welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Favorite Television
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's impossible not to know what's going on in the main continuity of Supernatural so far. Partway through season 2 and all they've done so far is angst over what happened in season 1 while occasionally breaking to kill horrific monsters.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love just fucking downloading and not paying for shit so I tend to follow a lot of shows at any given time (given that I'm not actually able to watch them when they air or through any legal manner I don't give a shit anyway). Missing an episode is not something that happens so I'm pretty cool with shows that move fast (or in absurd directions, the last season of True Blood doesn't make sense even if you watch all the episodes).

Then again, I might have watched too many shows. Got about 60 on my drive right now and a few more I haven't bothered to download. (or already own on dvd)

mouse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez, i'd already forgotten about true blood. i keep watching that one, but i suspect i won't bother in the future. not sure why i did this year.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS I have to watch Walking Dead with a drink in hand. Though it does make me want to read the comics just to see if Andrea is any less dumb in them.

But also whoa, everything is messed up. How is the zombie genre ever going to be done with a straight face after this show? So far Warm Bodies is the only movie and it certainly doesn't take zombies seriously.

Finnegan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warm Bodies totally ripped off my idea for a ZomRomCom that I told absolutely no one about while thousands of people (if not more) simultaneously came up with similar ideas (mostly due to the rhyme, I think).

also, I think I probably ripped the idea off Zombieland.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, anyone have any thoughts on Klugman's snub? I mean, the man won THREE Emmy's, died last December, yet he doesn't get a nod in their memorial tribute even though Cory Monteith (whose contribution to the medium was minimal) gets and award because his death was horrific? Um, I'm pretty sure that's not what these awards are about. It's supposed to be recognition by your peers for a contribution to the medium/art, not for having a tragic death.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/jack-klugmans-son-calls-dads-omission-in-tv-academys-special-in-memoriam-tribute-criminal-ap/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
So, anyone have any thoughts on Klugman's snub? I mean, the man won THREE Emmy's, died last December, yet he doesn't get a nod in their memorial tribute even though Cory Monteith (whose contribution to the medium was minimal) gets and award because his death was horrific? Um, I'm pretty sure that's not what these awards are about. It's supposed to be recognition by your peers for a contribution to the medium/art, not for having a tragic death.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/jack-klugmans-son-calls-dads-omission-in-tv-academys-special-in-memoriam-tribute-criminal-ap/

Whats horrific about yet another junkie dying of a heroin overdose? It happens all the time, to younger people than him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the academy's rational and paraphrasing their words:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/emmys-ep-defends-choice-of-monteith-for-individual-tribute-during-sundays-ceremony/
Quote:
Cory Monteith will be among the deceased to whom special tribute is paid at Sunday’s Primetime Emmy Awards in an effort to appeal to a younger generation, the Emmy show’s exec producer Ken Ehrlich told reporters on a conference call this morning. On Monday, CBS and the TV Academy announced that, in addition to what has become the traditional In Memoriam segment, the Emmycast also will include special tributes to recently deceased industry figures James Gandolfini, Gary David Goldberg, Jonathan Winters, Jean Stapleton and Monteith. Some reporters on the call questioned the inclusion of the former Glee star, while others felt more deserving folks, including Larry Hagman and Jack Klugman, were left out.

“Cory’s appeal was to maybe a little different generation than some of the others, and we felt they needed to be represented,” Ehrlich said, reminding the reporters Monteith was “just 31” when he died under “very tragic circumstances.” “It was important to be responsive to younger viewers, to whom Cory Monteith meant as much as the other four individuals meant to their own generations. We made the choice it was important to have, as part of these segments.” Ehrlich admitted that when the decision was made to include Monteith, “there was discussion about the fact that this probably is going to become an interesting topic of conversation. We stand by what we’re doing.”

BTW, they're trying to keep it interesting http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/emmys-in-memoriam-tributes/ Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that shit. I absolutely hate that heroin overdose is listed as "very tragic".

Getting hit by a drunk driver is very tragic.
Having a brain embolism out of the blue is very tragic.
Developing cancer and dying of that is very tragic.

Heroin overdose is completely preventable, and people who use that shit in this day and age don't even have "I didn't know" to fall back on. It's a shame he was an addict but lets leave very tragic for the people who die through no fault of their own.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
I hate that shit. I absolutely hate that heroin overdose is listed as "very tragic".

Heroin overdose is completely preventable, and people who use that shit in this day and age don't even have "I didn't know" to fall back on. It's a shame he was an addict but lets leave very tragic for the people who die through no fault of their own.

its a more complex problem than you're making it here.

heroin use is preventable, but if you have a society full of depressed people looking for a high then you have the perfect recipe for disaster. There are many countries that approach heroin addicts in a very different way than methadone that often times prevents overdose.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but that kinda falls apart when you're balls rich. Sure it's part of a bigger problem, but it's hardly tragic. He wasn't someone of legendary caliber, his accomplishments were minimum at best.

This is really about the politics of Hollywood and TV. In the article where they defend him, they even talk about how the Emmy's are losing popularity. Do you know what the Emmy's are even for?

Quote:
The mission of the Academy is to promote creativity, diversity, innovation and excellence through recognition, education and leadership in the advancement of the telecommunications arts and sciences.

This wasn't about that, it was just to try and get ratings, to attract a younger following.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwadd wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

its a more complex problem than you're making it here.

heroin use is preventable, but if you have a society full of depressed people looking for a high then you have the perfect recipe for disaster. There are many countries that approach heroin addicts in a very different way than methadone that often times prevents overdose.

There are 7 billion people on the planet, many people make bad life decisions that cost them their lives. That isn't "very tragic" it's life. Huge swaths of very depressed people manage their depression without falling into a drug whose consequences have been well known for decades.

I'm not saying it's not a bad thing that happened or ha ha just desserts, or even that heroin users should just be left to rot, but very tragic should belong to people who die from things other than their own bad life decisions.

Edit: especially when your career path is fortunate enough to give you the money for the best help you can get.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
I was using the academy's rational and paraphrasing their words:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/emmys-ep-defends-choice-of-monteith-for-individual-tribute-during-sundays-ceremony/
Quote:
Cory Monteith will be among the deceased to whom special tribute is paid at Sunday’s Primetime Emmy Awards in an effort to appeal to a younger generation,

i think that's the whole reason right there, especially when you couple it with the fact that the Emmy's are losing popularity. to keep it popular, you have to get the youth segment interested, and you don't get all that many young celebrities dying in a year, so you have to take what you've got.

in the meantime, jack klugman will continue to live on, not only in memory but in the huge body of work he left behind.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally getting some fresh material out of The Science Channel's Survivorman in Jungles of Grenada. Either he's getting slower after all these years, or Grenada's mountainous jungle terrain is just that much more difficult than all the other jungles and mountains he's been in before. I could believe either one.
Some notable difference between what happened this time and what has traditionally been the case is that his food/shelter situation is reversed. Usually he'd have a pretty decent shelter and just enough food to keep from starving to death in his week-long isolation. This time he has plenty of food, thanks to an abandoned farm with some remaining fruit and coconut trees, but almost no shelter to speak of. He's been sleeping on the bare dirt, getting ants all up in his shit, and huddling under a trash bag to keep the nightly rains off him. Also, he's only been going a few hundred yards from camp each day instead of moving out to find some kind of road, flat land, or coastline. And it's been raining so much he didn't even bother to make a fire for the first few days.

It's setting up a fairly different feel from a lot of previous episodes where he's been chronically hungry, relatively well-sheltered, always making a fire, and constantly on the move, sometimes trekking miles in a single direction each day.

It may just be me, but the amount and frequency of commercial interruptions seemed horrific. There might be like five continuous minutes of show in between breaks.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting into Sleepy Hollow but for some reason every time I try to sit down and watch episode 4 I get distracted and lose all track of what's going on. I'm on attempt 2 and I still couldn't even begin to tell you what the episode is about. I don't even think it's the shows fault, I just have zero attention span lately. I might have to shelf it for a while and get back to it later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 51 of 54

Jump to: