welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-11-15: Sociopath
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onimaru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Sociopathy is poorly defined term that can refer to ASPD or any number of other behavioral subsets of psychopathy. Being "cold, unfeeling, heartless" and "incapable of love" are not,by themselves, symptoms of either ASPD or psychopathy, the latter of which generally also has an element of dominance and violence, while the former generally revolves around a lack of conscience and disregard for the rights of others. And combined they come with a laundry list of other symptoms such as histories of violent behavior, lack of behavioral control, lack of fear, and compulsive lying.

In short, an antisocial person is not necessarily a sociopath.

I find it very funny, and perhaps a bit scary, that your description of what sociopathy/Psychopathy is, it's history of behavior and the acts it inflicts, describes how Tatsuya Depicts how Sam treats Liberty and how he acts in general.

This is made all the more frightening in the fact that he regularly depicts the acts of a nation and a mentality considered 'acceptable' for the majority of men. Thus making me consider that as a Group Mind, or perhaps more appropriately Mob Mentality, we as a people follow a rather psychotic Government.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not outlandish to think that culture plays a role in how we express ourselves both normally and in maladaptive ways. Men and women aren't raised the same, whether we like it or not, and that leads to socialization in how each gender is supposed to both behave and misbehave. Women, for instance, are more likely to be diagnosed with depression, while men are more likely to be diagnosed with substance abuse disorders. The literature on borderline personality disorder talks about how men with BPD are more likely to have externalized symptoms (lashing out) and women are more likely to have internalized symptoms (mood, eating, and anxiety symptoms), both of which have been theorized to be culture-bound. So it makes sense that culture dictates how we express mental illness, and that to some degree mental illness will look like normal behavior carried to an extreme degree.

Which is just to say that it makes sense that some mental illnesses will look like extreme versions of normal behavior, because everyone in the US is raised in more or less the same culture.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus if you ask most of the foreign festers in general discussion they'll tell you they pretty much think our government is psychotic.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Plus if you ask most of the foreign festers in general discussion they'll tell you they pretty much think our government is psychotic.

Your government is psychotic. Paranoid psychotic.

Although I won't be so bold as to say my own isn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: