welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 743, 744, 745 ... 755, 756, 757  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Dear Sinfest, a friend of mine has fallen into the conspiracy theorist...for lack of a better word, madness. Free masons, illuminati, Azelia Banks sold her soul to the Dark Lord, the works. It's mostly her brother's fault but I am at a bit of a loss at what to do. She's not stupid and I don't want to talk down to her but anytime I've tried to address the issue...I've gone way too academic and obscure. What to do?

Swallow your frustration in person and vomit it forth onto random internet forums.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what these symbols are that I keep seeing?

🎉💋

Google won't search for them.
In case they actually work for you, I see little boxes with 2 rows of text.
top row, 01F
second row, assorted numbers. these include 389 and 48B.

I have seen them on Twitter and Facebook, among other places.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like this on my tablet (I signed up for Flickr to show you that, ugh).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56102451@N06/
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me they look like a carrot and a set of lips.

don't know what the first thing is supposed to be on Dogen's - fireworks coming out of a cone?

what sort of stuff are you looking at anyway, Yorick?
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the carrot is some sort of party thing with confetti.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Him wrote:
Dear Sinfest, a friend of mine has fallen into the conspiracy theorist...for lack of a better word, madness. Free masons, illuminati, Azelia Banks sold her soul to the Dark Lord, the works. It's mostly her brother's fault but I am at a bit of a loss at what to do. She's not stupid and I don't want to talk down to her but anytime I've tried to address the issue...I've gone way too academic and obscure. What to do?

Swallow your frustration in person and vomit it forth onto random internet forums.

Ask her for proof and record what she says over a long period of time.

Invariably you will find major contradictions in these so called "clues," and at that point you must confront her with them.

Your entire friendship depends on you doing so.

Alternatively, you could just accept that your banking system is majorly corrupted by private interest groups at this point.
Him

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Him wrote:

Done.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Him wrote:

Done.

Seriously though, I only say that because I've never actually seen someone actually stop being a conspiracy theorist. I've seen plenty of people devolve to that state but mostly I've just seen them get crazier.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a reserve of very bland statements that sound agreeable but really aren't agreeing to anything for just such an occasion.

"I hadn't thought of it like that before." is an old standby.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:

🎉💋

top row, 01F

I zoomed in, and the first is a party horn with confetti. The second is a pair of lips.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:

🎉💋

top row, 01F

The first symbol has an astrological significance which means 'Rhea in the House of Mars' and is a portent of upheaval and fundamental change. The convoluted system of epicycles in ancient astronomical systems usually mean that this only happens at irregular but extremely long intervals, the shortest being 12,800 years ago, which coincides with the onset of the Younger Dryas event. This had to have been retroactively determined, since human civilization is only 10K years old (before that conditions were too cold and climatically unstable to allow for permanent agricultural settlements). The star called 'Rhea' itself is a bit of a mystery, since it doesn't show up in any of the ancient astronomical tables we can find. There's a theory that it was a supernova which lit up the skies and outshone the moon, like a nighttime sun, shortly before people began to settle and farm and was only preserved in oral traditions rather than something seen by ancient astronomers who lived in literate times.

The second symbol is pre-Akkadian. In the Old World it survives only on the walls of unlooted burial mounds, the pristine crypts of tyrants and high priests who were too feared in death for the love of wealth to make their graves an auspicious target of ransacking, and as crude graffiti on the ceilings of a few Eurasian cave systems which are thought to be naturally-occurring. There's one instance from Mongolia, and I can't find a picture of it on The Googlenets, where a limestone stalactite/stalagmite column was actually growing partially over one of those carved symbols, in a recessed chamber about 40 feet high. This is something of a riddle, because the typical rate of stalactite growth (.0051" per year) is usually too slow to allow it to cover man-made carvings that quickly. Not to mention, how did ancient people reach that height in the dark, without disturbing the delicate limestone formations?
Tantalizingly, it's also been found in the old brick cellars of some colonial New England homes, and jawbones with this symbol scrimshawed into them have been unearthed in mounds created by Amerindian cultures that filled in gaps between the Archaic and Formative stages. Probably it was a Native American symbol that caught the colonizing Europeans' fancy and was picked up by "secret societies" (read: private drinking clubs for old rich men) for a while prior to the Revolutionary War.
Before the concept of zero was developed independently in the Old and New World civilizations, it's believed that this glyph served a related but more complex, ritualistic, and less purely mathematical function. The closest approximation is "the void" or "the utmost emptiness."
Because it's one of those symbols that shows up in cultures across the globe, like a sunwheel or a swastika, Victorian scholars posited an ancient Eurasian origin for it that was supposed to pre-date the migration to North and South America. Some even tied it to the "lost continent" of Lemuria, which was supposed to have existed in the Indian ocean but sunk like Atlantis. With things like "Plate Tectonics," Lemuria has pretty much fallen out of fashion among mainstream scientists.

I'm not sure why you're seeing them together so often. That particular combination has shown up in marginal decoration for some copies of the Picatrix, two different places in the Voynich manuscript, on the scrollwork inside some Rosicrucian houses, a pendant said to be worn by John Dee, and scribbled on a napkin in the hotel room of Huey Long after his assassination.
In the old works it's usually meant to convey an upheaval in the substance of the void, which is supposed to initiate a kind of cataclysmic change here in the 'mortal' realm as things realign in the levels above and below. This is usually when pantheons go through violent churning and purges, with the victorious new gods taking over for the old ones, and all kinds of natural disasters follow as the balance is upset until a new order sets in, different from the last. It's part of the cyclical nature of old religions and worldviews. Not really something I'd expect to be spread about on MyfaceSpacebook. Not sure I like it, though. That almost seems... ominous.
Yorick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

based on the replies obviously this is some pictogram font that's not on my computer.
Folks I follow keep posting these things that don't work for me, so how was I to know what they mean.

edit: don't work on my android phone, either.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

I can't remember the exact video, but I believe Philhellenes from youtube had good advice for these situations. He suggests bringing up things your friend is skeptical of, and comparing those things to the things they believe in.

Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Him wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Him wrote:

Done.

Seriously though, I only say that because I've never actually seen someone actually stop being a conspiracy theorist. I've seen plenty of people devolve to that state but mostly I've just seen them get crazier.

I think the best approach is disengaging for the most part and wait until they realize their mistake. It's not really like debating them is going to work.

sporko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
mouse wrote:

based on the replies obviously this is some pictogram font that's not on my computer.
Folks I follow keep posting these things that don't work for me, so how was I to know what they mean.

edit: don't work on my android phone, either.

they're emojis; it's a keyboard option on apple products
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 743, 744, 745 ... 755, 756, 757  Next
Page 744 of 757

Jump to: