welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-11-27: How Do You Do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: 2013-11-27: How Do You Do? Reply with quote

Perhaps he needs an even closer acquaintance with how they do.
Ennis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, if Pebbles, Botsy and Lil Sis teamed up... look out dudebros.

Also, I have a special level of dislike for "hello ladies". There are very few situations in which it doesn't seem at least a little skeevy. The "special" level comes in because I'm mad that someone completely ignored every aspect of my presentation and decided that I would be totes down with being included in "ladies". Excuse you I have better taste in men's fashion than you do, random dude.
cleocatra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Oh man, if Pebbles, Botsy and Lil Sis teamed up... look out dudebros.

Also, I have a special level of dislike for "hello ladies". There are very few situations in which it doesn't seem at least a little skeevy. The "special" level comes in because I'm mad that someone completely ignored every aspect of my presentation and decided that I would be totes down with being included in "ladies". Excuse you I have better taste in men's fashion than you do, random dude.

I understand gq issues :< very gender ignored, much depressed.

On the other hand this particular dude I see as just some sort of salesman and essentially harmless. Just sucks he tried to talk to those who do not understand a lot more basic communication lol.
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Essentially harmless"? Isn't this the guy from Sunday?
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panel 3 is freaking cool.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo wrote:

I doubt it; this guy looks like every other generic guy Tat draws. Besides, this is kind of a weird way to bring him back.
Echo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
I doubt it; this guy looks like every other generic guy Tat draws. Besides, this is kind of a weird way to bring him back.

I dunno - same clothes, same hat, same hair tuft... too many details match for it to be coincidental. There's enough variety in "background guy" characters that if this was one, I'd expect to pick up on an obvious difference or two among all the similarities. Either it is the same guy, or it's meant to look very much like him, playing heavily into 'Nique's dilemma here
Onimaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, they don't know what he might have done. And from all appearances in the first panel he was just being polite and friendly by saying hello as he passes them by, Tatsuya usually has very obvious facial expressions when a guy is perving on women even when they are 'just' looking, this guy didn't exhibit any of those usual traits.

That being said I don't think that Pebbles and Botsy were actually threatening the guy at all, I think they were simply responding to what they viewed as the 'question' of 'How do they do?' It was a simple demonstration, not a threat or belief they needed to attack him for something he did.

Because we all know that if Botsy believes you've done her or someone else wrong she's going to let you KNOW Razz Either verbally (Need comic reference) Or otherwise, (Need Multiple comic references. Razz )
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Echo wrote:

It could be a different guy, but my theory was that this was Tats' revenge on the creep from Sunday by showing him that there are women who can and will fight back if he tries to take advantage of them. Because no other characters in the comic know what he did in Sunday's strip (except the unfortunate victim of his bedevilment, and who knows whether or not she's in a state to speak out about it), there's unlikely to be a confrontation over it, but maybe Tats decided this was the next-best thing.

Or he could be a harmless random dude; but by drawing some random dude in the exact same outfit so soon after Sunday's strip, Tats had to know they would be confused with one another.
wobster109

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhhh. It depends on whether they are actually threatening him or just demonstrating. Demonstrating would be awesome! I don't personally believe in threatening / otherwise being mean to guys who are clueless but well-intentioned.

Obviously this means clueless about small things, like how to address a group of women. I have zero tolerance for sexual harassment. But with how to address a group of women, people prefer different things. Some people dislike being called "you guys", others dislike "ladies", and there are valid reasons to dislike both. I just don't think it's right to be harsh with someone who says "you guys" or "ladies". They're probably confused rather than evil.

And I know it gets frustrating, having the same annoying things happening over and over again, like background radiation, like a chronic buzzing that never goes away. I also know what happens when you lash out. People who, upon hearing that I'm an atheist, ask me "why are atheists always so hostile?" when I've never been hostile to them. They won't listen, they won't change their ways, and they'll come away thinking horribly unfair things, like "atheists are hostile" or "feminists are bullies".

That said, this guy definitely deserved it. All the men that 'Nique used to see, they never looked alike within the same month. He's totally the guy from Sunday. Walking along pretending like he's a friendly neighbor. Blech.
Rune

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the arguments as to whether or not that dude is Sunday's bomf john, and whether or not that makes him a bad, bad creeper man, this comes to mind:

http://sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4597

Funny thing about the virgin/whore dichotomy, is it allows men to compartmentalize their treatment of women. From a privileged perspective, bomfing (metaphorically) "whores" doesn't make the man a bad man, and if he's not dealing with a woman who he would put in the "whore" compartment, (and dude there is very much putting Pebbles and Botsy in the "ladies" one here,) he probably doesn't mean them any harm and would be perfectly nice and good and genial.

So long as they stay in the "ladies/virgin" box and don't end up in the "skank/whore/unladylike" one.

Oh, whoops, that was unexpected, world is all shook up there now, isn't it?

What kind of dude the dude ultimately is might depend on whether this is a moment for waking up, and starting to see both sets of women as actual people, or if it's a moment for retrenchment and deciding that Pebbles and Botsy are the wrong sort of women, and thus can be treated badly without tarnishing his "nice guy" self-image.

Choosing the right thing there might be hard, because that would mean admitting that he's done some serious harm to -real people-. Because he absolutely has, and it's so very not okay, regardless of what his self-image is, and whatever his daily not-to-"whores" interactions are.
Night Spade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Chivalry(AKA so-called benign chauvinism) still lingers in this day and age like a lavender scented zombie just hankering to infest its victims with the dreaded patriarchy virus, the only way you can defeat this menace is with the chainsaw of feminism and the super-soaker filled with the holy water of sexual equality.
tricksterson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebbles I think was just innocently showing off. Not so sure about Rogue but i don't think she intended any actual harm either, just a threat display.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
Pebbles I think was just innocently showing off. Not so sure about Rogue but i don't think she intended any actual harm either, just a threat display.

Yeah that's pretty much my thought on this... And that guy is just caught off guard by it entirely...
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebbles was smiling. I think they were just playing. Neither has a superb grasp on idioms or social customs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: