welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 761, 762, 763 ... 815, 816, 817  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
new mexico is the 17th state to legalize gay marriage.

not the state i would have guess would be next in line, but it sounds like they have some clear-thinking judges:
Quote:
Justices weighed this amendment against the opposition’s argument that prohibiting same-sex marriage was necessary to protect the government’s “overriding interest of responsible procreation and childrearing.”

The justices said in their opinion that such interest played no role in the development of the state’s marriage regulations. Its purpose, they contended, is to “bring stability and order to the legal relationship of committed couples” by defining their responsibilities to one another, as well as their children if they choose to have them, and to their property.

“Procreation,” wrote Justice Edward L. Chavez, author of the opinion, “has never been a condition of marriage under New Mexico law, as evidenced by the fact that the aged, the infertile and those who choose not to have children are not precluded from marrying.”

now if we can only get the rest of the states to understand that really, marriage is not about your responsibility to the state to pump out babies, maybe we can get this finally settled.

That's an awe inspiring quote
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's just sensible. that's the only reason the state even cares about marriage, because it's a contract, and the state is ultimately responsible for enforcing contracts.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A&E suspended the head of the World-Record-Holding reality TV show, Duck Dynasty, after he made some homophobic comments to GQ.

Oh man, the comments on these articles are simply mindfuck worthy. Also, if I had a dollar for every time someone used the term "free speech", I'd be able to pay off the US debt right now.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like we need a new class in our high school curriculum where students spend a couple weeks writing "freedom of speech does not mean freedom from responsibility for your speech" over and over.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was wrong for A&E to fire good ol' Mr. Robertson for espressin' God's opinion. We got freedom o' speech in this country, and if you don't love it, then leave it!
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a break from the cries of freedom of speech, I read someone "just saying" that it was interesting that people were outraged over whatshisface's comments, but not over the starving children in Africa.

Honestly, I think 99% of the time if you use the phrase "starving children in Africa" and do not, say, actively work for a charity raising money for said children, you should be slapped. Are people also not allowed to be happy because someone out there is a billionaire swimming in money with a garage full of shiny vintage cars?
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, the conservatives of America (Or at least, the ones without brains, apparently) are lining up around the block to support this apparent war on free speech.
Quote:
Newt Gingrich, left, has compared Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson to Pope Francis.

I WISH I WAS FUCKING KIDDING.

At least Jon Stewart gave Fox News a good roasting over it.

BUT WAIT IT GETS EVEN BETTER

According to Fox News' Geraldo Rivera, the term "cocksucking faggot" (the usage of which cost Alec Baldwin his job) isn't a homophobic slur because he used it as a kid, and really it's just a conspiracy by gay fundamentalists to remove Alec Baldwin and Phil Robertson.

Excuse me, I'll be in the corner weeping for the fate of humanity. My signature quote has never seemed so applicable.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You remember the guy in New Mexico who was subjected to repeated cavity searches up to and including a colonoscopy for the crime of being nervous at a traffic stop? Along that same line:
"Drug Warriors Kidnap and Sexually Assault a Woman After Getting Permission From a Dog"

Quote:
First the agents strip-searched the plaintiff, examining her anus and vagina with a flashlight. Finding nothing, they took her to the University Medical Center of El Paso, where they forced her to take a laxative and produce a bowel movement in their presence. Again they found no evidence of contraband. At this point one of their accomplices, a physician named Christopher Cabanillas, ordered an X-ray, which likewise found nothing suspicious. Then the plaintiff "endured a forced gynecological exam" and rectal probing at the hands of another doctor, Michael Parsa. Still nothing. Finally, Cabanillas ordered a CT scan of the plaintiff's abdomen and pelvis, which found no sign of illegal drugs. "After the CT scan," the complaint says, "a CBP [Customs and Border Patrol] agent presented Ms. Doe with a choice: she could either sign a medical consent form, despite the fact that she had not consented, in which case CBP would pay for the cost of the searches; or if she refused to sign the consent form, she would be billed for the cost of the searches." She refused, and later the hospital sent her a bill for $5,000, apparently the going rate for sexual assault and gratuitous radiological bombardment.

(Here's a CBS Local article for those who don't like reason.com, but that headline was too amazing not to use)
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
A&E suspended the head of the World-Record-Holding reality TV show, Duck Dynasty, after he made some homophobic comments to GQ.

Oh man, the comments on these articles are simply mindfuck worthy. Also, if I had a dollar for every time someone used the term "free speech", I'd be able to pay off the US debt right now.

Which has given rise to this:

https://www.aclu.org/blog/tag/ndaa

Oh yeah, NDAA FY14 passed with minimal media coverage over the loss of human rights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Him

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that note: How A Wealthy, Clean-Cut ‘Duck Dynasty’ Tricked The World For Publicity

Mindslicer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melissa Harris-Perry thinks one of Mitt Romney's grandchildren is hilarious.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:

Uh, it appears they're amused by the possibility of someone having both Kanye West and Mitt Romney as inlaws at the same time.

... How is that mocking the black grandson?

I agree it's in poor taste, mind.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile Republicans are even less accepting of evolution than before, keeping the overall national average about where's been for years: 60% acceptance.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:

Uh, it appears they're amused by the possibility of someone having both Kanye West and Mitt Romney as inlaws at the same time.

MHP: "Any captions for this one?"
guest: "One of these things is not like the other..."
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:

MHP: "Any captions for this one?"
guest: "One of these things is not like the other..."

I should note I was going by the article (as I had not had time to watch the video), and they'd only seemed to complain about the JayZ thing.

Yes, that's in bad taste and uncalled for.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 761, 762, 763 ... 815, 816, 817  Next
Page 762 of 817

Jump to: