welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1220, 1221, 1222 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jinx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine the frustration of feeling that your mother is not getting the care you feel she deserves and that you are paying for. That would definitely make me a bitter person towards certain people.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I feel compelled to ask a clarifying question. Your heavily disabled mother says that illnesses aren't real?
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
I can imagine the frustration of feeling that your mother is not getting the care you feel she deserves and that you are paying for. That would definitely make me a bitter person towards certain people.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I feel compelled to ask a clarifying question. Your heavily disabled mother says that illnesses aren't real?

It's a logical question after my two rants.

This was pre-brain damage. She has always lived a life that was pretty tough coming out of a poor family in a poor corrupt country. It's not so much that illness isn't real, it's that you get out of bed and get to work unless you're dead. That said, even then she was the nicest person there was, always working so hard that it scared me. She changed overnight when a blood vessel popped in her brain. From someone who did constant charity work, sported a lot and was socially active, she was reduced to a person bound to a wheelchair. This was 4 years ago and even though I get the feeling she's not always saying the truth just to make us feel better, I give her lots of hugs anyway.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that all sounds very unfun, Yinello.

can you give the nurses like a one-page summary of Really Important Things to Know (like, she can't stand)? because it seems like they are not getting a lot of info from whoever is sending them out. and clearly it needs to be short, or they will ignore it - but this way, you would know they were getting the important info, and you wouldn't have to worry that they didn't understand your mom.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your mom is in a wheelchair, has a history of a cerebral hemorrhage, and has difficulty communicating verbally and the new nurse thought she could stand in the shower?

I'm all about helping patients do things they've never done before... But those are big, red flags that say, "look into this more before making any assumptions about me!"

I would have murdered the new nurse already. But mouse's suggestion is also good.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i figure the other advantage to the list is that then you have documentation that you alerted them to her condition, which might give you a better defense in your murder trial.

it's all about thinking ahead.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terrible that that happened to your mother, Yinello. When my grandfather was alive and in a nursing home here, he fell out of his bed a couple times. We asked if they couldn't put up the rails on his bed so he wouldn't fall out. But no, they weren't allowed to do that. They would put pillows on the floor to cushion his falls. My mom still talks about this even now and how guilty she felt for having to put him there.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I worry about all the people who will be entering nursing homes soon. As I understand it, there's going to be a real problem regarding care and the age bubble.

I hope Mouse's suggestion works out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

can you give the nurses like a one-page summary of Really Important Things to Know (like, she can't stand)? because it seems like they are not getting a lot of info from whoever is sending them out. and clearly it needs to be short, or they will ignore it - but this way, you would know they were getting the important info, and you wouldn't have to worry that they didn't understand your mom.

I'm not always there (and neither is my dad or the regular nurses) so we hung up a blackboard with a small description of what my mom can/cannot do and needs. But these new nurses, they're hired with the idea of low salaries (thus low quality), they just don't seem to pay any fucking attention. We've already taken it directly to management.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
So your mom is in a wheelchair, has a history of a cerebral hemorrhage, and has difficulty communicating verbally and the new nurse thought she could stand in the shower?

I'm all about helping patients do things they've never done before... But those are big, red flags that say, "look into this more before making any assumptions about me!"

I would have murdered the new nurse already. But mouse's suggestion is also good.

It pisses me off but I know by experience there's no point in getting mad at these new nurses. Their lack of experience/empathy because of low salaries and little explanation is due to budget cuts. The proper regular nurses get swamped with work because the other elderlies don't trust the newbies.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:
That's terrible that that happened to your mother, Yinello. When my grandfather was alive and in a nursing home here, he fell out of his bed a couple times. We asked if they couldn't put up the rails on his bed so he wouldn't fall out. But no, they weren't allowed to do that. They would put pillows on the floor to cushion his falls. My mom still talks about this even now and how guilty she felt for having to put him there.

Geeze that's terrible.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:

Same, they just padded the floor in my grandmothers room. I believe they cited fire safety for not putting the rails up or some nonsense.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
eureka00 wrote:

Same, they just padded the floor in my grandmothers room. I believe they cited fire safety for not putting the rails up or some nonsense.

Yeah, it was something like that and the fact that it could be viewed as some sort of restraint and they weren't allowed to do that, even though, the man couldn't walk.
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is minor compared to Yinello's, but yesterday afternoon we got an email from my daughters' teacher letting us know that no less than three (!) sets of parents sent their kids to school sick yesterday, and had to be sent home early. Seriously - your kids are describing flu-like symptoms to their teachers, leave them the fuck at home.

As a result, my daughters alternated vomiting all night long, so sleep was scarce. And I have to present to a group of service providers today. In fact, this week is the busiest week of the quarter, and I just can't get sick.

It's going to be a very long week.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
mouse wrote:

I'm not always there (and neither is my dad or the regular nurses) so we hung up a blackboard with a small description of what my mom can/cannot do and needs. But these new nurses, they're hired with the idea of low salaries (thus low quality), they just don't seem to pay any fucking attention. We've already taken it directly to management.

taking it to management sounds like your only remaining option. one would think (whatever the pay was) that people would try at least to avoid causing themselves problems (dealing with your mother floundering around in the shower can't have been easy, and the nurse could have avoiding it by just reading the note)...but apparently not. i hope management will actually do something useful.

and Vox, you have my uttermost sympathy. i already hate people who drag themselves to work when they are sick, but sending their kids to school where they will feel really miserable and, of course, infect everyone else....that's really bad. NPR says it's not too late to get a flu shot, though! (and apparently the ones that cure flu once you have it work if you take them within 48 hrs. of being infected - and i would say you can nail down the time you were infected pretty well).
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

argh yinello that is awful :c

so we put that stray cat down today. the neurologist told us that he'd lost pain sensation in his toes, which was a sign of deterioration, and once that started it would be a very quick slide downhill. they could remove the pellet, but it would be another two months before we knew whether he'd recover. in the meantime, he still wouldn't be able to walk, we'd still have to express his bladder and bowels, and we might have had to do that for two months only to find out that he'll never recover and it's time to let him go. even if our other pets had accepted him, which was no sure thing, he wouldn't have been able to romp around with them or anything. it would've been cruel to make him live like that.

and to top it all off my laptop is in the shop again

so fuck this time of year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1220, 1221, 1222 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next
Page 1221 of 1246

Jump to: