifying blue vs. green.

I think our lack of words for these things really fucks up our culture in some truly unfortunate ways.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me till just now to realize the title of this thread is probably a play on the Gilligans Island theme.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medicare is going to reexamine the ban on gender confirmation surgeries!

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2013/12/11/medicare-re-examine-gender/

Considering the ban was based on very outdated information from over 50 years ago, I'm hopeful this new evaluation will lead to overturning this ban.

If it is overturned, this will change a number of things. Not just because people will get the surgery they need, but because many states require surgeries in order to change identity documents.

Edit: This link offers more info - http://blogs.federaltimes.com/federal-times-blog/2013/12/09/is-the-administration-moving-to-include-transgender-care-in-federal-health-insurance-coverage/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if something the size of the federal government starts including transgender health care, it should give it a big push everywhere. that would be a good thing.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I'm worried for the people stuck in states where healthcare is facing obstacles, but I think packing up and moving to a nearby state would be infinitely more doable than saving up for surgery.

I'm going to put off the plans I had to fix my falling apart wardrobe till this gets settled. There will be a crapload more clothing options available for me if this ban is lifted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
There will be a crapload more clothing options available for me if this ban is lifted.

?
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moor wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
There will be a crapload more clothing options available for me if this ban is lifted.

?

Well, wearing a binder means that you're kinda limited to shirts with quite a high neckline and some form of sleeves if you don't want it to show. This isn't really a problem for me since I feel no real desire to wear deep neck vs or tank tops, but sometimes even shallow v-necks can show the binder and possibly, uh, more. Fortunately I don't really like swimming either, because you can imagine how much of a pain in the arse that would be.

Still, I would really like to get top surgery, I even know who I want to go to. I just don't know how to properly tell my parents about it, even though I've hinted about it to my mother in the past. My dad's kinda behind on being updated about gender stuff since he lives in the Philippines now.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously still don't know if I should call myself bisexual or pansexual and what the difference actually is. @.@
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've gathered, bisexual is an older term that just refers to being attracted to two genders (generally assumed to be men and women). Pansexual is newer and was intended to be more inclusive of ALL genders (agender and bigender come to mind).

I gather, though, there is some serious contention in the ranks as far as how people identify with the terms, though. Since bi has been around so much longer and it's usually the thing people learn about first when they find themselves attracted to more than one gender a lot of people use it even though they can be attracted to people with other gender identities, too.

I could be sort of off base with this? This is what I've gleaned from people talking about it around me, though.

The part I get fuzzy on, is how this relates to the Trans* community. I've never seen it laid out, but I assume that because a transwoman is a woman; a person who is attracted to only men and women could be attracted to her? Since organs do not determine gender. That's sort of how I've put the pieces together, anyway.

tl;dr: Pan includes the potential to be attracted to agender and bigender folks... (in other words, folk that don't identify with either gender and folk that identify with both of them.)
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ask yourself if you're attracted to this:

If No: Bisexual.

If Yes: Pansexual.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hot.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh that must be the first time that joke has ever happened and not like, literally in every discussion about pansexuality ever.

Boo.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly though the notion seems rather fuzzy to me. I mean, yeah the literal meaning of "bi-" is two but if we don't take the literal meaning of "pan-" into account (since there is no requirement to be attracted to every possible configuration of gender/sex) why should we for bi?

Like what if I'm not attracted to two genders but to three? Do we need another term?

Okay wait wikipedia says there is another term. Polysexuality which is used to avoid the problem with bisexuality by rejecting the dichotomy. Seems like a good term to indicate that you aren't attracted to two distinct sexes/genders while also not saying you're attracted to everything. After all, it is probable that you haven't encountered every person and their position in the genderspectrum. So how would you know you're not attracted to just a few?

stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Moor wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

?

Well, wearing a binder means that you're kinda limited to shirts with quite a high neckline and some form of sleeves if you don't want it to show. This isn't really a problem for me since I feel no real desire to wear deep neck vs or tank tops, but sometimes even shallow v-necks can show the binder and possibly, uh, more. Fortunately I don't really like swimming either, because you can imagine how much of a pain in the arse that would be.

Still, I would really like to get top surgery, I even know who I want to go to. I just don't know how to properly tell my parents about it, even though I've hinted about it to my mother in the past. My dad's kinda behind on being updated about gender stuff since he lives in the Philippines now.

I've stopped binding, because anxiety makes it hard enough to breathe. So clothes are even more limited.

Does your mom seem supportive?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

I've stopped binding, because anxiety makes it hard enough to breathe. So clothes are even more limited.

Does your mom seem supportive?

Yeah, mostly, I think she's finally getting that this isn't something I'm going to snap out of all of a sudden. It's just an awkward topic to bring up, "hey mum, I'd like to get something off my chest... literally".

I'm so sorry for making that terribly overused pun.

Having anxiety that bad must suck. I had to wear a sports bra for when I had my wisdom teeth out and of course all my paperwork is female and I'm pre-everything so I just pretended to be a cis girl for the day, but I swear there was no need to call me "young woman" "miss" etc. all the time. Whoops point was that I felt so weird just wearing that, my posture got even worse to try to "hide" them. I imagine that not being able to bind would increase your anxiety as well, even though the point of not doing it would be to make dealing with anxiety a little easier and not feel like you're going to suffocate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 17 of 45

Jump to: