welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 758, 759, 760 ... 811, 812, 813  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake is not the same as false. Just saying.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

Yeah, actually it kind of is. That's the definition of "fake."
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

I don't even understand what this means.

Like how can this thing be fake but not false?

fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's trying to say that despite it being a joke clip, the way it depicts people who argue for keeping Zwarte Piet is correct?

Which isn't necessarily true because I've actually heard some decent (IE not "It's tradition") arguments for why Zwarte Piet exists (a difference in cultural perception, an alternate more friendly version of Krampus, etc).

That's not to say that it's a good thing, but the video doesn't really do the issue justice, in my opinion.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nancy Silberkleit is accused by her male employees of gender discrimination such as referring to them as 'penis' instead of by name, but Silberkleit contends that the case should be tossed out because white males are not 'a protected class'."
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/archie-boss-calls-male-employees-penis-article-1.1534462

... *Facepalms*.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
"Nancy Silberkleit is accused by her male employees of gender discrimination such as referring to them as 'penis' instead of by name, but Silberkleit contends that the case should be tossed out because white males are not 'a protected class'."
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/archie-boss-calls-male-employees-penis-article-1.1534462

... *Facepalms*.

I'm not overly surprised that the co-CEO of Archie Comics is a nut. You'd have to be to publish the same boring gags and flat characters for 70 consecutive years.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
I think he's trying to say that despite it being a joke clip, the way it depicts people who argue for keeping Zwarte Piet is correct?

Which isn't necessarily true because I've actually heard some decent (IE not "It's tradition") arguments for why Zwarte Piet exists (a difference in cultural perception, an alternate more friendly version of Krampus, etc).

That's not to say that it's a good thing, but the video doesn't really do the issue justice, in my opinion.
Because Zwarte Piet isn't a caricature in Blackface? Please. We had a similar debate about blatant racist stereotypes in this cartoon that's shown every year on Swedish television around christmas.

So yes what I am trying to say is that sometimes "fake" satire can be used to illuminate real debates and real issues...I didn't think that concept would be so controversial.
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archie comics have actually gotten really crazy. Not in the "Archie meets the Punisher!" way, but... as of last time I checked, there were two alternate realities, a major conspiracy/mystery plot, I think murder, etc. In the past several years, they moved way away from the static, unchanging characters and jokes. Let them finally resolve the Betty/Veronica thing too, I believe.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i read this story because how can you not read about giant wombats but then it ends with this bang that makes you wonder how anything ever survived in australia ever:
Quote:
It is home to an array of prehistoric treasures, including the remains of a tree-dwelling crocodile, a carnivorous rat kangaroo and a marsupial lion.

i mean, fuck - you not only had carnivorous kangaroos, but the trees were full of crocodiles? WHAT KIND OF CRAZY INFESTED THIS PLACE?

a marsupial lion sounds absolutely relaxing after all of that.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Hunt for Bigfoot goes wrong. Wronger than hunting for Bigfoot in Oklahoma, even.
I blame The Discovery Channel for this.

And then there's this guy.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit enters bankruptcy.

Quote:
The city of Detroit today officially became the largest municipality in U.S. history to enter Chapter 9 bankruptcy after U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes declared it met the specific legal criteria required to receive protection from its creditors.

The landmark ruling ends more than four months of uncertainty over the fate of the case and sets the stage for a fierce clash over how to slash an estimated $18 billion in debt and long-term liabilities that have hampered Detroit from attacking pervasive blight and violent crime.

“It is indeed a momentous day,” Rhodes said at the end of a 90-minute summary of his ruling. “We have here a judicial finding that this once proud city cannot pay its debts. At the same time, it has an opportunity for a fresh start. I hope that everybody associated with the city will recognize that opportunity.”

Rhodes — in a surprise decision this morning — also said he’ll allow pension cuts in Detroit's bankruptcy. Rhodes emphasized that he won’t necessarily agree to pension cuts in the city’s final reorganization plan unless the entire plan is fair and equitable.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a frankly hilarious relevant note:

Joachim Stroink apologizes for Zwarte Piet blackface photo

Quote:
An emotional Joachim Stroink fought back tears Monday afternoon as he apologized for a photo he posted of himself posing with the controversial blackface Dutch character Zwarte Piet.

"I do acknowledge that the whole blackface culture, there is no place for that in Nova Scotia, nor in our culture. There was no malicious intent. This is a Dutch tradition I grew up with and never in my deepest heart thought that this would be portrayed in this manner," said the Halifax MLA.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131204/10434025453/dhs-puts-witness-trial-over-legality-no-fly-list-no-fly-list-making-her-late-her-testimony.shtml

Quote:
As you my have heard, there's a trial going on here in San Francisco about the legality of the complete lack of any sort of due process concerning the US's "no fly" list. The NY Times has a good background article on the case, which notes that somewhere around 700,000 people appear to be on the list, where there's basically no oversight of the list and no recourse if you happen to be placed on the list. This lawsuit, by Rahinah Ibrahim (who had been a Stanford PhD student) is challenging that.
Quote:
In that case, a Stanford University Ph.D. student named Rahinah Ibrahim was prevented from boarding a flight at San Francisco International Airport in 2005, and was handcuffed and detained by the police. Ultimately, she was allowed to fly to Malaysia, her home country, but she has been unable to return to the United States because the State Department revoked her student visa.

According to court filings, two agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation visited Ms. Ibrahim a week before her trip and asked about her religious activities (she is Muslim), her husband and what she might know of a Southeast Asian terrorist organization. A summary of that interview obtained by Ms. Ibrahim’s lawyer includes a code indicating that the visit was related to an international terrorism investigation, but it is not clear what other evidence — like email or phone records — was part of that inquiry.

The Identity Project blog is covering the trial, which kicked off earlier this week with a ridiculous situation, highlighted by BoingBoing. Apparently, one of the people set to testify in the case, Ibrahim's oldest daughter, Raihan Mustafa Kamal (an American citizen, born in the US), was blocked from boarding her flight to the US to appear at the trial, and told that she was on the no fly list as well. Kamal, a lawyer, was an eye witness to her mother being blocked from boarding her flight. The US knew that Kamal was set to testify and from all indications, in a move that appears extremely petty, appears to have purposely blocked her from flying to the US. Kamal was directly told by the airline that DHS had ordered them not to let Kamal to board. The airline even gave her a phone number for a Customs and Border Patrol office in Miami, telling her to call that concerning her not being able to board.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in Mexico, one or more truck hijackers have probably died or are currently dying a slow and painful death as a direct result of their theft.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Anyway, I heard about this last week but of course The Internet has pix.

Shockingly, that didn't go as bad as it could have if this information had come to light earlier.
Yes, it could actually have gone worse for JPMorgan Chase than it did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 758, 759, 760 ... 811, 812, 813  Next
Page 759 of 813

Jump to: