welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-12-01: Demonique
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crafting reasons? It looks to me that people are trying to understand why, which is a big difference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Crafting reasons? It looks to me that people are trying to understand why, which is a big difference.

Crafting may have been the wrong word to use. Making excuses/saying why it was okay? I mean,it's pretty clear (to me) that she freaked out and stabbed on reflex.

Eh, I just think it's interesting, I suppose. (I'm not really even trying to say this in a backhanded OH ISN'T THAT INTERESTING way. Just the gut reactions to different characters actions seem different at times.)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh. Very Nietzsche-esque.

Night Spade wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't 'Nique's eventual conversion to Androgyne Feminism triggered by the fact that she lured a million men to Hell?

One happened after the other, but I'm not sure they're directly related.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
I admit I find it interesting that a lot of people are crafting reasons for why it seems "OK" that Dreamnique did what she did.

Yinello wrote:
It's difficult to use peaceful methods against those who wish you harm.

I don't think the hands wished her harm, even if they might have hurt her.

I think it was more like the panic, flailed grasping of a drowning person, desperately trying to escape their fate. I mean, they're in *hell*, I would imagine, especially given the daily jabs they get, they're desperate to try and climb out. Slick didn't just sit down and stay there, after all...

Perhaps harmful, but not intentionally, and not even *consciously*.

Good point. From Nique's point of view they are trying to do her harm and thus she lashes out. It's a panic reaction and jabbing them is the quickest way to get them off. It's hard to be reasonable when all you're afraid of what they might do to you.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can see it being also a sort of panic reaction for the damned souls - do they even know what they are grabbing on to? they seem to be below the ground, maybe they are just flailing blindly and holding on to whatever they touch. but that can be frightening to the person they grab onto - just imagine being grabbed by a panicky swimmer who is afraid of drowning.

so i think monique was genuinely trying to save the souls from the pain of being stabbed, but then panicked herself and stabbed to free herself from the hands dragging her down - only to be laughed at because she was performing the very action she stopped ....although for a different reason. so that's why she gave up the pitchfork - she didn't want to be using it, really; she was embarrassed by her own panic reaction.
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a pretty deep point about how evil doesn't come from nowhere. The adage is that hurt people hurt people. Who knows, it might even give her some more empathy and wisdom as to how to approach Slick, since his dark side has its own reasons, too. Recognition as a step towards overcoming.

And maybe also a step towards forgiving her old self, and letting go of some guilt and self-condemnation. She's doing better now, and I think will always try to do better than she has before. But forgiving your older self, who might have been acting out of pain or doing the best they could with what they had, is important in being able to move forward, and to move towards balance.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen that way, it's kind of like that scene in Jesus Christ Superstar, where Jesus starts yelling at the lepers and poor people grabbing at him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: