welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nov. 21: Her monthly bill is due
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had horrible horrible ones, but I never craved chocolate. I craved steak and potato chips. And I had to have lots and lots of ibuprofen. Then I took testosterone and it went far, far away.

I think it is really stupid that some high schools require girls to check their otc pain meds for menstruation with the school nurse, like it's a dangerous drug. Ibuprofen is pretty safe, as far as I know, and the kids shouldn't have to leave class to go get it.

Also, the Navy will not let you join if you have severe cramps. I recall them asking if people had cramps at all, and saying yes being a disqualifier.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the WORST days of my life was when the cramps from hell, food-borne illness, and a literally blinding migraine all ganged up on me at once. And nobody took me seriously or took care of me, so I was left home alone to writhe in utter agony while all the rest of my family and friends were out on a picnic.

Childbirth -was- a picnic compared to that day.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
LadySunami wrote:
More then the gentlemen of the forum ever wanted to know, I'm sure. Wink

Not at all, I'm a strong believer that knowledge is power. The more educated I become, the better person I become, the increased likelihood that when/if I ever enter another serious relationship with a lady I won't fuck it up and die alone.

Haha, even more basic than that... if you love a woman, are related to a woman, have a woman in your family, or just think women are neat, you should be at least moderately interested in understanding their bodies. There is no down side to understanding what they go through, and all you really have to do is ask.

That goes for more than just the menstrual cycle, too (though that's a good place to start). Like contraception (the pill versus IUDs versus shots versus implantable devices). Or how a particular woman orgasms (you could try measuring the distance between her clitoris and vagina, but if you don't ask first it might be awkward). Human bodies are neat, and if you find someone you like then understanding their body goes right along understanding them as a person. Everyone will be happier.

All good things too know for certain people... I knew with high accuracy the menstrual cycle of my best friend because once a week she spends a night at my dorm... and the she just didn't one week... then for a few weeks she would stay over one night out of the week... then not... eventually i figured out the pattern. She found it weird that I found that out though... I could understand why.
Kendra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, what Rune said reminded me of a horrid experience I had in August. My dad had signed up to do Warrior Dash this year, which is an obstacle course style race, but a few weeks before the race he twisted his ankle. So I had to take his place, and though you may think an 18 year old would be better prepared than a 40 year old, I hadn't exercised all summer. I finished the race, and it was a lot of fun. But in the car when we were driving home, all hell broke loose.....my period came earlier than usual, my body was freaking out from the sudden burst of exercise, I got food poisoning from the veggie burger I ate after the race....it was just hell in a bottle. lol.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:
True. I actually had no idea digestion could be influenced by menstration for ages. No media ever mentions even the possibility. I suffered quite needlessly for a long time because I had no reason to even consider a connection. Now I know to be more careful what I eat at certain times.

I was probably in my 20's by the time I FINALLY figured this out. Maybe I should have caught on sooner but it's so fucking weird to have access to all this information (or think you do) and then find out that, no really, people just don't talk about this ever.

Couldn't have they mentioned this ONCE in fucking health class or something? Instead they just paid some creepy old lady to giggle over slideshows of STDs.
wobster109

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder what's Mr. Ishida's experience with menstruation that makes him keep cartooning about it. ^^

About a third of mine are terrible. They are like very bad indigestion that doesn't go away, and this lasts 4 to 6 hours for me. When I was a teenager, it would make me vomit. Body didn't know how to handle it at the time.

No one should ever accuse anyone of PMS. In addition to being dismissive of my reasoning and intelligence, it's also dismissive of my physical pain. "You're just PMSing" carries an undertone of "therefore you're being unreasonable". Maybe being unhappy about pain is perfectly reasonably after all.

@Samsally - School sex ed is a joke. They weren't interested in teaching me about my body, not at all. All they cared about was making sex seem evil.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerseRiddle wrote:
Dogen wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
LadySunami wrote:
More then the gentlemen of the forum ever wanted to know, I'm sure. Wink

Not at all, I'm a strong believer that knowledge is power. The more educated I become, the better person I become, the increased likelihood that when/if I ever enter another serious relationship with a lady I won't fuck it up and die alone.

Haha, even more basic than that... if you love a woman, are related to a woman, have a woman in your family, or just think women are neat, you should be at least moderately interested in understanding their bodies. There is no down side to understanding what they go through, and all you really have to do is ask.

That goes for more than just the menstrual cycle, too (though that's a good place to start). Like contraception (the pill versus IUDs versus shots versus implantable devices). Or how a particular woman orgasms (you could try measuring the distance between her clitoris and vagina, but if you don't ask first it might be awkward). Human bodies are neat, and if you find someone you like then understanding their body goes right along understanding them as a person. Everyone will be happier.

All good things too know for certain people... I knew with high accuracy the menstrual cycle of my best friend because once a week she spends a night at my dorm... and the she just didn't one week... then for a few weeks she would stay over one night out of the week... then not... eventually i figured out the pattern. She found it weird that I found that out though... I could understand why.

No, not just certain people. If there are women in your life at all it behooves you to understand how their bodies work to some degree, because they make up half the population (or slightly more) and we treat them like their bodies are the Great Pyramids of Egypt (fun to visit but no one understands the mechanics). You should know what causes menstrual cramps and what sorts of things tend to relieve them (heat, NSAIDs [because they inhibit production of prostaglandins associated with menstrual pain], etc), just like you should know what causes a fever and how to treat it, or what to do when someone sprains an ankle. It should be part of every person's basic first aid repertoire.

You don't have to become a gynecologist, but you should at least understand a thing or two about menstruation and contraception... and if you have sex with women then you either understand female orgasms or you're a shitty lover.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobster109 wrote:
@Samsally - School sex ed is a joke. They weren't interested in teaching me about my body, not at all. All they cared about was making sex seem evil.

Yeah, same story at my school.

They had some doof come in to give us a big spiel about abstinence and everything. Like literally the entire school went to his stupid presentation.

At one point he gave us the story about how waiting makes things better. Like "There were two girls" because of course they were girls, nobody talks to guys like this... anyway, "There are two girls and they're both given a marshmallow and told they can have another marshmallow if they wait five minutes before eating the first one. The girl that ate her marshmallow before the five minutes was up was sad." And like I guess the moral of the story was waiting makes things better but that makes NO FUCKING SENSE and now I'm really really angry about it because I waited until I was 25 (not because of dumbass's story) and it wasn't that great.

But like what is the comparison here? Where is the proof that waiting for sex makes it better? There is literally nothing concrete about that and basically anybody sexual that does have sex on the regular insists that it gets better with practice so really that was a big fat lie. Not even misleading, just plain wrong.

I MIGHT BE KIND OF BITTER!?

God I didn't even know I had it in me to rant about this again. This used to be a funny story. Because after his stupid speech everyone went around asking everyone else "Are you a one marshmallow or two marshmallow kinda girl? *winkwinknudgenudge*"
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Are you a one marshmallow or two marshmallow kinda girl? *winkwinknudgenudge*"

annnnnnd Best Pickup Line Of The Year Goes to...

My school's sex ed was pretty much "USE PROTECTION OR THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE YOU COULD CATCH SOMETHING AND DIE". Blunt, but it works.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really isn't enough, perhaps I cut the ranty portion too much.
Hydro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I had horrible horrible ones, but I never craved chocolate. ...

I've read the chocolate craving is spectulated as the body wanting magnesium. I read this on old fashioned paper, so I can't provide a link. Magensium can help the part of your brain that reacts to pain to chill a bit. I take magensium supplements to help counteract headaches.
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought people might pick up on it after Stripey's post, but it's not just women who get periods, have uteri, etc. I know most people are cis but when people talk about stuff with words like "female experience" and "women's organs" it makes me pretty uncomfortable. Not to mention trans women who are basically implied to then not be a woman/have "female" parts because they don't bleed out of a uterus. It reminds me of a particularly horrible exchange I saw where a whole bunch of TERFs ganged up on a trans woman who was talking about having cramps because she was "appropriating women's experiences" and thought she was faking since she "couldn't have periods". They were pretty goddamn nasty, lots of misgendering. Turns out that cramps are caused by hormones and some other stuff, not just having a uterus, so she was pretty much experiencing exactly the kind of pain that cis women on their periods have. Someone even wrote in to tell them a cis friend who didn't have a uterus (can't remember why) had the same thing.
LadySunami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
LadySunami wrote:
True. I actually had no idea digestion could be influenced by menstruation for ages. No media ever mentions even the possibility. I suffered quite needlessly for a long time because I had no reason to even consider a connection. Now I know to be more careful what I eat at certain times.

I was probably in my 20's by the time I FINALLY figured this out. Maybe I should have caught on sooner but it's so fucking weird to have access to all this information (or think you do) and then find out that, no really, people just don't talk about this ever.

Couldn't have they mentioned this ONCE in fucking health class or something? Instead they just paid some creepy old lady to giggle over slideshows of STDs.

Yeah, I didn't figure it out until just recently... I also feel like I should have caught on sooner. Years of storing both ibuprofen and pepto bismol in the same little pouch in my purse, and it never occurred to me that every time I took the pepto bismol I was sure to need the ibuprofen either the next day or the day after.

I don't get why schools refuse to give such information. I mean the "ABSTINENCE IS AMAZING" nonsense is at least clearly religiously motivated, but what purpose does completely failing to mention possible side effects and means of dealing with them serve? Teaching students about what the uterus does during menstruation, fertilization, pregnancy, etc. without mentioning the practical aspects is just stupid.

You might as well teach fire safety by only explaining the principles behind combustion. It's good to know and all, but if I'm in a flaming building somehow I think knowledge like "you can put a damp cloth over your mouth to reduce smoke inhalation," "touch a door with the back of your hand to feel if it's warm before opening it," etc. is far more useful to me.

Ennis wrote:
I thought people might pick up on it after Stripey's post, but it's not just women who get periods, have uteri, etc. I know most people are cis but when people talk about stuff with words like "female experience" and "women's organs" it makes me pretty uncomfortable. Not to mention trans women who are basically implied to then not be a woman/have "female" parts because they don't bleed out of a uterus. It reminds me of a particularly horrible exchange I saw where a whole bunch of TERFs ganged up on a trans woman who was talking about having cramps because she was "appropriating women's experiences" and thought she was faking since she "couldn't have periods". They were pretty goddamn nasty, lots of misgendering. Turns out that cramps are caused by hormones and some other stuff, not just having a uterus, so she was pretty much experiencing exactly the kind of pain that cis women on their periods have. Someone even wrote in to tell them a cis friend who didn't have a uterus (can't remember why) had the same thing.

Good point. I probably shouldn't direct my anger towards my uterus then. If women without uteri get cramps too, the uterus obviously isn't solely to blame. At least not for anything but blood leakage.

Out of curiosity, do men with uteri bleed monthly as well? If they're on testosterone supplements I mean. I am under the impression that high testosterone levels prevent the uterine cycle.
LadySunami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I think it is really stupid that some high schools require girls to check their otc pain meds for menstruation with the school nurse, like it's a dangerous drug. Ibuprofen is pretty safe, as far as I know, and the kids shouldn't have to leave class to go get it.

This annoyed me so much. My grade school was particularly horrible about it. You weren't allowed to take ANY medication without a doctor's or at least a note giving your parents' permission. Even if you had permission, you'd have to visit the nurse, tell her why you needed it, and have her hand you a dose. The very idea of doing that was pretty mortifying to me. Most of us girls ignored the rules and just kept a discreet stash somewhere. If we stored painkillers in our purses next to our pads and tampons, most teachers were smart enough to conveniently "forget" if they ever saw them. I actually had a math teacher in junior high who got a headache once and asked if any of us girls had painkillers. She promised not to rat us out and sure enough several girls offered to give her some. I though it was funny.

There was another teacher who was awful though. I never saw her take any girl's pain killers away, but I'm guessing she would have. She was really strict about things like the school uniform and would tell us off for the most minor of infractions. She once scolded me for wearing my uniform sweatshirt around my waist! Considering the girls were actually taught in health class to wear our sweatshirts around our waists to cover up cases of blood leakage (one of the rare gems of actual practical knowledge they gave us), I couldn't figure out why the hell she was upset about it. She was our health teacher for crying out loud! That particular day I wasn't wearing it to cover anything, but she had absolutely no way of knowing that. Besides, if it's only allowed under those exact circumstances, talk about conspicuous. The whole affair was awkward enough at that age without feeling like you're signalling to the whole class when you're menstruating.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
TerseRiddle wrote:

No, not just certain people. If there are women in your life at all it behooves you to understand how their bodies work to some degree, because they make up half the population (or slightly more) and we treat them like their bodies are the Great Pyramids of Egypt (fun to visit but no one understands the mechanics). You should know what causes menstrual cramps and what sorts of things tend to relieve them (heat, NSAIDs [because they inhibit production of prostaglandins associated with menstrual pain], etc), just like you should know what causes a fever and how to treat it, or what to do when someone sprains an ankle. It should be part of every person's basic first aid repertoire.

You don't have to become a gynecologist, but you should at least understand a thing or two about menstruation and contraception... and if you have sex with women then you either understand female orgasms or you're a shitty lover.

I worded my response incorrectly and I apologize. I meant that you don't necessarily have to know the specifics for everyone.. but by certain people I do mean the women in your life. I believe it's important to know how a woman's body works.. maybe I just though of what you said be for in the wrong light.. I was thinking less biologically and more personally. Because knowing the way an individual's body works on a person by person basis may seem a bit too personal to them.. which was why I had the example I used. But on the general, I completely agree that men should know. I don't know all of the specifics of how the menstrual cycle causes cramps and fevers, but lucky for me my anatomy and physiology teacher mentioned that we'd be learning all about that next semester.. and I have already learned about female orgasms thanks to my sociology teacher who also taught a sociology of sex class. But yes, I do believe these general things are things everyone should know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: